Re: [coldwarcomms] AT&T Oak Hill, CA

  • Wayne M H
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 30, 2002
      On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 01:04:46 -0500 (EST), "Michael W. Jacobs"
      <mwj116@...> wrote:

      >Note several large coax cables entering the station in the picture at:
      >http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Oak_Hill_CA/Oak_Hill_CA-052.html
      >
      >I'd say it was also a power-feed station on a coax route. Maybe some sidelegs
      >also. It looks pretty small for any serious mux system rearrangements. I'm
      >not home so I don't have access to my maps yet. Any ideas where in CA this is?

      I'm not familiar with coax but looking at my higher res picture, the
      coax doesn't have the multiple conductors I've seen in coax from
      other's pictures. There's just something in the center and then what
      would probably be the dielectric outside of it.

      The area there near the demarc looked like it did have equipment on
      racks at one time.

      If I'm down in the area again I'll stop and look. The site, from my
      maps, doesn't have great enough detail to tell if the L-carrier route
      stopped there or not. I've been told it stopped at the San Jose office
      (A few minutes north) though.

      In regards to the history of Oak Hill, I don't know it. I've yet to
      meet any current or former San Fran Comm Techs.

      -Wayne
    • Wayne M H
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 30, 2002
        On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 17:43:09 -0000, "s92187"
        <tmichaels@...> wrote:

        <snip>
        >The maps I have show only one microwave route to/from Oak Hill,
        >however the photos clearly show microwave antennas aimed in more than
        >one direction.

        FWIW...

        The map I have that seems post-1979 shows Oak Hill with a MW path to
        Starr Canyon (aka "Hogsback" and was moved from the San Jose office in
        1975), Walpert Ridge, Redwood City (1974 along the path), Loma Prieta
        (1975 along the path), and possibly others to the San Jose office.

        Another map, or diagram rather, with "AT&T Communications" at the
        bottom has Oak Hill with a Lenkurt path to Sunnyvale (Now a PacBell
        switch), a DR11 / 609E(?) path to Redwood City (Current AT&T Office),
        lightguide to San Jose 02, WLEL(?) to San Jose 02, and TD2 / 609E to
        Loma Prieta, and the 11GHz Lenkurt dual path to Starr (For Pacheco
        Pass).

        Since Nextel moved in some horns were removed.

        -Wayne
      • Matthew Sadler
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2002
          For some reason, I wanna say that WLEL is Wire Line Entrance Link... can't
          remember where I think I saw that, though...

          --mws

        • long-lines@att.net
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2002
            On 30 Nov 2002 at 23:20, Wayne M H wrote:

            > On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 01:04:46 -0500 (EST), "Michael W. Jacobs"
            > <mwj116@...> wrote:
            >
            > >Note several large coax cables entering the station in the picture at:
            > >http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Oak_Hill_CA/Oak_Hill_CA-052.html
            > >
            > >I'd say it was also a power-feed station on a coax route. Maybe some sidelegs
            > >also. It looks pretty small for any serious mux system rearrangements. I'm
            > >not home so I don't have access to my maps yet. Any ideas where in CA this is?
            >
            > I'm not familiar with coax but looking at my higher res picture, the
            > coax doesn't have the multiple conductors I've seen in coax from
            > other's pictures. There's just something in the center and then what
            > would probably be the dielectric outside of it.
            >
            > The area there near the demarc looked like it did have equipment on
            > racks at one time.

            It looks like L-Carrier coax to me (L3/L3-I?). The photo is a tad dark and a little too
            far away to be sure, but having seen cut cable ends in person I believe that's what
            they are. The "rails" on the right-hand wall would have been where the cables were
            probably "dressed out" (though this is also probably true of non-L-carrier cable too);
            and as you noted there was evidently some amount of equipment in the foreground
            judging by the markings on the floor.

            I can't seem to find any really good pictures that would show what one of these
            looks like up close, but here are a couple other resources:

            http://users.rcn.com/franehunt/ATT-1953.jpg (L1 dressed out)
            http://www.sew-lexicon.com/L-4_cable_cross-section.htm (L4 cross-section)
            http://www19.addr.com/~longline/documents/L5splice.jpg (L5 splice)

            Does any know of other photos on the like like this of L-Carroer coax?

            Chad Perkins
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 2, 2002
              --- In coldwarcomms@y..., long-lines@a... wrote:
              > On 30 Nov 2002 at 23:20, Wayne M H wrote:
              >
              > > On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 01:04:46 -0500 (EST), "Michael W. Jacobs"
              > > <mwj116@p...> wrote:
              > >
              > > >Note several large coax cables entering the station in the
              picture at:

              >http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Oak_Hill_CA/Oak_Hill_CA-052.h
              tml

              > > >I'd say it was also a power-feed station on a coax route. Maybe
              some sidelegs
              > > >also. It looks pretty small for any serious mux system
              rearrangements. I'm
              > > >not home so I don't have access to my maps yet. Any ideas where
              in CA this is?

              > > I'm not familiar with coax but looking at my higher res picture,
              the
              > > coax doesn't have the multiple conductors I've seen in coax from
              > > other's pictures. There's just something in the center and then
              what
              > > would probably be the dielectric outside of it.
              > >
              > > The area there near the demarc looked like it did have equipment
              on
              > > racks at one time.
              >
              > It looks like L-Carrier coax to me (L3/L3-I?). The photo is a tad
              dark and a little too
              > far away to be sure, but having seen cut cable ends in person I
              believe that's what
              > they are. The "rails" on the right-hand wall would have been where
              the cables were
              > probably "dressed out" (though this is also probably true of
              non-L-carrier cable too);
              > and as you noted there was evidently some amount of equipment in the
              foreground
              > judging by the markings on the floor.
              >
              > I can't seem to find any really good pictures that would show what
              one of these
              > looks like up close, but here are a couple other resources:
              >
              > http://users.rcn.com/franehunt/ATT-1953.jpg (L1 dressed out)
              > http://www.sew-lexicon.com/L-4_cable_cross-section.htm (L4
              cross-section)
              > http://www19.addr.com/~longline/documents/L5splice.jpg (L5 splice)
              >
              > Does any know of other photos on the like like this of L-Carroer
              coax?

              There is an L1/3 hut interior pic in: files,site photos,att
              va,lhut.jpg.

              I'm pretty sure this was an L3 route(or even L1 originally); and from
              the history so far it appears that the radio station was built on the
              cable route,probably an L repeater hut(almost certainly if it was 3,6
              or 9 miles from the San Jose CO) & would have retained the repeaters
              in the building.

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2002
                I've posted a low-compression, full-size version of the cable-entry area
                image, with the brightness exaggerated:

                http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Oak_Hill_CA/Oak_Hill_CA-052A.jpg

                Based on this image, I think what we're seeing is rubber sealing caps
                fastened over the cut-off ends of cables (coaxial or wire-pair), or over the
                ends of empty conduits. I'm pretty sure I've seen such caps used for these
                purposes at other AT&T sites. They look similar to the "Fernco [brand]
                caps" used in the plumbing trade to close off dead ends of drain pipes.
                They're made of thick black synthetic rubber and are secured by a
                stainless-steel hose clamp.

                Albert
              • blitz
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2002
                  Albert,
                  Just as an aside, this url is loading at 600 bytes per second...first try
                  couldn't find the site.
                  Connectivity probs today?

                  None on my end....things been ok all day here. Just thought you'd want to know.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 2, 2002
                    Thanks, I tried to upload some new images a while ago and the connection was
                    extremely slow for me too.

                    It began working OK later, and I was able to post ten more images. They're
                    the last ten thumbnails at:

                    http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Oak_Hill_CA/index.html

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 3, 2002
                      I did dome diagnostics just after I posted that, and yes they had some REAL
                      net constipation...looking ok now however. (Frustrated DNS it appeared).

                      At 19:41 12/2/02 -0500, you wrote:
                      >Thanks, I tried to upload some new images a while ago and the connection was
                      >extremely slow for me too.
                      >
                      >It began working OK later, and I was able to post ten more images. They're
                      >the last ten thumbnails at:
                      >
                      >http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Oak_Hill_CA/index.html
                      >
                      >Albert

                    • kb9yku
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 3, 2002
                        to me them look like plugs that get titned up to stop leaks
                        like the rubber ones with a bolt in the center that makes it fatter wane
                        you tighten them up a pre cast hole in concrete would be a fine use for them

                        At 03:48 PM 12/2/02 -0500, Albert LaFrance wrote:
                        >I've posted a low-compression, full-size version of the cable-entry area
                        >image, with the brightness exaggerated:
                        >
                        ><http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Oak_Hill_CA/Oak_Hill_CA-052A.jpg>http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Oak_Hill_CA/Oak_Hill_CA-052A.jpg
                        >
                        >Based on this image, I think what we're seeing is rubber sealing caps
                        >fastened over the cut-off ends of cables (coaxial or wire-pair), or over the
                        >ends of empty conduits. I'm pretty sure I've seen such caps used for these
                        >purposes at other AT&T sites. They look similar to the "Fernco [brand]
                        >caps" used in the plumbing trade to close off dead ends of drain pipes.
                        >They're made of thick black synthetic rubber and are secured by a
                        >stainless-steel hose clamp.
                        >
                        >Albert
                        >

                        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705059529:HM/A=1328027/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870030;7586687;u?http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>22e3dc4.jpg
                        >22e3e00.jpg

                      • dsandow
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 3, 2002
                          > I can't seem to find any really good pictures that would show what
                          one of these
                          > looks like up close, but here are a couple ......

                          A closeup shot of 3 coax cables
                          1. 20-tube L4/L5
                          2. SF submarine
                          3. "Great Eastern" telegraph cable ca. 1860 (armored, gutta percha
                          dielectric partially deteriorated)

                          http://users.tellurian.net/sandow/cables.jpg

                          Feel free to copy this photo to a more permanent archive site.
                        • kb9yku
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 3, 2002
                            look at http://radio.ee.psu.edu/l5/clarksville/DSC00726.JPG
                            and you will so both kinds the ones you was talking about the fernco kind
                            and the duck plugs i was talking about
                            ken kb9yku