Followup: Re: AT&T Catawba OH

  • Paul J Zawada
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2002
      I had a few minutes of spare time at work so just for fun I looked up
      some location information and ran a few path profiles. I put PDFs in
      a new folder called "Path Profiles" in the files section.

      First, I ran a profile of the path from Catawba to Laveque tower in
      downtown Columbus. I used 104 ft as the height at Catawba and 450 on
      the Laveque side. Then changed the east end of the path to be the
      Ohio Bell/AT&T CO in downtown Columbus. An old AT&T license put the
      horns on top of the building to be about 270 ft. You can see how
      there appears to still be line of site between the two points, but
      the terrain cuts into the first fresnel zone around the line-of-site
      path. If you were to redraw the terrain adding height for trees, the
      terrain could significantly cut into the path. So using the original
      concrete silo at Catwaba in conjunction with the the Columbus CO
      would likely have caused problems for AT&T. When you look at the
      third profile, replacing the 104-ft silo with a 450-ft guyed tower,
      you can see how the fresnel clearance is restored. So this evidence
      further backs Terry's theory about the guyed tower at Catawba...

      --zawada