WESTAR earth stations

  • Matthew Sadler
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2002
      Anyone know anything about the old Western Union WESTAR earth stations? Went
      out to burn some gas and put a bunch of miles on the car this afternoon and
      drove out to the old Estill Fork, Alabama site. The satellite dish and
      microwave terminal tower are both still there... the dish is around 20 feet
      diameter, fully adjustable in all directions, and the tower is about 50 or
      60 feet tall with two solid parabolic dishes at the top. My records note
      that this is 11 GHz radio up to a microwave relay station on top of the
      mountain (the earth station is located in a deep pocket in the middle of
      nowhere), which then goes on towards Atlanta on 6 GHz.

      The facility is now the "Paint Rock Cove" or something like that hunting
      lodge. Bet that dish gets ALL the channels. :)

      Sorry, no pictures, the sun was in the wrong place. I'll have to go back
      sometime late in the afternoon, otherwise nothing would turn out properly. I
      did also drive by the microwave relay site on top of the mountain, it has
      been disassembled and the tower and four dishes are laying on the ground.
      Apparently the National Weather Service acquired the site from WU in the
      1990s, 'cause in 1997 they put up the Hytop, Alabama WSR-88D radar there
      instead.

      Which brings up a question - what frequency band does the WSR-88D use?

      --mws