Possible L-1 repeater site?

  • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 1999
      Attached is a picture of an abandoned building located north of
      Chattanooga, TN. This site has been abandoned for at least a few
      years... I know it wasn't used for water/sewer purposes in the past, so
      I'm thinking this may have been used on the L-1 route from Chattanooga
      to Knoxville (or for some other long distance or local telephone
      service).

      Any assistance is appreciated.
      --
      Matthew, KF4LHP ICQ: 6280641
      Web: http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/ EMail: kf4lhp@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 1999
        Matthew,

        My knowledge and experience with this stuff is pretty limited, but FWIW, I
        think your picture may show a repeater hut for local telco inter-office
        trunks, possibly a T-carrier system.

        There's an abandoned structure near my home, roughly halfway between two
        COs, which I'm pretty sure served that purpose. It's definitely not AT&T;
        it has C&P Telephone (now Bell Atlantic) signs. It has characteristics
        similar to what you're seeing - brick, with a flat roof, and a chain-link
        fence. I assume it was abandoned when the trunks were converted to fiber
        optics.

        I don't know about L-1 sites, but most of the later AT&T L-carrier repeater
        huts I've seen have more elaborate architecture, with features such as
        gabled roofs, overhanging eaves, decorative doors, windows, and fancy
        brickwork details.

        That being said, I hope someone on this list will have an authoritative
        answer!

        ...Albert

        >Attached is a picture of an abandoned building located north of
        >Chattanooga, TN. This site has been abandoned for at least a few
        >years... I know it wasn't used for water/sewer purposes in the past, so
        >I'm thinking this may have been used on the L-1 route from Chattanooga
        >to Knoxville (or for some other long distance or local telephone
        >service).
      • Dave Emery
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 1999
          On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 08:40:11PM -0500, Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP wrote:
          > Attached is a picture of an abandoned building located north of
          > Chattanooga, TN. This site has been abandoned for at least a few
          > years... I know it wasn't used for water/sewer purposes in the past, so
          > I'm thinking this may have been used on the L-1 route from Chattanooga
          > to Knoxville (or for some other long distance or local telephone
          > service).

          Looks like a fairly modern repeater facility for something.
          The building does not look old enough to be a repeater for an early
          L cable, but it is remotely possibly a repeater for a relatively
          recent one (L4 or L5), These usually had marked cable runs going
          to and from them, so if yours does not it might have been something
          else.

          I have seen fiber repeater sites that look like your picture
          around here in the NE.. along with wells, sewer and water facilites
          and the like and radio facilities if there is a tower...

          The L cable buildings I have seen mostly looked older than
          your picture, with some architectural details characteristic of the
          50s and 60s that don't match your pix...

          --
          Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
          PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 1999
            Are there any indications of L carrier leading to or from the building?

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5, 1999
              Dave Emery wrote:

              > From: Dave Emery <die@...>
              >
              > On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 08:40:11PM -0500, Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP wrote:
              > > Attached is a picture of an abandoned building located north of
              > > Chattanooga, TN. This site has been abandoned for at least a few
              > > years... I know it wasn't used for water/sewer purposes in the past, so
              > > I'm thinking this may have been used on the L-1 route from Chattanooga
              > > to Knoxville (or for some other long distance or local telephone
              > > service).
              >
              > Looks like a fairly modern repeater facility for something.
              > The building does not look old enough to be a repeater for an early
              > L cable, but it is remotely possibly a repeater for a relatively
              > recent one (L4 or L5), These usually had marked cable runs going
              > to and from them, so if yours does not it might have been something
              > else.
              >
              > I have seen fiber repeater sites that look like your picture
              > around here in the NE.. along with wells, sewer and water facilites
              > and the like and radio facilities if there is a tower...
              >
              > The L cable buildings I have seen mostly looked older than
              > your picture, with some architectural details characteristic of the
              > 50s and 60s that don't match your pix...

              I think I'm going to agree with the guess that this was something owned
              by BellSouth or Ooltewah-Collegedale Telephone Company and was used as
              an inter-office trunk repeater site. My original message was kinda
              lacking, but here's the reasons I think it's telecomms-related:

              - There is a 500 to 600 foot mountain ridge about 2 to 3 miles east of
              this site with at least two water tanks, so it wouldn't be for water.
              - No sewer system has been installed in the area, so I'd rule that out
              as well.

              Anyway, getting back to the possibility that it was used by the local
              telcos, BellSouth is the primary carrier, except for a small pocket in
              SE Hamilton County (TN) outside of Chattanooga, where
              Ooltewah-Collegedale Telephone Company owned 3 exchanges (they've since
              been sold off to Century Telephone about 4 or 5 years ago, not exactly
              sure when). I remember about 10 years ago that the site was being
              maintained, so I'm guessing that this may have been for trunks between
              OCTC and BellSouth or that it may have been exclusively for BellSouth
              trunks between Chattanooga, TN and Cleveland, TN.

              Appreciate everyone's help.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 5, 1999
                Mark Foster wrote:

                > From: Mark Foster <mfoster@...>
                >
                > Are there any indications of L carrier leading to or from the building?
                >
                > At 08:40 PM 4/4/99 -0500, Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP wrote:
                > >Attached is a picture of an abandoned building located north of
                > >Chattanooga, TN. This site has been abandoned for at least a few
                > >years... I know it wasn't used for water/sewer purposes in the past, so
                > >I'm thinking this may have been used on the L-1 route from Chattanooga
                > >to Knoxville (or for some other long distance or local telephone
                > >service).

                Didn't see any cable markers or anything, but I know that AT&T cut down
                the cable markers along the portion of the route that I am familiar
                with, so that doesn't help much... just some local telco underground
                boxes and such, but they appear to be new work.