The Notch, Amherst Massachusetts

  • def_con_five
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
      Hi Everyone,

      I'm new here, and I wanted to share a little web page i'm working on
      which details "The Notch" (Westover AFB Communications Annex) in
      Amherst Massachusetts. I'm also interested in the facility near
      Flanders NJ, i believe it was called "Netcong" and served as a main
      L4 station. my cousin lived in the area and as kids we would walk
      through those woods not even knowing what that big red and white
      antenna and little building next to it were really all about. If
      anyone here has more info on the Roxbury station, or the Notch
      facility, please drop me a note at def_con_five@...

      here's my Notch site:

      http://nynex.s5.com/thenotch/main.html
    • ozob99 <ozob99@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 13, 2002
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "def_con_five"
        <def_con_five@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > I'm new here, and I wanted to share a little web page i'm working on
        > which details "The Notch" (Westover AFB Communications Annex) in
        > Amherst Massachusetts. I'm also interested in the facility near
        > Flanders NJ, i believe it was called "Netcong" and served as a main
        > L4 station. my cousin lived in the area and as kids we would walk
        > through those woods not even knowing what that big red and white
        > antenna and little building next to it were really all about. If
        > anyone here has more info on the Roxbury station, or the Notch
        > facility, please drop me a note at def_con_five@y...
        >
        > here's my Notch site:
        >
        > http://nynex.s5.com/thenotch/main.html

        Here is a page on the library now at the "Notch", and another on it's
        history that was'nt in the archives:

        http://www.smith.edu/news/2002/undergroundlibrary.html

        http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/westover.htm
      • def_con_five <def_con_five@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 16, 2002
          You're not gonna believe this! :-)

          The current site manager for the Amherst, MA bunker has emailed me,
          and shows great interest in all of this. I've been meaning to write
          them about a possible tour, and here they are emailing me first.
          I'm amazed at my luck, and cant wait to see what they've done with
          the place. I dont even know how they got wind about my research,
          but either way, I'm excited, and hope to update my site sometime in
          Janurary.

          Happy Holidays everyone!

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99 <ozob99@y...>"
          <ozob99@y...> wrote:
          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "def_con_five"
          > <def_con_five@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi Everyone,
          > >
          > > I'm new here, and I wanted to share a little web page i'm working
          on
          > > which details "The Notch" (Westover AFB Communications Annex) in
          > > Amherst Massachusetts. I'm also interested in the facility near
          > > Flanders NJ, i believe it was called "Netcong" and served as a
          main
          > > L4 station. my cousin lived in the area and as kids we would
          walk
          > > through those woods not even knowing what that big red and white
          > > antenna and little building next to it were really all about. If
          > > anyone here has more info on the Roxbury station, or the Notch
          > > facility, please drop me a note at def_con_five@y...
          > >
          > > here's my Notch site:
          > >
          > > http://nynex.s5.com/thenotch/main.html
          >

          > Here is a page on the library now at the "Notch", and another on
          it's
          > history that was'nt in the archives:
          >
          > http://www.smith.edu/news/2002/undergroundlibrary.html
          >
          > http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/westover.htm
        • Mike Barnard
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002

            >The current site manager for the Amherst, MA bunker has emailed me,
            >and shows great interest in all of this. I've been meaning to write
            >them about a possible tour, and here they are emailing me first.
            >I'm amazed at my luck, and cant wait to see what they've done with
            >the place. I dont even know how they got wind about my research,
            >but either way, I'm excited, and hope to update my site sometime in
            >Janurary.

            Ahh! AHH! (Those are cries of excitement, just so you know) If any
            sort of tour thing gets organized I'd LOVE to go along. I live about 20
            minutes from that site and have always wanted to check it out. The one
            time I drove up there during the daytime I was rather abruptly told to
            go away (and this was after the college was using it for book storage,
            not during its active military days).
          • def_con_five <def_con_five@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002
              You'd be amazed how many people have told me the same thing. "I went
              to see it during the day, and (fill in local/state/EPA/Amherst
              Security Police) told me to leave, and even took my name down. I
              showed my friend some pictures I took some weeks back, and was
              immediately told how big my brass ones must be. I dont see the big
              deal, other than respecting the privacy of the new owners. I can
              understand it might be a large liablity to their insurance company if
              some cold war buff fell and got a leg stuck in an old airshaft.

              besides.. I "must" got back! I lost my pager in the snow there
              (wink wink) :-) If I figure out how forms work in HTML, I'll set up
              a sign up sheet on my web site and we'll kick back and fourth what
              day of the week and if morning or afternoon works for everyone.
              Just to start though, I hope to go alone and make nice nice with the
              powers that be.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 19, 2002
                Thanks for creating that page! I'm adding a link to it from my Cold War
                Infrastructure site ( http://coldwardc.homestead.com/files/index.html ).
                Although my site currently focuses on Washington, DC-area facilities, I'm
                expanding it little by little to include interesting places around the
                country.

                Regarding the AT&T underground installations at Netcong and Roxbury, NJ,
                they're no longer in service as communications stations, and have been sold
                to a company called Vital Records, Inc. which has converted them into secure
                records-storage facilities. The company has a web site describing them at
                http://www.vitalrecords.com/off-site/facilitities.htm .

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 19, 2002
                  Thanks for that research; I'm adding those links to my Notch page.

                  If you or any other contibutors would like to be credited, just let me know.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 19, 2002
                    Another researcher located this AP story about the bunker and its new
                    mission:

                    http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/4763844.htm