Re: Dahlgren VA

  • pwood78
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hello,

      > That makes sense then. I'd add that I noticed a prefab aggregate
      > hut further down the route in VA on 301 near AP Hill; the AT&T arrow
      > markers on both north and southbound sides on 301 seem to be
      > decades old but the hut newer. It is a replica of the hut Albert
      > had pointed out in Waldorf; at that location older "arrows" exist
      > also. Likely both were put in about the time fiber was installed,
      > from my recollection. However, whereas the Waldorf hut was
      > abandoned (as one would expect if the line were diverted to Waldorf
      > AT&T upon turndown of MW), this hut appeared operational.

      Never seen one near Ft. A.P. Hill, is that the part of 301
      that goes through the fort? Hope not. I have seen three off 301/2 in
      the Caroline Co. along with a maintence facility. Also seen one in
      Henrico Co. near Richmond City limits.

      The most visible one is near the KOA Campground before Bowling
      Green town limits. Almost directly west of the hut (very visible!)
      concealed by some trees and accessed from a local road not 301, is a
      maintence facility. Piles of route markers (including a CONTEL marker
      for some reason) and unmarked mobile generators and hefty grey cinder
      block building. Big AT&T silver pad lock on fence among others.
      Maintence address is roughly 17355 Gravatt Rd., N. bound 301 hut ID is
      FFT10S.

      The other hut is further south from A.P. Hill/Bowling Green
      and located near the intersection of 301/Froglevel Rd. Hut ID FFT13S.
      Rough address 16300 Froglevel Rd. It is off the intersection but not
      near it if that makes sense (you'd have to look at the roads on a
      map). Very visible and very accessable. The third hut, ID FFT14S, is
      much closer to the Hanover Co. line and is very difficult to see from
      301/2. FFT17S is in Henrico Co. I could not tell if these huts where
      active as none seemed to have power meters, although some did have
      little green transformer boxes near by making humming sounds.

      Speaking of route location there is a similar hut near the
      access road to the Buckingham Troposcatter site. I presume its an
      extension of the Dillwyn microwave tower/pop with an ID of DFT1S.

      -
      Parris Wood
    • Rick C.
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
        From what I recall, it was on the part that goes through Ft. A.P. Hill,
        closer to the northern boundary I believe. It is off the road, in the
        trees, with a small access driveway. On both north and soutbound, there are
        plastic - about 8 feet tall - poles with a metal arrow on top pointing in
        the direction of the hut, on the southbound side.
        I had not noticed the other sites, but then again I wasn't actively
        searching. I know just the areas you are referring to, so next time I am
        down that way I'll need to take a look.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2004
          Hello,

          I was recently in this area looking for what thought would be the
          location of a Level 3 ILA (optical amplifier). I did not find it but
          I do have some observations that I figured would be worth adding to
          this discussion in the archives.

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Rick C." <rickchem@h...> wrote:
          > The discussion of a fiber spur on the Wash-Balt-Philly line to the
          > NSA/BWI jogged my mind on something I noticed at Dahlgren.
          > Though "older" maps show only MW links to the NSWC, Naval Space

          I never noticed this before but apon inspection of the Oak Grove
          microwave site there is a permanent mount for a microwave drum that
          could be aimed towards NWSC.

          > Command center located there, I recently noticed two newer (large
          > plastic as opposed to wooden pole) AT&T route markers just a few
          > feet from the side of US 301, which runs adjacent to the base
          > perimeter, just as one makes landfall from the Potomac river bridge

          Correct, but there are three plastic markers and a fourth
          facility/ROW arrow style marker in sad shape. The main cable makes
          landfall at the beach, runs to the parking lot of the "park" and then
          the spur veers off towards the base (like a very tiny L). There are
          no markers on the opposite side of Rt. 301 other than the much older,
          tall orange plastic facility/ROW marker (the metal arrow part now
          hangs loose and upside down).

          However the poster might have missed a key to the puzzle. There is a
          medium sized optical amplifier facility next to the parking lot.
          Interestingly one third of the structure is made from an existing
          repeater hut that has been incorporated into the expansion. The
          facility is also one of the few I have seen to have a fixed generator
          on site.

          > into Va. The "main" AT&T RoW lies a few hundred feet from the road
          > and is visible from that location, with its own markers - so either
          > a spur likely goes to the base or there is a few hundred foot spur
          > to the road. I did not observe any markers through the base fence,
          > however. Surprisingly, there is a large amount of fiber in that
          > specific area - at least three distinct entities, as judged by the
          > different markers - AT&T and two others. The other two possibly
          > terminate in

          This is correct. The original fiber/main run is marked using pressure
          treated wooden poles (big, thick monsters) with numerous markings and
          warnings. The stuff heading towards NWSC is a spur off of the main
          route, the main route does not bow into the base and back out. The
          spur markers are not marked.

          The other two are Level 3 Communications and CONTEL (GTE now Verizon).
          Only the AT&T cable spurs off. CONTEL ends at that point (I suspect
          since the other side of the Potomac River is all C&P/Bell) and Level
          3 powers on towards DC. I suspect AT&T continues to the Waldorf
          POP/GEP site.

          > the same area, near the waters edge - I saw no corresponding
          > markers on the Maryland side. I recall some time ago the posting

          At the beach a couple of feet in front of the amplifier facility
          mentioned earlier, is a large billboard with an AT&T death star logo
          warning boaters of a cable crossing. A similar sign is on the
          Maryland side. These signs are in much better condition and much more
          specifically marked than corresponding signs at the cable crossing
          between Perryville and Havre De Grace in Maryland.

          > that a few decades ago, the ratio of commercial/government lines to
          > private lines in that county were the highest in the nation. For
          > whatever reason that was, perhaps the need for many lines still
          > exist.

          This explains the massive size of the Dahlgren central office. It
          seems to be composed of a smaller cinderblock office that was greatly
          expanded in size in the 1960s (tasteful expansion).

          -
          Parris B. Wood
          http://www.telebeans.org/