Re: [coldwarcomms] Branch 1, VA

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2002
      Someone may have mentioned this before, but I just noticed in this AT&T
      Special Government Services tariff:

      http://serviceguide.att.com/ABS/ext/tariffs/general/t16/1655a.doc

      in Section 32.3.3, for an air/ground radio system, that Branch No. 1, VA is
      one of the locations and is equipped with two hardened antennas. I think
      the other locations listed are all Combat Ciders stations.

      Because of the hardened antennas, I'd assume that Branch 1 is a hardened
      site.

      Albert
    • Dave Emery
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2002
        On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 01:38:29AM -0400, Albert LaFrance wrote:
        > Someone may have mentioned this before, but I just noticed in this AT&T
        > Special Government Services tariff:
        >
        > http://serviceguide.att.com/ABS/ext/tariffs/general/t16/1655a.doc
        >
        > in Section 32.3.3, for an air/ground radio system, that Branch No. 1, VA is
        > one of the locations and is equipped with two hardened antennas. I think
        > the other locations listed are all Combat Ciders stations.
        >
        > Because of the hardened antennas, I'd assume that Branch 1 is a hardened
        > site.

        Thanks for the pointer to that document, Albert. It is indeed
        full of interesting information...

        And yes Air to Ground Radio System 3 is indeed the "mux" we all
        know and love. And Branch No 1 Va must be Mount Weather as it known to
        have a semi hardened GEP located there and be an alternate control point
        for the "mux". We have heard testing with the Mt Weather GEP from time
        to time..

        The 56 Kb Dataphone digital service described was the KY-3
        secure voice subsystem used to supply a single "wideband" secure voice
        channel. As far as I know, this capability was more or less abandoned
        around 1995 or so when they started running STU IIIs over the mux voice
        channels instead. No KY-3 signals have been reported in recent
        years...

        But the simply awesome thing is the prices AT&T charges for the
        whole thing. I shall have to print the document and work out a figure
        for the whole system, but it looks to be simply astronomical. Considering
        what is actually involved, one would love to have that contract
        as it must be about 90% profit...

        --
        Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
        PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2002
          --- In coldwarcomms@y..., Dave Emery <die@d...> wrote:
          > On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 01:38:29AM -0400, Albert LaFrance wrote:
          > > Someone may have mentioned this before, but I just noticed in this
          AT&T
          > > Special Government Services tariff:
          > >
          > > http://serviceguide.att.com/ABS/ext/tariffs/general/t16/1655a.doc
          > >
          > > in Section 32.3.3, for an air/ground radio system, that Branch No.
          1, VA is
          > > one of the locations and is equipped with two hardened antennas.
          I think
          > > the other locations listed are all Combat Ciders stations.
          > >
          > > Because of the hardened antennas, I'd assume that Branch 1 is a
          hardened
          > > site.
          >
          > Thanks for the pointer to that document, Albert. It is indeed
          > full of interesting information...
          >
          > And yes Air to Ground Radio System 3 is indeed the "mux" we all
          > know and love. And Branch No 1 Va must be Mount Weather as it known to
          > have a semi hardened GEP located there and be an alternate control point
          > for the "mux". We have heard testing with the Mt Weather GEP from time
          > to time..
          >
          > The 56 Kb Dataphone digital service described was the KY-3
          > secure voice subsystem used to supply a single "wideband" secure voice
          > channel. As far as I know, this capability was more or less abandoned
          > around 1995 or so when they started running STU IIIs over the mux voice
          > channels instead. No KY-3 signals have been reported in recent
          > years...
          >
          > But the simply awesome thing is the prices AT&T charges for the
          > whole thing. I shall have to print the document and work out a figure
          > for the whole system, but it looks to be simply astronomical.
          Considering
          > what is actually involved, one would love to have that contract
          > as it must be about 90% profit...

          I'm sure the profit margins were substantial even with tariff
          limitations, but don't forget that those costs included the "loaded"
          labor rates, 24/7, of dozens of techs,staff, & up to 3rd level pro
          rated "superintendence" in locations around the country maintaining
          the networks & circuits within.

          I've recently found a source who confirms my recollection of a circuit
          out of the DC area to Branch 1 as being on a local channel(LC) rather
          than an intertoll channel,which would preclude Mt. Weather, but this
          could have been dis-information, although i've not seen that kind of
          subterfuge before on circuit records; all the circuits to Mt. Weather
          i've seen from various locations showed an intertoll channel to Wash 4
          or Berryville 2 or STC for Kxxx.

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002

            > I've recently found a source who confirms my recollection of a
            circuit
            > out of the DC area to Branch 1 as being on a local channel(LC)
            rather
            > than an intertoll channel,which would preclude Mt. Weather, but this
            > could have been dis-information, although i've not seen that kind of
            > subterfuge before on circuit records; all the circuits to Mt.
            Weather
            > i've seen from various locations showed an intertoll channel to
            Wash 4
            > or Berryville 2 or STC for Kxxx.

            Further consultation has revealed that the "local channel" mentioned
            above went to a local DC area site that CONNECTED to Branch 1 via
            another circuit, a not uncommon tandem arrangement; so now i'm back
            to my original guess of the Purcellville area & this was confirmed by
            one who had a "need to know" but no details were given. So it may
            well be a site under Mt Weather control(a branch out of Mt Weather),
            and notwithstanding the actual location,i wonder if the circuits were
            fed directly from MT Weather on gov't or leased facilities, or out of
            a nearby LSO(local serving office)connecting with intertoll/intercity
            carriers, or both.

            Someone posted a terra server pic sometime back of a remote site
            there with a possible underground portal that might be it, but i cant
            find the post under Purcellville;anyone recall it?

            Now, is there a Branch 2?..apparantly not one by that name.

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
              Every so often I search for Branch 1 in various forms. Today "branch
              1"+virginia yielded an intriguing hit:

              <http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&um=1&ie=UTF-
              8&q=%22branch+1%22%2Bvirginia&fb=1&view=text&latlng=2941329215356221003>

              showing FEMA Branch 1 at corner of 1st St SE & Wirt St SW,Leesburg,VA,
              phone 669-7000.

              I'd bet this location is not a GEP, & not what we're looking for....but
              for a moment: eureka.