ICBM site in Va?

  • pwood78
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hello,

      Being very bored before class today I found this link:

      http://www.retroweb.com/lynchburg/attractions/

      I feel compelled to warn others that most of the blurbs on the
      page are not coldwar related and most of the pictures that acompany
      the blurbs look very faked. I guess your typical UFO type site. That
      being said there were a blurb that did catch my attention.

      The blurb in question is the Tobacco Row ICBM silo. While the
      silo picture looks suspect the picture of the signs does not. I have
      not seen the red ``no pictures'' sign but I have seen the other ones
      on the Fort A.P. Hill fence along Route 2 between Bowling Green and
      Fredericksburg. I'm sure they are familar to other list members. The
      only military/coldwar I site I know of is the former Air Force radar
      site (Blue Texas was the name I think) on Apple Orchard Mountain in
      Bedford County. That installation has since been torn and a plot of
      land retained for use by the FAA for the Bedford ARSR. The closest
      place of interest to the silo would be the Tobacco Row Mountain
      antenna farm with a massive partialy active AT&T microwave
      installation at its peak.

      I apologize if the ICBM thing is a known or obvious fake. The
      picture of the signs could be from anyway so I take with a grain of
      salt but figured it was worth seeing if others knew about it. Thanks.

      -
      Parris Wood