Hamilton, MA Satellite Site?

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 1999
      Are you aware of the Cold War mission of the antenna site in Hamilton Mass
      (Sagamore Hill). During the 60's, 70's and 80's the site had several very
      large "deep space" dishes and a high level of security. An Air Force
      "weather" station (actually a site that measures solar activity on the sun)
      was and still is, located outside the main gate, but was (purposely I
      believe) never inside the satellite site. While in High School I remember
      a brush fire near the facility, and the Air Force security people would not
      let the local fire department inside the gates (preferring to let the place
      burn, I suppose). Eventually firefighters from Hanscom AFB arrived to
      defend the property from fire. Today the main site is abandoned with a few
      building still remaining. The AF weather station still exists and is well
      kept up but outside the original base fence line.
    • Mark Foster
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 29, 1999
        At 07:28 AM 3/29/99 -0800, you wrote:
        >Mark-
        >
        >No, I have not seen the Hamilton facility, but I have driven by the USAF
        >radar site in Ipswich a number of years ago. I believe that the Air Force
        >had another installation in Ipswich, the Ipswich Data Collection Lab Annex
        >(according to the DERP database), at the end of Town Farm Road. There was
        >an antenna and receiver building.

        I am familiar with that site, it is now the recycling center for the Town
        of Ipswich.

        Tha antenna as a remember it was a large rotatable log periodic HF antenna.