civil defense photos

  • coteheleus2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2002
      I've just found a load of fascinating cold-war Civil-Defense photos
      on my all-time favourite website. They show just what sort of
      fragile kit and personnel the UK had in the 1950s and 60s.... a
      volunteer staff of old men and women with pre-war vehicles for
      instance, and boiling up food in oil drums.
      Two things in particular are evident: just how poor the Brits were
      and how little resources they had to survive a nuclear war, and how
      un-seriously they seem to have taken the risk.

      The pictures are mainly in Bath... which is now a World Heritage
      City. They were taken nearly twenty years after World War Two but
      the city is still strewn with bomb sites and rubble from that war
      because there wasn't the funding for reconstruction. The Civil
      Defense Corps seems to have used the WW2 bomb sites for training.

      The website is: http://mysite.freeserve.com/nuclear_bunkers but
      confusingly there isn't a direct link to the Civil Defense
      pictures, these start on
      http://mysite.freeserve.com/nuclear_bunkers/civil1.html