Re: [coldwarcomms] Colorado Springs Cable Route

  • brentdavenport
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
      Steve:
      I saw your note to Albert on the coldwarcomms Colorado Springs cable route.

      I live in Parker, and frequently drive the old south 83 highway to Colorado
      Springs.

      Along the old route to the Springs, there seems to be quite a few microwave
      towers, huts, etc that look like they could [or still are] used for
      communication with/to Cheyenne Mtn. In fact, there is a microwave tower
      pointing toward the Springs with what appears to be a sensor on the gate
      leading up to the tower. [Entry sensor, not blast detector]. I NEVER
      trespass and did not get to get very close to the tower, but it doesn't
      appear to be hardened.

      Also, many years ago, there were missile silos in Elbert County, Colorado
      [Titan, I believe]--including the remnants of one you can visit today where
      the Elbert County dump/landfill is located just south of Elizabeth,
      Colorado.

      There is a local loop for tel service coming out of Franktown connecting
      with Colorado Springs I beleive, with a hut right at the junction of 83 & 86
      in Colorado.

      Out east of Denver and Colorado Springs there are many, many microwave
      towers--most with horns taken off--but a couple that appear to be pretty
      new--in the last 5 years anyway--and of the modern style--monopoint with guy
      wires. Some are co-located with FAA radar sites [like the one at
      Eastonville], so they may have been placed there for use with the relatively
      new airport in Denver [DIA] and not necessarily anything to do with NORAD,
      etc.

      I don't have any pictures readily available, but I'm looking at creating a
      web site with a coldwar microwave page for Colorado in the near future.

      Thanks, Brent