More AT&T Monrovia info

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2002
      More interesting facts about Monrovia:

      The facility's original emergency power source was five Diesel
      engine-alternator sets, two on one level of the old building and three on
      the other. The station never had turbines; it was built before turbines
      came into use in the Bell System. Today, the emergency power plant is two
      Detroit Diesel sets with remote radiators mounted outdoors.

      At one time, Monrovia was home to about 125 technicans, ten supervisors, and
      two second-level managers. Now, the normal staffing is two technicians,
      with coverage for only one shift.

      The entrance stairway and the freight hoist well are separate shafts. This
      is in contrast to newer hardened facilities like Clarksville, NY, where the
      stairs and the hoist well share the same shaft. The hoist is a 5-ton unit,
      on a track with a 90-degree curve to allow a load to be picked up from the
      his colleagues used to spend many hours moving material in the manner, and
      that the big new freight elevator has been a tremendous time-saver. The
      freight elevator is a separate shaft, located on the west side of the old
      (east) underground building.

      On the large lawn at the east side of the property, there used to be a
      landing zone with a wind sock for cable-patrol helicopters.

      The technician noted that the mezzanine level of the new building was
      designated as a telephone company emergency relocation site, but Monrovia
      never housed a government ERS.

      In place of the traditional colored alarm lights, overhead message-display
      boards are mounted at various locations throughout the new building, with
      scrolling text messages indicating troubles in the 4ESS and fiber-optic
      equipment. But in the ESS control room, there's a modern version of the
      colored-light alarm indicator array, in a wall-mounted box. The equipment
      is monitored from the Rockdale, GA facility maintenance center, which
      creates repair tickets for items needing work by Monrovia's staff.

      There is no longer any link from Monrovia to the FEMA Federal Support
      Center. The cable, which was copper pairs rather than coax, is out of
      service but AT&T still owns the right of way.

      The coax route from Dranesville, VA to Faulkner, MD originally terminated at
      Monrovia. When Dranesville was built (placed in service in 1969, I think),
      the cable was re-terminated there.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2002
        --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Albert LaFrance" <albertjlafrance@c...>
        wrote:
> [...]
        optic
        > equipment. But in the ESS control room, there's a modern version
        of the
        > colored-light alarm indicator array, in a wall-mounted box. The
        equipment
        > is monitored from the Rockdale, GA facility maintenance center,
        which
        > creates repair tickets for items needing work by Monrovia's staff.
        >
        > There is no longer any link from Monrovia to the FEMA Federal
        Support
        > Center. The cable, which was copper pairs rather than coax, is out
        of
        > service but AT&T still owns the right of way.
        >
        > The coax route from Dranesville, VA to Faulkner, MD originally
        terminated at
        > Monrovia. When Dranesville was built (placed in service in 1969, I

        The C1 alarm center there included the Northern VA stations
        originally controlled by the C1 alarm at Berryville 2/Wash 4.