Re: [coldwarcomms] Hardened microwave dish, AT&T Monrovia, MD

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2002
      Looking over the site plan for the underground station at Finland, PA
      (Finland No. 2), I saw something possibly relevant to the issue you brought
      up.

      The plan shows what appear to be underground conduits for each of the
      two coaxial cables entering the building, plus another conduit (which
      could be for power or communications) between the underground building and
      the adjacent above-ground microwave station.

      I've posted a portion of the plan at:

      http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Finland/plot_plan.html

      The red line coming out of the conduit from the NW (upper left) corner of
      the building is labeled: Finland "2" - Laurelton "A" Cable. The red line
      from NE conduit is labeled: Cherryville - Finland #2 "A" Cable.

      The coax conduits are roughly 80 and 120 feet in length, and their distant
      ends terminate at rectangular structures labeled "cable headwalls".

      It's interesting that the conduits are curved, with their radii noted. I
      wonder if this was merely to ensure that the conduits enter the building
      walls perpendicular to the wall, or if the curves were intended to give the
      conduits some "springiness".

      The conduits themselves could been provided merely to avoid the necessity
      for cable-installation crews to dig trenches in the immediate vicinity of
      the underground building, with the attendant risk of damaging pavement,
      landscaping, or the building wall. Or they could have been part of the
      blast-protection design (or both).