Monrovia/Frederick

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2002
      More interestings facts which I learned on Friday, relating to a discussion
      we had some time ago about the original SCAN switch location in Maryland:

      The coaxial-cable terminal station at Monrovia was originally intended to be
      built in Frederick, MD. Downtown Frederick is about 8 mi. northwest of
      Monrovia. Before changing the planned location of the terminal station,
      AT&T acquired land in West Virginia for the first power-feed station on the
      L3 coaxial cable which would run west from the terminal. The L3 system
      required a power-feed station to be located a fixed distance (based on the
      number of intervening repeaters) from the terminal station. When the
      terminal location was changed to Monrovia, AT&T had to acquire another plot
      of land, about 6 mi. further east near Mount Storm, WV, where the power-feed
      station was finally constructed. But the company still owns the land
      further west, where the power-feed station would have been if the terminal
      had been built in Frederick.