An interesting find today...

  • packy41
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2002
      Out and about south of Albany chasing trains, I came over a bridge
      and noticed a the outline of AT&T horns on a tower.

      Got a little closer and sure enough, it was on top of a desent sized
      hill. After making my way up, I found a fairly large main station!

      Two towers, and a rather large building! Last place that I would
      expect to find one....Kingston NY.

      Parked the truck, started to walk around and saw the American Tower
      logo on a door, but more interesting, on right side of the building,
      I saw "AT&T" next to a glass entrance door, and a car parked in the
      parking lot. Lights were on, so... I knocked, and someone actually
      came to the door!

      I met the district manager for the area (nice guy) and he informed me
      that this location use to be a 7 route main station. I believe he
      stated that AT&T still ownes a 1/4 of the building where he and a
      tech work out of. I didn't ask too many questions, but I could see
      behind him that it looks like all the radio's have been removed, but
      I was only able to see an extremely small fraction thru a door window.

      At this location there was a 7 bay garage, three large chillers or
      exhaust vents and a second floor hoist. The pictures really don't
      show how large the building is. Largest I have seen yet. By the looks
      of it, it seemed that it was manned 24/7. I did not notice any cable
      markers in the area.

      By my count (via pictures I took) there are 10-11 horns still on the
      tower, and two that were taken down in the rear lot (they really are
      bigger on the ground then up there!) and lots of smaller MW dishes
      and antenna's mounted.

      I was just able to look up the site, and its American Tower Site
      88128. Funny thing is, there is still an age old mailbox with the
      words "AMER-TEL-TEL" on it, and sitting on the mail box was two
      Verizon phone directories.. :) Pictures are being uploaded to the
      PHOTO's section under Kingston NY. I will have larger pics available
      (2560x1712) if anyone wants them.

      Anyone know more about this place?
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 17, 2002
        --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "packy41" <packy41@y...> wrote:
        > Out and about south of Albany chasing trains, I came over a bridge
        > and noticed a the outline of AT&T horns on a tower.
        >
        > Got a little closer and sure enough, it was on top of a desent sized
        > hill. After making my way up, I found a fairly large main station!
        >
        > Two towers, and a rather large building! Last place that I would
        > expect to find one....Kingston NY.
        >
        > Parked the truck, started to walk around and saw the American Tower
        > logo on a door, but more interesting, on right side of the building,
        > I saw "AT&T" next to a glass entrance door, and a car parked in the
        > parking lot. Lights were on, so... I knocked, and someone actually
        > came to the door!
        >
        > I met the district manager for the area (nice guy) and he informed
        me
        > that this location use to be a 7 route main station. I believe he
        > stated that AT&T still ownes a 1/4 of the building where he and a
        > tech work out of. I didn't ask too many questions, but I could see
        > behind him that it looks like all the radio's have been removed, but
        > I was only able to see an extremely small fraction thru a door
        window.

        > At this location there was a 7 bay garage, three large chillers or
        > exhaust vents and a second floor hoist. The pictures really don't
        > show how large the building is. Largest I have seen yet. By the
        looks
        > of it, it seemed that it was manned 24/7. I did not notice any cable
        > markers in the area.
        >
        > By my count (via pictures I took) there are 10-11 horns still on the
        > tower, and two that were taken down in the rear lot (they really are
        > bigger on the ground then up there!) and lots of smaller MW dishes
        > and antenna's mounted.
        >
        > I was just able to look up the site, and its American Tower Site
        > 88128. Funny thing is, there is still an age old mailbox with the
        > words "AMER-TEL-TEL" on it, and sitting on the mail box was two
        > Verizon phone directories.. :) Pictures are being uploaded to the
        > PHOTO's section under Kingston NY. I will have larger pics available
        > (2560x1712) if anyone wants them.
        >
        > Anyone know more about this place?

        Sounds like Rosendale, a former #5 Autovon switch.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 17, 2002
          I'm pretty sure the station you saw is the one AT&T called Halihan Hill. I
          visited there in March of last year, and what I saw matches your photos and
          those on the American Tower web page. An AT&T employee was based there at
          the time, but no AT&T equipment remained except for a few L-carrier repeater
          cases mounted on the wall and a small (looked like 4-tube) coaxial cable not
          connected to anything. As I recall, the AT&T man said the coax had not been
          part of a main L-carrier route, but was just a local link to a nearby town.

          There's an FM broadcast transmitter in the building, with the antenna on one
          of the AT&T towers.

          According to a 1970 map, Halihan Hill had microwave routes to Rosendale,
          Surprise, Kinderhook, Hillsdale, Ellenville, Walden, and Poughkeepsie. A
          1966 map also shows the station, but with fewer routes.

          > Out and about south of Albany chasing trains, I came over a bridge
          > and noticed a the outline of AT&T horns on a tower.
          >
          > Got a little closer and sure enough, it was on top of a desent sized
          > hill. After making my way up, I found a fairly large main station!
          >
          > Two towers, and a rather large building! Last place that I would
          > expect to find one....Kingston NY.
          >
          > Parked the truck, started to walk around and saw the American Tower
          > logo on a door, but more interesting, on right side of the building,
          > I saw "AT&T" next to a glass entrance door, and a car parked in the
          > parking lot. Lights were on, so... I knocked, and someone actually
          > came to the door!
          >
          > I met the district manager for the area (nice guy) and he informed me
          > that this location use to be a 7 route main station. I believe he
          > stated that AT&T still ownes a 1/4 of the building where he and a
          > tech work out of. I didn't ask too many questions, but I could see
          > behind him that it looks like all the radio's have been removed, but
          > I was only able to see an extremely small fraction thru a door window.
          >
          > At this location there was a 7 bay garage, three large chillers or
          > exhaust vents and a second floor hoist. The pictures really don't
          > show how large the building is. Largest I have seen yet. By the looks
          > of it, it seemed that it was manned 24/7. I did not notice any cable
          > markers in the area.
          >
          > By my count (via pictures I took) there are 10-11 horns still on the
          > tower, and two that were taken down in the rear lot (they really are
          > bigger on the ground then up there!) and lots of smaller MW dishes
          > and antenna's mounted.
          >
          > I was just able to look up the site, and its American Tower Site
          > 88128. Funny thing is, there is still an age old mailbox with the
          > words "AMER-TEL-TEL" on it, and sitting on the mail box was two
          > Verizon phone directories.. :) Pictures are being uploaded to the
          > PHOTO's section under Kingston NY. I will have larger pics available
          > (2560x1712) if anyone wants them.
          Anyone know more about this place?

        • Mark Foster
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 17, 2002
            I thought Rosendale predated LCXR. I believe the #5 was turned down when
            Chesterfield came on line. Former AT&T tech at Westover AFB (The Notch, also
            known as Amherst #2 in AT&T language) told me data lines were terrible from
            Rosendale? until Chesterfield came on line.

            The 7 route main station near there would have been Airmont?

            If the site was Rosendale I would like to get more info on it.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 17, 2002
              --- In coldwarcomms@y..., Mark Foster <mfoster@c...> wrote:
              > I thought Rosendale predated LCXR. I believe the #5 was turned
              down when
              > Chesterfield came on line. Former AT&T tech at Westover AFB (The
              Notch, also
              > known as Amherst #2 in AT&T language) told me data lines were
              terrible from
              > Rosendale? until Chesterfield came on line.
              >
              > The 7 route main station near there would have been Airmont?
              >
              > If the site was Rosendale I would like to get more info on it.

              I could'nt get the pic so i was guessing Rosendale cuz of
              Kingston.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/