Unkwn Site 60 E of Salt Lake

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19, 1999
      While on a trip to CA last week our plane flew over a very unusual
      military? site 60 Miles due East of Salt Lake City, UT. The site looked
      like a grid several miles square with approximately 35 smaller sites all
      connected together by roads. In general the pattern of the sites and roads
      was rectangular and roads were in a due east and due west direction. There
      were also several medium size service facilities with about 20 buildings
      scattered among the facility. At first I though it was some sort of Minute
      Man missile launch site. I had the attendant ask the pilot where we were
      and what we were flying over and he said we were 60 miles dues east of Salt
      Lake and we were flying over a top secret Air Force base, who's name he forgot.

      I checked my maps and it looks like the are is just south of the Wyoming
      border at the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains.

      Anyone know what I was looking at?
    • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19, 1999
        Very Interesintg.... Do you recall seeing any airfields Mark? About 100
        miles to the SOUTH east of Salt Lake is a Indian reservation with atleast 5
        airfields in a small area, all in a row (interesting it is named HILL CR EXT
        Ulintah and Ouray Indian Reservation. I dont know what HILL CR EXT is but
        their is a Hill AFB in Utah. Coordinates are N39� 29.02' W109� 52.50'.)

        60 miles east of Salt Lake, seems to yield another indian reservation.
        Theirs also the Hill AFB Rec Area in that vicinity - maybe thats the top
        secret installation? The indian reservation and the Rec area have a wildlife
        area wedged in between them that seems to have a lot of roads and rivers
        (looks like good fishing and camping).

        George
      • Mark Foster
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 1999
          I do not remember seeing any airfields. I was flying east to west and saw
          it out the left (south) side of the plane. The plane continued on westerly
          and in about 60 miles flew directly over Salt Lake City. The only other
          feature I remember is just west of the complex was a 1/2 mile X 1/2 mile
          area of mounds that looked like ammunition bunkers. The complex was on a
          flat piece of land and just south of it was a small mountain range.

        • Hooligan@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 20, 1999
            Sounds like Tooele Army Depot ( http://www.tooele.army.mil/ ), but it is W of
            SLC, not E.

            Tim
          • Mark Foster
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 20, 1999
              My first thought it was Tooele, but like you say they are East of Salt
              Lake. FYI: I have visited Tooele (from the outside) and have photos somewhere.