AT&T NYC-DC L1 coax route, trip report

  • Rick C.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2002
      I drove down Rt. 40 earlier today, and made some stops to check out the
      former L1 route. I found only one ancient wooden (Prob L1) route marker
      alongside the road, near perryville. Some additional route markers appeared
      in Havre de Grace; small plastic ones protruding about a foot with "AT&T"
      fading on them. Along the whole route there was evidence of a "Bell System"
      cable - more markers, though similarly faded, consisting of a metal post,
      similar to that used for street signs, waist high with a reflective 2x4
      panel with the Bell symbol on it. Random other types of markers in lesser
      quantities were also noted, in varying disrepair. Alongside the
      Susquehanna, there was a no anchor, cable crossing sign on the shore down
      below the bridge.
      In Aberdeen, I noted a larger plastic route marker alongside the road,
      with an arrow point away from the southboundside, with what appeared to be
      the code for a repeater (I can dig up my notes for the lettering if anybody
      knows how to decipher). Quite new adhesive numbers were on the post. I
      followed the adjacent, appearingly well used access road until crossing the
      RR and coming upon a gate. I found similar points closer to elkton, though
      it pointed down a public road; no AT&T presence was found there either. In
      both cases, across the road, on the Northbound side, the east coast mainline
      railroad was present, with the AT&T route clearly marked in the RoW.
      It seems to me, looking at the maps and the evidence, that there were at
      least three distinct routes between Baltimore and Wilmington. The first,
      and seemingly unused, ran along the southbound shoulder of the road. This
      would likely be the old L1 route. The next follows the RR ROW, which mostly
      lies just off the northbound side of the road. The third is one I haven't
      pinned down precisely, but seems clear that it is on the southbound side
      somewhere. It is possible it ran close to I-95, with access to the route
      from 40. I'll do some further investigation in the future . . . comments
      welcome!

      Rick