Implications of MCI/Worldcom demise?

  • Rick C.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2 12:25 PM
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10894-2002Jul1.html

      It seems that MCI might be barred from federal contracts and lose all of its
      current ones. Anybody on the list know what type of communications
      contracts they have with the goverment or want to comment? I thought they
      had a significant portion of the FTS, and DSN.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2 1:07 PM
        --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Rick C." <rickchem@h...> wrote:

        > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10894-2002Jul1.html
        >
        > It seems that MCI might be barred from federal contracts and lose
        all of its
        > current ones. Anybody on the list know what type of communications
        > contracts they have with the goverment or want to comment? I
        thought they
        > had a significant portion of the FTS, and DSN.

        They did at one time on FTS, not sure now..also had some big 800
        service contracts, like SSA.

        http://mobile.msn.com
      • eachtner
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3 8:43 AM
          --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Rick C." <rickchem@h...> wrote:

          > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10894-2002Jul1.html
          >
          > It seems that MCI might be barred from federal contracts and lose
          all of its
          > current ones. Anybody on the list know what type of communications
          > contracts they have with the goverment or want to comment? I
          thought they
          > had a significant portion of the FTS, and DSN.

          http://mobile.msn.com

          MCI/Worldcom through various subsidiares (IDB Worldcom, etc.) carries
          a substantial amount of US Government international traffic through
          its undersea cable systems. The only other provider with similar
          global reach is AT&T. However, both of their networks don't always
          go to the same places (landing points) so there must be some
          criticality associated with the MCI Worldcom network in terms of
          geography.
        • blitz
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3 10:14 AM
            Might be wishful feeling for those whos' stocks are now worth 9c a share,
            but Worldcom WILL survive.
            They have a huge installed base, they own UUnet, the real FAT pipes of the
            Internet, mostly at OC48 speeds and above.
            The Feds have a lot of contracts with them for not only FTS (which every
            major carrier has a piece of at one time or another) NASA has a lot of
            bandwidth with them, plus the power grid, air traffic control etc. etc. etc.

            No, they're economically viable and will continue to be....they will
            survive...they will not be allowed to fail, for national security reasons
            alone...they will survive.

            Bernie Sanders was evil and is gone now, John Sidgemore will steer the
            company back into safe waters...Bernie and his board ran the company into
            the ground so they could loot and steal as much as possible. (He's
            currently building a 25 million dollar home in Florida, so he was quite
            successful in looting the treasury for his own gain. Add that to his 64,000
            acre ranch and his Yacht as plunder).

            If there ever is ANY enforcement actions, I would relish seeing Sanders
            taken away in chains...but don't hold your breath...he owes $400 million to
            the company, and he cant pay it if hes in jail.

            At 15:43 7/3/02 +0000, you wrote:
            >--- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Rick C." <rickchem@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10894-2002Jul1.html
            > >
            > > It seems that MCI might be barred from federal contracts and lose
            >all of its
            > > current ones. Anybody on the list know what type of communications
            > > contracts they have with the goverment or want to comment? I
            >thought they
            > > had a significant portion of the FTS, and DSN.

            > > Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device:
            >http://mobile.msn.com
            >
            >MCI/Worldcom through various subsidiares (IDB Worldcom, etc.) carries
            >a substantial amount of US Government international traffic through
            >its undersea cable systems. The only other provider with similar
            >global reach is AT&T. However, both of their networks don't always
            >go to the same places (landing points) so there must be some
            >criticality associated with the MCI Worldcom network in terms of
            >geography.

          • Mike Jacobs
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3 11:56 AM

              > Bernie Sanders was evil and is gone now,

              I think you mean Bernie Ebbers. Bernie Sanders is an independent
              Congressman from Vermont and is a pretty upright fellow in my book.

              Mike Jacobs, N3MJ
              Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
              Penn State University
              State College, PA