Florida sites

  • laz_252
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
      Hi! Is anybody aware of Florida cold war sites? Perhaps some
      relics from the Cuban Missile Crisis. Laz
    • dcat4955@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
        we have a group of hams/offroaders/history buffs here in miami. we offroad often. there a few neat sites around town but nothing that compares to the stuff elsewhere in the country.

        att microwave hop off card sound
        old missile site/mini base off card sound
        aero jet testing facility
        old MIA vor site (we had field day there a week or so ago)
        military facility near krome detention camp
        remains of missile site near chikeeca state part
        "underground" bunkers at opalocka airport
        numerous airstrips in the glades that show up in delorme but are blocked out in terraserver

        if you're in south fl please drop me a line off the list. we could use another explorer.

        robert

        > From: "laz_252" <laz_252@...>
        > Date: 2002/07/02 Tue AM 03:39:07 EDT
        > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Florida sites

      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
          Unnamed Administration sources reported that dcat4955@... said:

          > we have a group of hams/offroaders/history buffs here in miami. we offroad often. there a few neat sites around town but nothing that compares to the stuff elsewhere in the country.
          >
          > att microwave hop off card sound
          > old missile site/mini base off card sound
          > aero jet testing facility
          > old MIA vor site (we had field day there a week or so ago)
          > military facility near krome detention camp
          > remains of missile site near chikeeca state part
          > "underground" bunkers at opalocka airport
          > numerous airstrips in the glades that show up in delorme but are blocked out in terraserver

          "Zenith Technical Enterprises" -- the Agency cover for Operation
          Mongoose, was in the old Richland NAS buildings W of Zoo.

          Nothing of it left to see there, however. Marine Reserve anti-tank
          unit was in bldg 'til Andrew...

        • eachtner
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
            --- In coldwarcomms@y..., <dcat4955@b...> wrote:
            > we have a group of hams/offroaders/history buffs here in miami. we
            offroad often. there a few neat sites around town but nothing that
            compares to the stuff elsewhere in the country.

            > att microwave hop off card sound
            > old missile site/mini base off card sound
            > aero jet testing facility
            > old MIA vor site (we had field day there a week or so ago)
            > military facility near krome detention camp
            > remains of missile site near chikeeca state part
            > "underground" bunkers at opalocka airport
            > numerous airstrips in the glades that show up in delorme but are
            blocked out in terraserver

            > if you're in south fl please drop me a line off the list. we could
            use another explorer.

            > robert

            Robert -

            Can you elaborate a little on the facilities located on Card Sound
            Rd.? I have driven up and down that stretch numerous times trying to
            pick out various facilities. I have seen the two that you have
            mentioned:

            1) AT&T Facility on the mainland side of the bridge. I'm guessing
            those large arrays are troposcatter? Heading towards the Bahamas?
            Or are they something else pointed toward Havanna? Curious. I'm
            guessing there is also some other stuff deeper in the mangroves there.
            2) The second facility (I think we're talking about the same one) is
            on the Key Largo side of CSR, a few miles south of the turn off for
            the Ocean Reef Club. Looks to be the remnants of some old Air Force
            radomes or something. I've seen similar abandoned facilities in
            upstate New York too.
          • dcat4955@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
              just north of where us1 and cardsound split in keylargo is a small installation that can be seen from the road.

              the tropo site was aimed at cuba. it survived andrew and is still there.

              robert

              > From: "eachtner" <eachtner@...>
              > Date: 2002/07/03 Wed AM 11:47:21 EDT
              > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Florida sites

            • ewilson1234
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
                I am no expert on the subject, but I have done a lot of research on
                that area. "Building 25" is still standing. That was the main
                operations center for JM/WAVE (Mongoose). In fact, there is a
                restoration project going on. You can read about it at the link below
                (providing Yahoo doesnt chop it up!). Please pay them a visit. That
                area is a priceless piece of "Intrigue" history!

                http://www.town.surfside.fl.us/special3.html

                -Eric

                --- In coldwarcomms@y..., David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:
                > Unnamed Administration sources reported that dcat4955@b... said:
                > >
                > > we have a group of hams/offroaders/history buffs here in miami.
                we offroad often. there a few neat sites around town but nothing that
                compares to the stuff elsewhere in the country.

                > > att microwave hop off card sound
                > > old missile site/mini base off card sound
                > > aero jet testing facility
                > > old MIA vor site (we had field day there a week or so ago)
                > > military facility near krome detention camp
                > > remains of missile site near chikeeca state part
                > > "underground" bunkers at opalocka airport
                > > numerous airstrips in the glades that show up in delorme but are
                blocked out in terraserver

                > "Zenith Technical Enterprises" -- the Agency cover for Operation
                > Mongoose, was in the old Richland NAS buildings W of Zoo.
                >
                > Nothing of it left to see there, however. Marine Reserve anti-tank
                > unit was in bldg 'til Andrew...
                >

                > --
                > A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@n...
                > & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
                > Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
                > is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433
              • ewilson1234
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
                  Sorry, I dont have the url, but American Towers (?) website had some
                  excellent pictures of the AT&T tropo site. Both from the ground and
                  from the towers. Not sure if this is true our not, but one time I
                  heard that in addition to the billboards going to Cuba, it was also
                  the termination of some undersea cables from Cuba...

                  -Eric

                  --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "eachtner" <eachtner@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In coldwarcomms@y..., <dcat4955@b...> wrote:
                  > > we have a group of hams/offroaders/history buffs here in miami.
                  we
                  > offroad often. there a few neat sites around town but nothing that
                  > compares to the stuff elsewhere in the country.
                  > >
                  > > att microwave hop off card sound
                  > > old missile site/mini base off card sound
                  > > aero jet testing facility
                  > > old MIA vor site (we had field day there a week or so ago)
                  > > military facility near krome detention camp
                  > > remains of missile site near chikeeca state part
                  > > "underground" bunkers at opalocka airport
                  > > numerous airstrips in the glades that show up in delorme but are
                  > blocked out in terraserver
                  > >
                  > > if you're in south fl please drop me a line off the list. we
                  could
                  > use another explorer.
                  > >
                  > > robert
                  >
                  > Robert -
                  >
                  > Can you elaborate a little on the facilities located on Card Sound
                  > Rd.? I have driven up and down that stretch numerous times trying
                  > pick out various facilities. I have seen the two that you have
                  > mentioned:
                  >
                  > 1) AT&T Facility on the mainland side of the bridge. I'm guessing
                  > those large arrays are troposcatter? Heading towards the Bahamas?
                  > Or are they something else pointed toward Havanna? Curious. I'm
                  > guessing there is also some other stuff deeper in the mangroves
                  there.
                  > 2) The second facility (I think we're talking about the same one)
                  is
                  > on the Key Largo side of CSR, a few miles south of the turn off for
                  > the Ocean Reef Club. Looks to be the remnants of some old Air
                  Force
                  > radomes or something. I've seen similar abandoned facilities in
                  > upstate New York too.
                • David Lesher
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
                    Unnamed Administration sources reported that ewilson1234 said:

                    > I am no expert on the subject, but I have done a lot of research on
                    > that area. "Building 25" is still standing. That was the main
                    > operations center for JM/WAVE (Mongoose). In fact, there is a
                    > restoration project going on. You can read about it at the link below
                    > (providing Yahoo doesnt chop it up!). Please pay them a visit. That
                    > area is a priceless piece of "Intrigue" history!
                    >
                    > http://www.town.surfside.fl.us/special3.html

                    Surfside???

                    It's MILES away from the NAS!!

                    Yes, Bldg 25 was being used by the Marines, maybe the Reserve,
                    when I was there [pre-Andrew]..

                    Post-Andrew, it was trashed...

                    There were lots of other folks right nearby; US Army Comm,
                    Univ. of Miami, and a squirrel-monkey breeding operation,
                    to name a few...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
                      Laz,

                      I just remembered one you might be interested in: JFK's bomb shelter on
                      Peanut Island near Palm Beach -

                      http://www.metropolismag.com/html/content_0401/ob/ob7.html

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 4, 2002
                        --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "laz_252" <laz_252@y...> wrote:
                        > Hi! Is anybody aware of Florida cold war sites? Perhaps some
                        > relics from the Cuban Missile Crisis. Laz

                        Was'nt there a Sparrow missle site(mabe the only one?) down there?..

                        I recall a Sage radar detachment on NAS Jacksonville, and a GATR site
                        on US 17 south of Orange Park(Fleming Island?);any Sage sites left in
                        South Fl?
                      • scott123murdock
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 5, 2002
                          The Homestead-Miami and Key West Defense Areas had Hawk missiles (not
                          Sparrow which is air-to-air) and may well have been the only ones
                          emplaced in the CONUS. Homestead-Miami also had Nike missiles.

                          http://www.missilesofkeywest.bravepages.com/KWdefenses.htm
                          http://ed-thelen.org/loc-f.html#Florida

                          For USAF long range radars, see:

                          http://www.radomes.org/museum/
                        • Al Grobmeier
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 5, 2002
                            The former HFDF operations building of the Naval Security Group Activity, Homestead, is at 40800
                            Card Sound Road. The Circular Disposed Antenna Array of the AN/FRD-10 has been removed after being partly demolished by Andrew. The site was sold to Motorola, but now appears abandoned.
                            See http://www.anzwers.org/free/navyscpo2/homestead_adam_1.html for recent photos

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 26, 2014
                              Zenith Technical Enterprises is mentioned in The Invisible Government by Wise & Ross; now available as a download at:

                              http://ebookbrowsee.net/hour-of-the-time-11012013-the-invisible-government-david-wise-pdf-d491317542

                              Although dated, an interesting read; or just search for key words like telephone,covert,classified,zenith,etc
                            • unrecognizedresponse
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 27, 2014
                                Hardened LCXR station near Turnpike Turkey Lake Plaza. Big earthened mound. Hard to miss.