Web site update

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 1999
      I've updated my web site to include a short list of books with significant
      Cold War C3I content.

      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/alafrance/books.html

      ...Albert
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 28, 1999
        I've added a first draft of the descriptive next to my AT&T Monrovia page:

        http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/alafrance/monrovia.html .

        ...Albert
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 1999
          I've added an information page for the AT&T microwave station near
          Clarksville, MD. Probably the most important aspect of this station is
          that it *appears* to be Monrovia's eastern destination.

          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/alafrance/clarksville.html

          In case you may have missed an update, the web site's history is at:

          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/alafrance/history.html

          ...Albert
        • Mark Foster
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 1999
            A little bit of AUTOVON trivia, Monrovia (as well as San Luis Obispo) were
            the only AUTOVON
            switches to have No. 5 Dial Service Assistance (5 DSA) switchboards. These
            switchboards were
            essentially the "O"perators for the AUTOVON system, providing: call
            assistance, directory assistance, conference calls, transfer requests and
            trouble reports. I have never been to Monrovia, but I would assume that
            the site must have had additional parking and facilities for the AUTOVON
            operators.

            Maybe someone knows when the operators moved to Drainsville? Maybe when
            the 1ESS's were replaced by 5ESS's?

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
              Thanks, that *is* interesting...

              I wonder how many operator positions they had at Monrovia.

              I don't recall exactly how big the Monrovia parking lot is. I'm thinking
              roughly the size of the main lot at Dranesville; maybe 50 cars? That's not
              too much space, especially if the staff worked on non-staggered shifts.
              When you add in the other two lots, Dranesville has way more parking than
              Monrovia.

              One possibility (something I'll look into on my next visit) is that there
              might have been a second lot at Monrovia, but it was sold off after the
              operators left or mission changes reduced staffing needs. I recall some
              houses just west of the facility, which might be on that land.

              The ESS upgrade would seem like a logical time to relocate the operators.
              Maybe the space occupied by the operators was needed to house the 5ESS
              during the cut-over period.

              ...Albert

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
                FYI: The space required for a No. 5 ESS is about 20' by 40'.

                Not much compared to the No. 5 Crossbar and the 1ESS
                which took up much of one floor.

                Also consider most of the L Main stations had parking for
                only 10 or 20 cars.