RE: [coldwarcomms] Question About A NJ Tower (My First Post)

  • Mike Doughney
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2002
      Hi Rob - I see I'm not the only one who's gone back through the archives and
      had their memory tickled. I also saw this odd tower some years ago; it does
      indeed look like there's some kind of enclosed structure at the very top of
      it, and it certainly exceeds 300 feet if not 400 feet. A look at an
      aeronautical chart would answer the height question, but I don't have one
      for that area handy.

      My wild guess is that this tower might have supported antennas for the
      onshore end of the troposcatter microwave link for Texas Tower #4, the Air
      Force early-warning radar platform, which would have been some 75 miles off
      the coast there. The closest shore point for that platform from what I've
      found online is Fire Island, NY which would have been 55 miles, but perhaps
      there was some reason to bring the link ashore in New Jersey (must
      troposcatter links be of some minimum distance to work?) I can't come up
      with any other reason why such a tall tower would have been built so close
      to the shore except for some military/defense purpose.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2002
        Hey guys.

        Since you're talking about NJ....If you're in Central NJ Freehold
        area check on the beauty by the Freehold Mall. I mentioned it a few
        posts back. Also if you're in Cedar Knolls New Jersey, North of
        Morristown, go where the Mennen corporation has their HQ. Near there
        is Horsehill Road go down the hill and look on the left. There is
        cement tower there with 2 microwave horns on it. The building is very
        secure. Has Verizon and ATT logos on it. There are 3-4 generators on
        the side, along with cameras at all corners. I imagine it's a little
        more than a typical Verizon Central office. NJ has a lot of these
        interesting towers.

        http://www.vitalrecords.com/off-site/roxbury.htm
        Take a look at this site. This is ATT's old disaster recovery center.
        I've been in this facility because I was doing business with the
        company. It's about 20 miles north of ATT's present disaster recovery
        center in Bedminster. When I took the tour they showed me the
        executive quarters where they had names of the CEO and other high
        levels on the rooms where they slept. They also have the war room
        with the huge screen where they could bring up the whole county and
        pin-point locations of cuts and have them re-routed.

        --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Mike Doughney" <mike@d...> wrote:
        > Hi Rob - I see I'm not the only one who's gone back through the
        archives and
        > had their memory tickled. I also saw this odd tower some years ago;
        it does
        > indeed look like there's some kind of enclosed structure at the
        very top of
        > it, and it certainly exceeds 300 feet if not 400 feet. A look at an
        > aeronautical chart would answer the height question, but I don't
        have one
        > for that area handy.
        >
        > My wild guess is that this tower might have supported antennas for
        the
        > onshore end of the troposcatter microwave link for Texas Tower #4,
        the Air
        > Force early-warning radar platform, which would have been some 75
        miles off
        > the coast there. The closest shore point for that platform from
        what I've
        > found online is Fire Island, NY which would have been 55 miles, but
        perhaps
        > there was some reason to bring the link ashore in New Jersey (must
        > troposcatter links be of some minimum distance to work?) I can't
        come up
        > with any other reason why such a tall tower would have been built
        so close
        > to the shore except for some military/defense purpose.

        Post)

        > Hi All... I'm a first time poster to the list, but
        > really glad to find it! I've been a fan of towers and
        > microwave sites for years, and thought I was just a
        > "tower geek". Nice to know I'm not the only one!
        >
        > Anyway, regarding the NJ tower described below, I used
        > to work as the program director for radio station
        > WJLK, which was located in the Seaview Square mall. I
        > used to drive past that tower every day on my way to
        > work.
        >
        > It really is a strange looking tower, not like
        > anything I've ever seen. As I recall, it seemed taller
        > 350', with several 2 way antennas and what looks like
        > a railraod box car mounted on top! When I asked one of
        > the engineer types at the staion what it was, they had
        > no idea, although I was told that the tower had an
        > elevator in it. I'd also love to know what that thing
        > was.
        >
        > Rob Walker
      • Paxton Heckman

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT