Inside Spears Mountain #1

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2002
      Here's the first of several images from inside the former AT&T hardened
      troposcatter relay station on Spear Mountain in Buckingham County, VA,
      courtesy of realtor Roger Voisinet:

      http://coldwardc.homestead.com/files/Buckingham/MVC-005Fa.jpg

      I think what we see here is a shock-mounted platform (and part of second
      one, to the left of the columns) which used to support some piece of
      comunications equipment. My guess is that the troposcatter radios
      themselves used to reside here. Note the rough-looking strip down the
      center of the platform, which looks as though something was removed.

      Also, note the railing at the lower right corner, suggesting this is the
      upper level of the facility. The gray equipment mounted near the top of the
      column in the left foreground looks a bit like the spring-mounted alarm
      panel at the hardened Finland, PA main station.

      Note that the graininess in this and the other images I'll post is not in
      the original; it's the result of my cranking up the brightness to bring out
      some background features.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2002
        --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Albert LaFrance" <albertjlafrance@c...>
        wrote:
        > Here's the first of several images from inside the former AT&T
        hardened
        > troposcatter relay station on Spear Mountain in Buckingham County,
        VA,
        > courtesy of realtor Roger Voisinet:
        >
        > http://coldwardc.homestead.com/files/Buckingham/MVC-005Fa.jpg
        >
        > I think what we see here is a shock-mounted platform (and part of
        second
        > one, to the left of the columns) which used to support some piece of
        > comunications equipment. My guess is that the troposcatter radios
        > themselves used to reside here. Note the rough-looking strip down
        the
        > center of the platform, which looks as though something was removed.
        >
        > Also, note the railing at the lower right corner, suggesting this
        is the
        > upper level of the facility. The gray equipment mounted near the
        top of the
        > column in the left foreground looks a bit like the spring-mounted
        alarm
        > panel at the hardened Finland, PA main station.
        >
        > Note that the graininess in this and the other images I'll post is
        not in
        > the original; it's the result of my cranking up the brightness to
        bring out
        > some background features.
        >
        > Albert

        That is an alarm panel on the column, a minor alarm chime and a major
        alarm bell. The platforms might also have been for power plant
        rectifiers and/or battery racks.