IS MORSE CODE USED ANYMORE? DOES ANYONE KNOW MORSE CODE? SAMF

  • Terry W. Colvin
    Message 1 of 15 , May 22, 2017
      From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@...>
      To: AllServicesRadarVets <AllServicesRadarVets@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .
      Date: May 21, 2017 3:06 PM

      -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .
      Sat May 20, 2017 1:52 pm (PDT) . Posted by: loowater

      .. ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / ..- ... . -.. / .- -. -.-- -- --- .-. . ..--.. / -.. --- . ... / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . ..--.. / ... .- -- ..-.

      IS MORSE CODE USED ANYMORE? DOES ANYONE KNOW MORSE CODE? SAMF

      Terry Sayz:
      I'm sure there are a few ditty-boppers still alive. I used
      a 'Morse Code Translator' to grep your message. My friend
      and mentor, Charlie Hedgpeth (RiP), certainly knew Morse
      Code. He passed in 2011.

      I read that Morse Code training was beginning again as an
      alternate to systems that could be degraded, a sort of post
      Apocalypse backup too.

      Terry

      .
      .
      .
      .
      Terry W. Colvin
      Ladphrao (Bangkok), Thailand
      Pran Buri (Hua Hin), Thailand

      http://tlc-brotherhood.net/TLCB_Forum.html ( guests welcome )

      http://terrywcolvin.yolasite.com/
      [Terry's Fortean and "Work" & Interests Web Site]
    • Jon Elson
      Message 2 of 15 , May 22, 2017
        On 05/22/2017 09:22 PM, 'Terry W. Colvin'
        fortean1@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

        > From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@...>
        > To: AllServicesRadarVets
        > <AllServicesRadarVets@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .
        > Date: May 21, 2017 3:06 PM
        >
        > -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .
        > Sat May 20, 2017 1:52 pm (PDT) . Posted by: loowater
        >
        > .. ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / ..- ... . -..
        > / .- -. -.-- -- --- .-. . ..--.. / -.. --- . ... / .- -.
        > -.-- --- -. . / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-.
        > --- -.. . ..--.. / ... .- -- ..-.
        >
        > IS MORSE CODE USED ANYMORE? DOES ANYONE KNOW MORSE CODE? SAMF

        Get an SDR (software defined radio) on eBay for $15 - 30,
        throw a wire out the window and check for yourself.
        But, it seems there are still a LOT of people using Morse on
        the ham bands. I see some other use in other bands, too.

        Jon

      • Mike Walker
        Message 3 of 15 , May 22, 2017
          There is a very interesting young vlogger on youtube, goes by JeffHK—he's
          an officer cadet on a Chinese (I think?) cargo ship. Anyways, he gives a
          video tour of his ship's bridge in one episode and one device he shows is a
          telegraph—not to the engine room, but like an actual Morse Code telegraph
          unit on the main comms console. I don't know exactly how or why they use
          it, but it's there on a clearly modern cargo ship.

          It's at around 7:48 here

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj3_peT4u9M&t=169s

          Mike

          On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 10:22 PM, 'Terry W. Colvin' fortean1@...
          [coldwarcomms] <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@...>
          > To: AllServicesRadarVets <AllServicesRadarVets@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .
          > Date: May 21, 2017 3:06 PM
          >
          > -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .
          > Sat May 20, 2017 1:52 pm (PDT) . Posted by: loowater
          >
          > .. ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / ..- ... . -.. / .- -. -.-- --
          > --- .-. . ..--.. / -.. --- . ... / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -.- -. --- .-- /
          > -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . ..--.. / ... .- -- ..-.
          >
          > IS MORSE CODE USED ANYMORE? DOES ANYONE KNOW MORSE CODE? SAMF
          >
          > Terry Sayz:
          > I'm sure there are a few ditty-boppers still alive. I used
          > a 'Morse Code Translator' to grep your message. My friend
          > and mentor, Charlie Hedgpeth (RiP), certainly knew Morse
          > Code. He passed in 2011.
          >
          > I read that Morse Code training was beginning again as an
          > alternate to systems that could be degraded, a sort of post
          > Apocalypse backup too.
          >
          > Terry
          >
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > Terry W. Colvin
          > Ladphrao (Bangkok), Thailand
          > Pran Buri (Hua Hin), Thailand
          >
          > http://tlc-brotherhood.net/TLCB_Forum.html ( guests welcome )
          >
          > http://terrywcolvin.yolasite.com/
          > [Terry's Fortean and "Work" & Interests Web Site]

        • kn6ks
          Message 4 of 15 , May 22, 2017
            I used to be able to do 20wpm back when I was actively using the mode in the 90s, but my abilities have gone rusty through lack of use. I believe it would come back quickly if I were to start using it again regularly.

            Tom

          • Tim
            Message 5 of 15 , May 22, 2017
              On 5/22/2017 7:22 PM, 'Terry W. Colvin' fortean1@...
              [coldwarcomms] wrote:

              > From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@...>
              >
              > IS MORSE CODE USED ANYMORE? DOES ANYONE KNOW MORSE CODE? SAMF
              >

              > I read that Morse Code training was beginning again as an
              > alternate to systems that could be degraded, a sort of post
              > Apocalypse backup too.

              Please cite the source (unless it was Fortean Times or George Noory).

              Morse Code/CW is still occasionally taught in a joint COMINT
              intercept school in the USA to select students, but that's for Morse
              intercept operator (ditty bopper) people, not military communicators.
              There was a brief thread on this a couple years ago here. Some military
              & intelligence communications nets still do use CW, but the US military has
              (yes, I dare say it...) more robust waveforms available.

            • f_helton
              Message 6 of 15 , May 23, 2017
                Heck, no communicator Morse , only intercept operators was the state of
                affairs 50 years ago in the Air Force.

                Coincidently, today is the 50th anniversary of my departure from Keesler AFB
                (3407th Stu Sq) as a brand new 30434, on my way to the 2146th Comm Group at
                Osan AB, Korea.

                One of the operating sites at Osan did have a HF AM/CW position still
                installed, complete with a semi-automatic key. I think it was supposed to
                hook up with the Navy if the need arose, however, it was never used that I'm
                aware of. I asked one of the ops about it one time, my impression was that
                if they ever had to bring it up they could probably dig up a supervisor who
                could operate Morse but none of the working ops had the skills any more.

                Frank, K0FU
                USAF 66-74, 304X4

                > IS MORSE CODE USED ANYMORE? DOES ANYONE KNOW MORSE CODE? SAMF
                >

                > I read that Morse Code training was beginning again as an
                > alternate to systems that could be degraded, a sort of post
                > Apocalypse backup too.

                Please cite the source (unless it was Fortean Times or George Noory).

                Morse Code/CW is still occasionally taught in a joint COMINT
                intercept school in the USA to select students, but that's for Morse
                intercept operator (ditty bopper) people, not military communicators.
                There was a brief thread on this a couple years ago here. Some military
                & intelligence communications nets still do use CW, but the US military has
                (yes, I dare say it...) more robust waveforms available.

                ------------------------------------
                Posted by: Tim <polohat@...>
                ------------------------------------

                ------------------------------------

                Yahoo Groups Links
              • packy41@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 15 , May 23, 2017
                  I forget where i read it - but .mil still teaches it as a fundamental for certain occupations. Similar how the Navy has gone back to teaching star navigation.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  > On May 23, 2017, at 12:29 AM, Tim polohat@... [coldwarcomms] <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  >
                  > On 5/22/2017 7:22 PM, 'Terry W. Colvin' fortean1@...
                  > [coldwarcomms] wrote:
                  >>
                  >> From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@...>
                  >>
                  >> IS MORSE CODE USED ANYMORE? DOES ANYONE KNOW MORSE CODE? SAMF
                  >>

                  >> I read that Morse Code training was beginning again as an
                  >> alternate to systems that could be degraded, a sort of post
                  >> Apocalypse backup too.
                  >>
                  > Please cite the source (unless it was Fortean Times or George Noory).
                  >
                  > Morse Code/CW is still occasionally taught in a joint COMINT
                  > intercept school in the USA to select students, but that's for Morse
                  > intercept operator (ditty bopper) people, not military communicators.
                  > There was a brief thread on this a couple years ago here. Some military
                  > & intelligence communications nets still do use CW, but the US military has
                  > (yes, I dare say it...) more robust waveforms available.

                  > ------------------------------------
                  > Posted by: Tim <polohat@...>
                  > ------------------------------------
                  >

                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > Yahoo Groups Links

                • Nick England
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 23, 2017
                    "Morse Code: A Staple in the Navy IW Toolkit"
                    http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=92864

                    Nick England K4NYW
                    www.navy-radio.com

                    On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:45 AM, 'packy41@...' packy41@...
                    [coldwarcomms] <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    > I forget where i read it - but .mil still teaches it as a fundamental for
                    > certain occupations. Similar how the Navy has gone back to teaching star
                    > navigation.

                  • MICHAEL ST ANGELO
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 23, 2017
                      Haven't they automated the reception and translation of CW?

                      Mike N2MS

                      > On May 23, 2017 at 10:50 AM "Nick England navy.radio@... [coldwarcomms]" <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      >

                      > "Morse Code: A Staple in the Navy IW Toolkit"
                      > http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=92864
                      >
                      > Nick England K4NYW
                      > www.navy-radio.com
                      >
                      > On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:45 AM, 'packy41@...' packy41@...
                      > [coldwarcomms] <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      >

                      > > I forget where i read it - but .mil still teaches it as a fundamental for
                      > > certain occupations. Similar how the Navy has gone back to teaching star
                      > > navigation.

                      > ------------------------------------
                      > Posted by: Nick England <navy.radio@...>
                      > ------------------------------------
                      >

                      > ------------------------------------
                      >
                      > Yahoo Groups Links

                    • Joe
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 24, 2017
                        Most of the very high speed CW that you hear on the ham bands now is
                        computer-to-computer communications. Actually, CW is the first digital
                        communication mode to be used. The thing that CW has over all the other
                        modes of digital communications is that it can be received by a human
                        with no need of a computer interface. It's an antiquated mode of
                        communication, but it still works.

                        Joe
                      • wftroskey
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 25, 2017
                          It is also, AFAIK, the only ham mode that can be used for EME (moonbounce) communications due to the Doppler Effect.

                          I studied the code for several months and hit the proverbial wall; then the No-Code Technician Class license came out, so I signed up for the next available exam, passed the test, got my license, and never looked at the code again.

                          Bill

                        • k8kwh
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 25, 2017
                            It's a very interesting topic.....no other radio topic tends to polarize people like the code-no code issue. It's not so bad now, but 10 or so years ago it was like Hillary vs. Donald. I expected some of that here when the discussion began.

                            The 'code' guys didn't want to see it go partly because of nostalgia, claims of it being the only 'survivable' comms method (it is good for that) and occasional personal preference.....never understood, though, why those reasons required newcomers to learn it. I've always thought it more about the old guard not wanting to give up a right of passage.....almost, a hazing ritual. "We had to do it....you should have to as well". I guess it would be similar to the reaction of old Marines if the newcomers no longer had to do the 'Crucible'.

                            Many of their recommendations to newcomers actually underlined the insignificance of the mode: "Just learn enough to pass the test" they would say...."You don't have to use it". Hmm

                            They foretold the immediate death of amateur radio if code was dropped. In truth, had the requirement not been largely dropped, Part 97 licensees would have become so sparse as to make the service insignificant,and the frequency allocations ripe for takeover.

                            I predict it will eventually be dropped for all amateur license classes.

                          • Loyd Reedy
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 25, 2017
                              Some Of My Friends Are For Code And Some Of My Friends Are Against Code, I
                              Am For My Friends!

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 25, 2017
                                I just wanted to jump in here. For years I wanted to get an amateur license
                                but could not convince myself to learn Morse code.

                                To my surprise when I checked a while back, they have eliminated all code
                                requirements for any of the amateur licenses. So as KF5FWV, I have my
                                amateur extra class license! And still do not know Morse code.

                                Mike Zaiontz

[...]

                              • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 25, 2017
                                  On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:47 AM, wftroskey@... [coldwarcomms] <
                                  coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  > It is also, AFAIK, the only ham mode that can be used for EME (moonbounce)
                                  > communications due to the Doppler Effect.

                                  Most amateur EME activity is now digital. CW was initially the primary
                                  mode for many years except for the big antenna stations who could and still
                                  use SSB phone. The modern digital modes can decode weak EME signals way
                                  below the threshold of hearing.

                                  W4DEX