Re: [coldwarcomms] The hole at Highpoint?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2002
      Yesterday I remembered that a person who has a lot of experience in secure
      comms had mentioned something about proposals to use earth-conduction
      communications at Mount Weather. I asked him about the DCA report, and he
      said that, based on past conversations with an engineer involved in the
      project, the depth of the hole was consisted with the proposed system. He
      added that the major advantages of earth communications were believed to be
      immunity from jamming and interception, but he didn't think the project was
      ever completed. The Russians are reportedly good at designing this type of
      system.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2002
        I'm pretty sure that, because of the word usage you noted, the statement
        refers to a vertical shaft rather than a tunnel. I think all of the
        tunneling at Mt. Weather was completed before 1963.

        That's a good question about the length of the tunnel. Probably the easiest
        way to determine that that would be to scale the distance off an aerial
        image from Terraserver.