AT&T DC-NYC TV route; Yellow Springs

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2002
      I've updated my Yellow Springs, MD page with links to two Bell Laboratories
      Record articles (courtesy of Terry Michaels)about the Washington-New York
      City microwave route for television, which began service in Sep. 1950. I've
      also updated the historical information:

      http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Yellow_Springs/index.html

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2002
        --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Albert LaFrance" <albertjlafrance@c...>
        wrote:
        > I've updated my Yellow Springs, MD page with links to two Bell
        Laboratories
        > Record articles (courtesy of Terry Michaels)about the Washington-
        New York
        > City microwave route for television, which began service in Sep.
        1950. I've
        > also updated the historical information:
        >
        > http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Yellow_Springs/index.html
        >
        > Albert

        This was also one of the longest hops in the Eastern Region,almost 40
        miles i believe.It probably used the 5W final amp.
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
          Yes, the length of that hop and a few others (like Haymarket-Clark Mtn.)
          really surprised me when I began mapping the DC-area routes. In fact,
          because I didn't have maps and was using old, framentary FCC records, I
          initially thought that I'd missed some relay stations. I was expecting path
          lengths more in the 25-30 mi. range, which is what most AT&T publications
          give as typical.

          That path must have been particularly difficult in the early days when the
          TD-2 transmitters lower output levels.