Field Trip Report - Monticello, GA, AT&T

  • John Warne
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 1999
      Took a 12-hour trip from Gainesville, FL, to Monticello, GA, and back to
      look for the AT&T facility there. Comments indicated it was an underground
      facility similar to Ellisville, FL, and Windermere, FL.

      Matthew Sadler provided coordinates of N 33 20 16, W 83 34 59 for the site.

      Punched them into my Delorme Street Atlas, hooked the TripMate GPS to the
      laptop, and headed out.

      Finding the site was simple with the coordinates. Drove right to it, some
      10 miles outside of Monticello (would have still been wandering around if I
      hadn't had them - thanks, Matthew!).

      Drove up onto the crest of a hill, and there it was - a nuclear blast
      detector sitting in a field. Then, the characteristic squat, pyramide
      screens over the air shafts!

      Oh, yes, a big microwave tower and horns, but there are *lots* of those
      around <g>.

      The underground site is pretty much a carbon-copy of the others. One large
      building with the AT&T deathstar, a large paved area, and another smaller
      building (the large building at Ellisville is the main entrance, the
      smaller building the backdoor to the molehole.

      Standard remote-controlled security gate - TV camera, small proximity
      detector outside the gate just where a car would stop, and a telephone
      handset inside a call box.

      Automatic ringdown when the receiver is lifted. "Monticello," he said.

      I introduced myself and explained I wandered around looking for/at the AT&T
      underground sites constructed back in the late 1960's and would he answer a
      few questions for me.

      Giving him no time to say "yes," or "no," I plunged ahead asking if any of
      the equipment, racks, or panels that were originally spring-mounted still
      existed in his facility. "All gone." Other questions were prefaced with
      info I already knew, such as "Did the nuclear blast detector system ever
      really work." He confirmed the system was never actually in an operational
      mode.

      He was reluctant to answer some specific questions about current
      operations, but I did get him to admit to having a #4ESS (after I told him
      of the #5 at Ellisville). He said "No Autovon." He flatly refused (in a
      nice way) to tell me where Monticello fiber connected to these days (except
      for Ellisville, especially since I told him that was one connection!)

      I asked about the next underground facility north that connected with the
      L-4 carrier system. He said it used to be a place he *thinks* was called
      Stanfield (or Stansfield), NC, but was bypassed when the fiber was installed.

      All microwave has been turned down and fiber is the only link with the
      other stations. There were no radio antennas on the tower, not even the
      8-bay I've seen on other AT&T sites.

      Asked about any National Command Authority radio systems, specifically
      saying Echo/Foxtrot and Combat Ciders and GEP. He said they do not have any
      of that and didn't think they ever had.

      Pressing my luck, I asked who to contact about a tour - hoping he'd say,
      "Come On Down." (He didn't). Said to call AT&T PR in the Atlanta office.

      One thing I have noticed when talking to these people - make sure they know
      you know something about what the facility was originally constructed for,
      housed, and what some of the surface equipment is for.

      It's an old trick used by reporters. Make 'em think you already know all
      the good stuff <grin>.

      I'll make photos available when Seattle Film Works does their thing.

      I checked two other sites (coordinats supplied by Matthew).

      The "MCI" site is a typical microwave site with guyed tower and torque
      platforms at two levels, and round Andrews dishes at various levels and
      directions. The site is the middle of a cow pasture. Closest approach is
      about 1/2 mile unless you want to jump a fence and walk through the cows. I
      chose to use binoculars. No sign of human habitation at the two small
      buildings at the base.

      The other site was an "ECS" site. There was no facility of any kind at the
      coordinates. About 3/4 mile down the road was a cellular site administered
      by BellSouth. Nothing remarkable about this site at all.

      Stanfield, NC, is about 30 miles East of Charlotte on what looks to be a
      small country road (fits the profile), but is also some 230 miles or so
      from Monticello, GA (more than the +/- 150 miles).

      Anybody know the area or have coordinates?
    • Dave Emery
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 1999
        On Sat, Mar 20, 1999 at 09:47:05PM -0500, John Warne wrote:

        > Stanfield, NC, is about 30 miles East of Charlotte on what looks to be a
        > small country road (fits the profile), but is also some 230 miles or so
        > from Monticello, GA (more than the +/- 150 miles).
        >
        > Anybody know the area or have coordinates?

        No coordinates immediately available, there is bunker
        there and a standard microwave tower but the facility is just
        used for storage or similar functions as of 1995 or so. It was
        a very similar site to what you describe when it was active.

        --
        Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
        PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18