was there an explicit request?

  • Goldsmith, Tim
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2002
      Truthfully I have no idea whether we were asked specifically not to mention
      the locations.
      That would happen on another level than mine!
      If a request was made, it could have been official or "on background".
      Clearly the number of people who knew the exact plans was suddenly in the
      100's after it was implemented as opposed to the dozens who saw the plans on
      paper prior to 911.

      I do think that if we had been asked we would have erred on the side of
      caution. Who would want to give a road map to terrorists? I do believe
      however that the planning for these attacks has happened over years and they
      have planned their targets in advance and know as much as we do about C3I in
      the DC area.

      Sometimes the White House will contact all the Washington TV Bureau Chiefs,
      like when Condoleeza Rice asked the networks not to run the newest Bin Laden
      statements in their entirety. A request could also be made at the level of
      the producer or correspondent at the Pentagon etc. and suggest that if such
      and such is reported it might affect that network's ability to get
      information from the "unnamed government officials" at some point in the
      future.

      The Washington Post was asked and complied based on a history of making
      decisions like that. They have chosen to withhold stories or elements of
      stories for periods of time in the past on espionage topics and they know it
      is much harder to report on an administration completely hostile to them
      (think Watergate).

      All of these elements in play keep the White House from activating that
      Office of Wartime Information at Western Maryland College.
      Doesn't the GSA still have a lease on that bunker?

      I think the Casper bunker was already almost useless by the time Gup blew it
      open in the Post Weekend Magazine. Probably focusing on that kept us from
      looking at other things more secret and useful to us.

      My two cents
      Tim

      ---------------------------
      Message: 3
      Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:34:24 -0500
      From: "Rick C." <rickchem@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Re: CoG interview, picture

      Tim-
      Was it just an unwritten rule not to talk about such things, or were
      you asked explicitly by the gov.? Just curious . . . I look back on the
      "Casper" incident, and think about how the congressional officials did not
      ask Ted Gup to hold back his story. . .

      Rick

    • Rick C.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2002
        Thanks Tim!
        The Greenbriar incident has always kept me wondering. From the various
        sources, it seems that there were two divided camps about releasing the
        information: Congressional officials, who did not respond, or made no
        effort to stop the publication, and those in charge of the bunker itself,
        who definitely wanted to keep it secret. This makes me think of three
        possibilities- one, it was outdated, and Congress knew this and had other
        plans (bunkers/sites), two, congress thought the site was useless in the
        post cold war environment, three, whether it was secret or not, as long as
        it remained semi-functional, it could still be a secure relocation center
        for congress.
        My vote is for three. By saying it is no longer secret and not used, it
        gets taken off the nuke target list, and because it is used for tours etc,
        it is still maintained. There are still rooms you are not allowed entry!
        However, I wouldn't want to ascribe to intelligence what can easily be
        ascribed to stupidity (see below)!
        IMHO, any relocation plan for congress must be in some way, held secret
        from congress. I realize this leads to problems w/ separation of powers and
        the like, but it is must easier to keep secrets with one boss who can fire
        you (Pres.) then 535 bosses. Not to mention those in Congress who are
        publically on the record inclined to reveal such secrets. I still wonder
        how the funding for Casper was done, who the maintenance staff was
        accountable to, and who in Congress knew. I think evidence of the mess that
        occurs out of all of this is the recent report that the White House actually
        informed Congressional leaders such as Byrd via their staffers, but the
        staffers never mentioned it to the senators. I suppose this could be white
        house CYA, but it seems relatively plausible to me!

        Rick