Israeli compromise of U.S. telecommunications?

  • Goldsmith, Tim
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 6, 2002
      The Washington Post dismissal of the so called "Israeli Art Students" story
      is interesting...
      Someone has a spin they want to get out.
      The memo they described is more like a counterintelligence activity report,
      in that it is a summary of inquiries and follow ups from dozens of DEA field
      offices and other US Government facilities reporting dates and times of
      literally hundreds of encounters with the students. Rarely are they ever
      arrested, but they were interviewed on many occasions. It appears to my
      naive eyes as a serious report that took some time and resources to
      assemble. I also saw slides and notes from an FBI/DEA briefing on the IAS
      investigation. As the Post asserts, it may all be written by the same guy
      who leaked it. I don't know the origins of the copy I saw.

      There is only one line in the document that describes it as a possible
      counter intelligence activity. Certainly an alternate hypothesis is hard to
      come up with given the patterns of behavior. But the post article seeks to
      dissuade people from the espionage hypothesis.
      We have learned that it has been linked by some people in the government to
      the AMDOCS story and as I understand it, one of the "students" was bailed
      out of jail by someone who works for AMDOCS. Not proof of any relation
      between the two stories but it is intriguing to say the least!

      Whether it is espionage or something more byzantine it is hard to say.

      Tim

      Message: 7
      Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:59:41 -0500
      From: "Albert LaFrance" <albertjlafrance@...>
      Subject: Re: RE: Israeli compromise of U.S. telecommunications?

      From today's Washington Post, a story titled "Reports of Israeli Spy Ring
      Dismised":

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45802-2002Mar6.html

    • Goldsmith, Tim

        Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:59:41 -0500
        From: "Albert LaFrance" <albertjlafrance@...>

        From today's Washington Post, a story titled "Reports of Israeli Spy Ring
        Dismised":

        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45802-2002Mar6.html

      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 6, 2002
          Unnamed Administration sources reported that Goldsmith, Tim said:

          > The Washington Post dismissal of the so called "Israeli Art Students" story
          > is interesting...
          > Someone has a spin they want to get out.

          Well, YMMV.

          It so happens I've read the DEA report in question. It 'fell off
          the truck' into the hands of a journalist friend who wrote about
          it. He asked me about it a week ago Thursday?Friday.

          I read it and also asked a friend, someone retired from a
          midlevel military CI investigator position. While there are lots
          if interesting tidbits; there were several factors that convinced
          both of us that it was not a IDFI operation. First was the fact
          that there was such a lousy job on the legends; second was another
          factor I'll withhold.

          But it's true it's a major scam, and highly profitable. When you
          buy the equivalent of velvet Elvis's for $3 each and peddle them
          for $50-100; that's good margins.

          BTW, the best part of the report was this. Each field office had
          been asked to report any such activity. 90% came back with some
          description, some highly detailed. Two or three, ones outside
          CONUS, said "not here"..

          But one domestic office, clearly not wanting to be left out,
          reported snatching up an WM AMCIT with a errr ...colorful
          record. He had zippo ties to .il; but dammit, he WAS selling
          cheesy art. Book 'em, Danno.

          As if to reinforce how common a scam the art deal is; that same
          Friday, a blue hair, blue eye'ed Midwestern accent kid showed
          up at my office, and guess what he was selling. Maybe I should
          have interrogated him in Hebrew, but mine is not even at the
          "hello" level...