Re: [coldwarcomms] RE: Israeli compromise of U.S. telecommunications?

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 6, 2002
      Some random info...

      (1) TV alert for DC-area viewers: I just caught the end of a teaser for
      tonight's WJLA (Ch. 7, ABC) local news. Reporter Dale Solly (sp?) was
      saying something about "Israeli agents" and "...biggest spy case...".

      (2) The FCC's CALEA web page is at:
      http://wireless.fcc.gov/csinfo/calea.html

      (3) The FBI's CALEA web page is at:
      http://www.askcalea.com/

      (4) The Jan. 19, 2002 Washington Post (p. A12) listed the numbers and
      countries of origin of the people being held by the INS in relation to the
      terrorism investigation, as of Jan. 4. The number of Israelis was 20.

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 6, 2002
        From today's Washington Post, a story titled "Reports of Israeli Spy Ring
        Dismised":

        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45802-2002Mar6.html

        Albert
      • Goldsmith, Tim
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 6, 2002
          The Washington Post dismissal of the so called "Israeli Art Students" story
          is interesting...
          Someone has a spin they want to get out.
          The memo they described is more like a counterintelligence activity report,
          in that it is a summary of inquiries and follow ups from dozens of DEA field
          offices and other US Government facilities reporting dates and times of
          literally hundreds of encounters with the students. Rarely are they ever
          arrested, but they were interviewed on many occasions. It appears to my
          naive eyes as a serious report that took some time and resources to
          assemble. I also saw slides and notes from an FBI/DEA briefing on the IAS
          investigation. As the Post asserts, it may all be written by the same guy
          who leaked it. I don't know the origins of the copy I saw.

          There is only one line in the document that describes it as a possible
          counter intelligence activity. Certainly an alternate hypothesis is hard to
          come up with given the patterns of behavior. But the post article seeks to
          dissuade people from the espionage hypothesis.
          We have learned that it has been linked by some people in the government to
          the AMDOCS story and as I understand it, one of the "students" was bailed
          out of jail by someone who works for AMDOCS. Not proof of any relation
          between the two stories but it is intriguing to say the least!

          Whether it is espionage or something more byzantine it is hard to say.

          Tim

          Message: 7
          Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:59:41 -0500
          From: "Albert LaFrance" <albertjlafrance@...>

          From today's Washington Post, a story titled "Reports of Israeli Spy Ring

            Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:59:41 -0500
            From: "Albert LaFrance" <albertjlafrance@...>

            From today's Washington Post, a story titled "Reports of Israeli Spy Ring
            Dismised":

            http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45802-2002Mar6.html

          • David Lesher
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 6, 2002
              Unnamed Administration sources reported that Goldsmith, Tim said:

              > The Washington Post dismissal of the so called "Israeli Art Students" story
              > is interesting...
              > Someone has a spin they want to get out.

              Well, YMMV.

              It so happens I've read the DEA report in question. It 'fell off
              the truck' into the hands of a journalist friend who wrote about
              it. He asked me about it a week ago Thursday?Friday.

              I read it and also asked a friend, someone retired from a
              midlevel military CI investigator position. While there are lots
              if interesting tidbits; there were several factors that convinced
              both of us that it was not a IDFI operation. First was the fact
              that there was such a lousy job on the legends; second was another
              factor I'll withhold.

              But it's true it's a major scam, and highly profitable. When you
              buy the equivalent of velvet Elvis's for $3 each and peddle them
              for $50-100; that's good margins.

              BTW, the best part of the report was this. Each field office had
              been asked to report any such activity. 90% came back with some
              description, some highly detailed. Two or three, ones outside
              CONUS, said "not here"..

              But one domestic office, clearly not wanting to be left out,
              reported snatching up an WM AMCIT with a errr ...colorful
              record. He had zippo ties to .il; but dammit, he WAS selling
              cheesy art. Book 'em, Danno.

              As if to reinforce how common a scam the art deal is; that same
              Friday, a blue hair, blue eye'ed Midwestern accent kid showed
              up at my office, and guess what he was selling. Maybe I should
              have interrogated him in Hebrew, but mine is not even at the
              "hello" level...