COG

  • CBright10@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 4, 2002
      List members who do not already receive the FAS email newsletter may be
      interested in this excerpt:

      RESOURCES ON CONTINUITY OF GOVERNMENT

      The Washington Post provided only a sketchy account of U.S. policy
      governing emergency continuity of operations, noting that most of the
      relevant current documentation is classified.

      President Reagan's executive order 12656 "is a precursor to documents
      outlining the contingency plans in greater detail, which have not been
      made public," the Post reported on March 2. See that 1988 Reagan
      executive order here:

      http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/EO12656.htm

      In fact, however, there is a good deal more (and more recent) public
      information about this matter than the Post indicated.

      To begin with, it was President Clinton's 1998 Presidential Decision
      Directive 67 which, until most recently, established the framework for
      continuity of operations planning. Although the text of this Directive
      has not been released, its contents are summarized here:

      http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/pdd/pdd-67.htm

      Further, in response to PDD 67, the Federal Emergency Management Agency
      prepared a 1999 Federal Preparedness Circular (FPC-65) that provides
      guidance to executive branch agencies for use in planning for the
      continuity of operations.

      See the text of that FEMA memo on "Federal Executive Branch Continuity
      of Operations (COOP)" here:

      http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/pdd/fpc-65.htm

      One of the requirements set forth by FEMA is the establishment of an
      "order of succession" for each agency, identifying the sequence of
      personnel who would assume leadership of the agency in the event of
      emergency.

      In late December, President Bush issued an initially puzzling series of
      executive orders governing the order of succession at eight agencies.
      See:

      http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/12/20011228-eo.html

    • Blake Bowers
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
        Day after Disaster today on the History channel.

        Interesting to hear that DHS says there are 90 COG bunkers in
        the federal arc.

        Don't take your organs to heaven,
        heaven knows we need them down here!
      • Tim Moriarty
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 4, 2009
          I'd always heard it was @ 75... .

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
            I love COG
            just what are they going to be governing Mutants or Zombies?

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@...> wrote:

            > Day after Disaster today on the History channel.
            >
            > Interesting to hear that DHS says there are 90 COG bunkers in
            > the federal arc.
            >

            > Don't take your organs to heaven,
            > heaven knows we need them down here!
            > Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.

          • Kenneth Coney
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
              The dead, and each other. No doubt the surviving GS 9 President wll
              declare him/herself President for Life and the surviving best looking
              in the bunker (cave) to be their slave and necessary for the 'sake of
              what is left of humanity.'

              Forget them. Those hiding in bunkers, and their edicts, will be of no
              real importance to those outside the bunkers. Matter of fact,
              survivors with half a brain and some time to spare will probably chop
              any power or communication lines and seal the durn things.

              On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:32 AM, thatstom <thatstom@...> wrote:
              > I love COG
              > just what are they going to be governing Mutants or Zombies?
              >
              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Day after Disaster today on the History channel.
              >>
              >> Interesting to hear that DHS says there are 90 COG bunkers in
              >> the federal arc.
              >>

              >> Don't take your organs to heaven,
              >> heaven knows we need them down here!
              >> Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.

            • Mike Cowen
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
                Liberty & justice for all. "JustUs"...

                At 07:35 AM 10/6/2009, you wrote:

                >The dead, and each other. No doubt the surviving GS 9 President wll
                >declare him/herself President for Life and the surviving best looking
                >in the bunker (cave) to be their slave and necessary for the 'sake of
                >what is left of humanity.'
                >
                >Forget them. Those hiding in bunkers, and their edicts, will be of no
                >real importance to those outside the bunkers. Matter of fact,
                >survivors with half a brain and some time to spare will probably chop
                >any power or communication lines and seal the durn things.
                >
                >On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:32 AM, thatstom
                ><<mailto:thatstom%40yahoo.com>thatstom@...> wrote:
                > > I love COG
                > > just what are they going to be governing Mutants or Zombies?
                > >
                > > --- In
                > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com,
                > "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@...> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Day after Disaster today on the History channel.
                > >>
                > >> Interesting to hear that DHS says there are 90 COG bunkers in
                > >> the federal arc.
                > >>

                > >> Don't take your organs to heaven,
                > >> heaven knows we need them down here!
                > >> Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.

              • Hooligan
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
                  Clearly, those of you ranting about your post-Appocalyptic political
                  fantasies are the 'mutants'
                  whose opinions or survival is of very little consequence pre or post
                  appocalypse, and thus never got the invitation to relocate to a bunker.

                  The reality is that before, during and after a disaster --including
                  an all-out nuclear
                  war, populations require an enduring Constitutional
                  government at the local, state & federal levels to provide leadership,
                  direction, some semblence of normalcy and
                  hope for the future. Your black block anarchy braggadocio is amusing,
                  but baseless.

                  Sent from my iPhone because I can.

                  On Oct 6, 2009, at 11:04, Mike Cowen <mcowen@...> wrote:

                  > Liberty & justice for all. "JustUs"...
                  >
                  > At 07:35 AM 10/6/2009, you wrote:
                  > >

                  > >The dead, and each other. No doubt the surviving GS 9 President wll
                  > >declare him/herself President for Life and the surviving best looking
                  > >in the bunker (cave) to be their slave and necessary for the 'sake of
                  > >what is left of humanity.'
                  > >
                  > >Forget them. Those hiding in bunkers, and their edicts, will be of no
                  > >real importance to those outside the bunkers. Matter of fact,
                  > >survivors with half a brain and some time to spare will probably chop
                  > >any power or communication lines and seal the durn things.
                  > >
                  > >On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:32 AM, thatstom
                  > ><<mailto:thatstom%40yahoo.com>thatstom@...> wrote:
                  > > > I love COG
                  > > > just what are they going to be governing Mutants or Zombies?
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In
                  > > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com,

                • David Krugler
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
                    Re: Day after Disaster day on the History channel: "Interesting to hear that DHS says there are 90 COG bunkers in
                    the federal arc."

                    Didn't see the program, but if DHS claimed there are are 90 *bunkers* in the Federal Relocation Arc around D.C., they're wrong: there were, at the height of the Cold War, more than 90 COG sites, but only a few were underground, fortified bunkers. Most relocation sites were public and college buildings 50-300 miles from D.C. For an overview of the Arc, see p. 95 of my book _This Is Only a Test: How Washington, D.C., Prepared for Nuclear War_. (You can view this page for free on Amazon.)

                    David Krugler
                  • Book Warrior
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
                      >The dead, and each other. No doubt the surviving GS 9 President wll
                      >declare him/herself President for Life and the surviving best looking
                      >in the bunker (cave) to be their slave and necessary for the 'sake of
                      >what is left of humanity.'
                      >
                      >Forget them. Those hiding in bunkers, and their edicts, will be of no
                      >real importance to those outside the bunkers. Matter of fact,
                      >survivors with half a brain and some time to spare will probably chop
                      >any power or communication lines and seal the durn things.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMw6zKM7JjY
                      ;)

                      >On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:32 AM, thatstom
                      ><<mailto:thatstom% 40yahoo.com>thatstom@yahoo. com> wrote:
                      > > I love COG
                      > > just what are they going to be governing Mutants or Zombies?
                      > >
                      > > --- In
                      > <mailto:coldwarcomm s%40yahoogroups. com>coldwarcomms@ yahoogroups. com,
                      > "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@... > wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> Day after Disaster today on the History channel.
                      > >>
                      > >> Interesting to hear that DHS says there are 90 COG bunkers in
                      > >> the federal arc.
                      > >>

                      > >> Don't take your organs to heaven,
                      > >> heaven knows we need them down here!
                      > >> Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.

                      and selfless acts of beauty.
                      mcowen@mindspring. com -Anonymous

                    • Mike Harpe
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
                        I watched the show. They had an animation sequence of Washington being
                        destroyed that they were quite pleased with. They showed it over and over
                        again.

                        I don't recall the specific number of bunkers. The overall tone of the show
                        was kind of paranoid, making sure to mention the possibility of martial law,
                        how not everyone who is hurt can be treated, etc., etc. I didn't think there
                        was a whole lot of really new information in the show. The intent seemed to
                        be to frighten more than anything else.

                        Mike Harpe

                        On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:40 PM, David Krugler <kruglerd@...> wrote:

                        > Re: Day after Disaster day on the History channel: "Interesting to hear
                        > that DHS says there are 90 COG bunkers in
                        > the federal arc."
                        >
                        > Didn't see the program, but if DHS claimed there are are 90 *bunkers* in
                        > the Federal Relocation Arc around D.C., they're wrong: there were, at the
                        > height of the Cold War, more than 90 COG sites, but only a few were
                        > underground, fortified bunkers. Most relocation sites were public and
                        > college buildings 50-300 miles from D.C. For an overview of the Arc, see p.
                        > 95 of my book _This Is Only a Test: How Washington, D.C., Prepared for
                        > Nuclear War_. (You can view this page for free on Amazon.)
                        >
                        > David Krugler

                        Please note my new email address:
                        mike@...

                      • Rod Lannon
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 6, 2009
                          Rather be close to ground zero. That way no need
                          to concern myself with radiation sickness, or many years
                          of watching mutations and worry about cancer.

                          Survival of all out nuclear war, IMHO, would not be worth it.

                          Rod

                          Hooligan wrote:
                          > Clearly, those of you ranting about your post-Appocalyptic political
                          > fantasies are the 'mutants'
                          > whose opinions or survival is of very little consequence pre or post
                          > appocalypse, and thus never got the invitation to relocate to a bunker.
                          >
                          > The reality is that before, during and after a disaster --including
                          > an all-out nuclear
                          > war, populations require an enduring Constitutional
                          > government at the local, state & federal levels to provide leadership,
                          > direction, some semblence of normalcy and
                          > hope for the future. Your black block anarchy braggadocio is amusing,
                          > but baseless.
                          >

                          > Sent from my iPhone because I can.
                          >
                          > On Oct 6, 2009, at 11:04, Mike Cowen <mcowen@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> Liberty & justice for all. "JustUs"...
                          >>
                          >> At 07:35 AM 10/6/2009, you wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> The dead, and each other. No doubt the surviving GS 9 President wll
                          >>> declare him/herself President for Life and the surviving best looking
                          >>> in the bunker (cave) to be their slave and necessary for the 'sake of
                          >>> what is left of humanity.'
                          >>>
                          >>> Forget them. Those hiding in bunkers, and their edicts, will be of no
                          >>> real importance to those outside the bunkers. Matter of fact,
                          >>> survivors with half a brain and some time to spare will probably chop
                          >>> any power or communication lines and seal the durn things.

                          >>> <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com,

                        • Craig Scott
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 7, 2009
                            Yup...me too.  I work a few miles from the Capitol in Albany NY....a sure target in a nuke war....and I live NEXT DOOR to the Watervliet Arsenal....also on the hit list as it is one of two big gun mfgrs. in the US.  Lived with that most of my life...I remember doing duck and cover drills in high school (Wvlt.) and thinking:  This is not going to make a bit of difference.
                            Craig
                            Watervliet NY

                            ________________________________

                            Hooligan wrote:
                            > Clearly, those of you ranting about your post-Appocalyptic political
                            > fantasies are the 'mutants'
                            > whose opinions or survival is of very little consequence pre or post
                            > appocalypse, and thus never got the invitation to relocate to a bunker.
                            >
                            >    The reality is that before, during and after a disaster --including
                            > an all-out nuclear
                            > war, populations require an enduring Constitutional
                            > government at the local, state & federal levels to provide leadership,
                            > direction, some semblence of normalcy and
                            > hope for the future.  Your black block anarchy braggadocio is amusing,
                            > but baseless.
                            >

                            > Sent from my iPhone because I can.
                            >
                            > On Oct 6, 2009, at 11:04, Mike Cowen <mcowen@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> Liberty & justice for all. "JustUs"...
                            >>
                            >> At 07:35 AM 10/6/2009, you wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> The dead, and each other. No doubt the surviving GS 9 President wll
                            >>> declare him/herself President for Life and the surviving best looking
                            >>> in the bunker (cave) to be their slave and necessary for the 'sake of
                            >>> what is left of humanity.'
                            >>>
                            >>> Forget them. Those hiding in bunkers, and their edicts, will be of no
                            >>> real importance to those outside the bunkers. Matter of fact,
                            >>> survivors with half a brain and some time to spare will probably chop
                            >>> any power or communication lines and seal the durn things.

                            >>> <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com,

                          • RobertF
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 7, 2009
                              Of course, statistically you'll probably develop cancer or have a stroke or heart attack even in the absence of a nuclear attack....

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 8, 2009
                                Oh yes bravo to you sir.
                                Hear Hear, wow so you like politics.
                                wait till you spend a couple of years sealed in a bunker with them.
                                What the people need is good effective government
                                and since that is an ideal as yet unattained...

                                I am on the call list and you know what I think I am going to be late.
                                What they have not noticed is that we did not put handles
                                on the inside of the doors. So once they go in,they stay in.

                                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Hooligan <hooligan@...> wrote:

                                > Clearly, those of you ranting about your post-Appocalyptic political
                                > fantasies are the 'mutants'
                                > whose opinions or survival is of very little consequence pre or post
                                > appocalypse, and thus never got the invitation to relocate to a bunker.
                                >
                                > The reality is that before, during and after a disaster --including
                                > an all-out nuclear
                                > war, populations require an enduring Constitutional
                                > government at the local, state & federal levels to provide leadership,
                                > direction, some semblence of normalcy and
                                > hope for the future. Your black block anarchy braggadocio is amusing,
                                > but baseless.
                                >

                                > Sent from my iPhone because I can.
                                >
                                > On Oct 6, 2009, at 11:04, Mike Cowen <mcowen@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Liberty & justice for all. "JustUs"...
                                > >
                                > > At 07:35 AM 10/6/2009, you wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > >The dead, and each other. No doubt the surviving GS 9 President wll
                                > > >declare him/herself President for Life and the surviving best looking
                                > > >in the bunker (cave) to be their slave and necessary for the 'sake of
                                > > >what is left of humanity.'
                                > > >
                                > > >Forget them. Those hiding in bunkers, and their edicts, will be of no
                                > > >real importance to those outside the bunkers. Matter of fact,
                                > > >survivors with half a brain and some time to spare will probably chop
                                > > >any power or communication lines and seal the durn things.

                                > > > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com,

                              • james kester
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 8, 2012
                                  http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/about-us/pcood.html