Re: CoG interview

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
      --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Albert LaFrance" <albertjlafrance@c...>
      wrote:
      > Also interesting is that the operation is run by the White House,
      and that
      > no mention is made of a FEMA role in CoG activities.

      I suspect FEMA has been put in a supporting role of COG in recent
      years;with it's bad press, preoccupation with natural disasters,&
      congressional concerns about to much power in national emergencies
      (like many websites have suggested).

      I don't think there is any doubt that Mt. Weather was the HQ of a
      shadow gov't from the 1950's on, & probably still is; with todays
      comms capabilities there is no need for a fixed alternate central
      location , so multiple locations,including portable/mobile,networked
      together seem more viable to insure the continuity of the COG
      mission.

      CoG

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
        ABC World News Tonight reports that VP Cheney's "undisclosed location" is
        not one of the two "shadow government" locations; the VP site was described
        as being plusher and having better communications.

        Albert
      • Rick C.
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
          Anybody catch (or watch the repeats later) the News with Brian Williams and
          its first story on MSNBC/CNBC tonight? They had footage of government
          officials on Sept. 11 going into an underground bunker. The entrance was a
          simple, maybe 10 x 10 brick single story building, that appeared to be
          rather by itself in an open area. Any clues to where they were?
          Also, they mentioned a military command center in West Virginia, that was
          no longer used. I am guessing they meant the Greenbriar (the pictures
          looked similar) - but could it be something else?

          Rick

        • ewilson1234
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
            cnn.com has an article about the interview. They did mentiont the two
            bunkers and also the one under the Whitehouse. They also made a
            mention of the FEMA CoG tie in and had a link to FAS with some FEMA
            into.

            Oddly, the FEMA info/link is no longer in the article...
          • go2theglow
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
              Yup, I caught that,. Also Friday morning Good Morning America
              intervied the Washington Post reported who "broke" the story and he
              eluded that he knew where the location of the bunkers were. He more
              or less said that the Washington Post had agreeded not to disclose
              the undisclosed location :) It makes you wonder how secret a location
              in can be if camera crew can photo. One of the army people was
              looking right in the camera. My guess is that this was file footage.

              Joel

              --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Rick C." <rickchem@h...> wrote:
              > Anybody catch (or watch the repeats later) the News with Brian
              Williams and
              > its first story on MSNBC/CNBC tonight? They had footage of
              government
              > officials on Sept. 11 going into an underground bunker. The
              entrance was a
              > simple, maybe 10 x 10 brick single story building, that appeared to
              be
              > rather by itself in an open area. Any clues to where they were?
              <snip>
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 27, 2002
                > I suspect FEMA has been put in a supporting role of COG in recent
                > years;with it's bad press, preoccupation with natural disasters,&
                > congressional concerns about to much power in national emergencies
                > (like many websites have suggested).

                I think that's very likely, for all the reasons you cite. There's some
                irony in FEMA's shifting their focus (at least publicly) to natural-disaster
                mitigation, since the present threat demands something much more like the
                "old FEMA" Cold War mission. In fact, it could be argued that assets like
                Mt. Weather are actually *more* useful in today's situation than they were
                in the later years of the Cold War.

                > I don't think there is any doubt that Mt. Weather was the HQ of a
                > shadow gov't from the 1950's on, & probably still is; with todays
                > comms capabilities there is no need for a fixed alternate central
                > location , so multiple locations,including portable/mobile,networked
                > together seem more viable to insure the continuity of the COG
                > mission.

                Yes, it's my understanding that Mt. Weather was specifically built to be the
                hub of the executive-branch emergency relocation sites in the Federal Arc,
                with the Interagency Communications System providing links between those
                sites and "High Point".

                I think if CoG planners were starting from scratch today in designing a
                relocation scheme for a nuclear-attack scenario, they might well go with a
                concept based almost entirely on mobile facilities, scattered around the
                country at various low-risk target areas.