Re: [coldwarcomms] CoG interview

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
      Also interesting is that the operation is run by the White House, and that
      no mention is made of a FEMA role in CoG activities.

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
        In a message dated 3/1/2002 8:38:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, wb8foz@...
        writes:

        > Today's Morning Edition featured an interview with the WashPost
        > article's author. He made mention that one of the sites was up
        > to date, technology-wise, as it had on-going military ops.

        My educated guess, based on the nature of the threat and some open-source
        tidbits about visible measures being taken at the places lead me to believe
        the two sites in question are the two well-known (to anyone with a modicum of
        interest in COG & C3,I) large ones in the region set up in the 1950s for just
        such a purpose, and not any previously unknown 'black' sites.

        Not to imply the black sites aren't involved, though.

        Tim

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
          --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Albert LaFrance" <albertjlafrance@c...>
          wrote:
          > Also interesting is that the operation is run by the White House,
          and that
          > no mention is made of a FEMA role in CoG activities.

          I suspect FEMA has been put in a supporting role of COG in recent
          years;with it's bad press, preoccupation with natural disasters,&
          congressional concerns about to much power in national emergencies
          (like many websites have suggested).

          I don't think there is any doubt that Mt. Weather was the HQ of a
          shadow gov't from the 1950's on, & probably still is; with todays
          comms capabilities there is no need for a fixed alternate central
          location , so multiple locations,including portable/mobile,networked
          together seem more viable to insure the continuity of the COG
          mission.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
            ABC World News Tonight reports that VP Cheney's "undisclosed location" is
            not one of the two "shadow government" locations; the VP site was described
            as being plusher and having better communications.

            Albert
          • Rick C.
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
              Anybody catch (or watch the repeats later) the News with Brian Williams and
              its first story on MSNBC/CNBC tonight? They had footage of government
              officials on Sept. 11 going into an underground bunker. The entrance was a
              simple, maybe 10 x 10 brick single story building, that appeared to be
              rather by itself in an open area. Any clues to where they were?
              Also, they mentioned a military command center in West Virginia, that was
              no longer used. I am guessing they meant the Greenbriar (the pictures
              looked similar) - but could it be something else?

              Rick

            • ewilson1234
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
                cnn.com has an article about the interview. They did mentiont the two
                bunkers and also the one under the Whitehouse. They also made a
                mention of the FEMA CoG tie in and had a link to FAS with some FEMA
                into.

                Oddly, the FEMA info/link is no longer in the article...
              • go2theglow
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
                  Yup, I caught that,. Also Friday morning Good Morning America
                  intervied the Washington Post reported who "broke" the story and he
                  eluded that he knew where the location of the bunkers were. He more
                  or less said that the Washington Post had agreeded not to disclose
                  the undisclosed location :) It makes you wonder how secret a location
                  in can be if camera crew can photo. One of the army people was
                  looking right in the camera. My guess is that this was file footage.

                  Joel

                  --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Rick C." <rickchem@h...> wrote:
                  > Anybody catch (or watch the repeats later) the News with Brian
                  Williams and
                  > its first story on MSNBC/CNBC tonight? They had footage of
                  government
                  > officials on Sept. 11 going into an underground bunker. The
                  entrance was a
                  > simple, maybe 10 x 10 brick single story building, that appeared to
                  be
                  > rather by itself in an open area. Any clues to where they were?
                  <snip>
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 27 2:00 PM
                    > I suspect FEMA has been put in a supporting role of COG in recent
                    > years;with it's bad press, preoccupation with natural disasters,&
                    > congressional concerns about to much power in national emergencies
                    > (like many websites have suggested).

                    I think that's very likely, for all the reasons you cite. There's some
                    irony in FEMA's shifting their focus (at least publicly) to natural-disaster
                    mitigation, since the present threat demands something much more like the
                    "old FEMA" Cold War mission. In fact, it could be argued that assets like
                    Mt. Weather are actually *more* useful in today's situation than they were
                    in the later years of the Cold War.

                    > I don't think there is any doubt that Mt. Weather was the HQ of a
                    > shadow gov't from the 1950's on, & probably still is; with todays
                    > comms capabilities there is no need for a fixed alternate central
                    > location , so multiple locations,including portable/mobile,networked
                    > together seem more viable to insure the continuity of the COG
                    > mission.

                    Yes, it's my understanding that Mt. Weather was specifically built to be the
                    hub of the executive-branch emergency relocation sites in the Federal Arc,
                    with the Interagency Communications System providing links between those
                    sites and "High Point".

                    I think if CoG planners were starting from scratch today in designing a
                    relocation scheme for a nuclear-attack scenario, they might well go with a
                    concept based almost entirely on mobile facilities, scattered around the
                    country at various low-risk target areas.