Re: [coldwarcomms] CoG interview

  • Rick C.
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
      For those that missed the Wash-Post article:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20584-2002Feb28.html

      Fascinating that the government asked the Post not to disclose the two
      locations, and that the complaint was made once again about the lack of
      communications. I suppose we are once again entering an era of CoG concern
      and funding . . .

      Rick

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
        Interesting. That statement, together with information in the article,
        suggests that the two locations might be Mt. Weather and Site R. I don't
        recall hearing of any civilian agency presence at Site R, but articles
        posted widely on the web well before the terror attacks name Mt. Weather
        (usually in a somewhat sinister context) as home to exactly the kind of
        "shadow govenment" described in the Post article.

        Site R and Mt. Weather have been named in the press since 9/11 as relocation
        sites, though not specifically for a "shadow government" (to my knowledge).
        It seems odd that the writer didn't at least mention those sites as examples
        of Cold War-era CoG facilities in the eastern US, just the way he cited
        Cheyenne Mountain in the west. The fact that the article ignores those two
        previously-publicized locations, in light of the White House request for
        secrecy regarding locations, could be taken as evidence that they are the
        "shadow government" sites.

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
          Also interesting is that the operation is run by the White House, and that
          no mention is made of a FEMA role in CoG activities.

        • hooligan@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
            In a message dated 3/1/2002 8:38:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, wb8foz@...
            writes:

            > Today's Morning Edition featured an interview with the WashPost
            > article's author. He made mention that one of the sites was up
            > to date, technology-wise, as it had on-going military ops.

            My educated guess, based on the nature of the threat and some open-source
            tidbits about visible measures being taken at the places lead me to believe
            the two sites in question are the two well-known (to anyone with a modicum of
            interest in COG & C3,I) large ones in the region set up in the 1950s for just
            such a purpose, and not any previously unknown 'black' sites.

            Not to imply the black sites aren't involved, though.

            Tim

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
              --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Albert LaFrance" <albertjlafrance@c...>
              wrote:
              > Also interesting is that the operation is run by the White House,
              and that
              > no mention is made of a FEMA role in CoG activities.

              I suspect FEMA has been put in a supporting role of COG in recent
              years;with it's bad press, preoccupation with natural disasters,&
              congressional concerns about to much power in national emergencies
              (like many websites have suggested).

              I don't think there is any doubt that Mt. Weather was the HQ of a
              shadow gov't from the 1950's on, & probably still is; with todays
              comms capabilities there is no need for a fixed alternate central
              location , so multiple locations,including portable/mobile,networked
              together seem more viable to insure the continuity of the COG
              mission.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
                ABC World News Tonight reports that VP Cheney's "undisclosed location" is
                not one of the two "shadow government" locations; the VP site was described
                as being plusher and having better communications.

                Albert
              • Rick C.
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
                  Anybody catch (or watch the repeats later) the News with Brian Williams and
                  its first story on MSNBC/CNBC tonight? They had footage of government
                  officials on Sept. 11 going into an underground bunker. The entrance was a
                  simple, maybe 10 x 10 brick single story building, that appeared to be
                  rather by itself in an open area. Any clues to where they were?
                  Also, they mentioned a military command center in West Virginia, that was
                  no longer used. I am guessing they meant the Greenbriar (the pictures
                  looked similar) - but could it be something else?

                  Rick

                • ewilson1234
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
                    cnn.com has an article about the interview. They did mentiont the two
                    bunkers and also the one under the Whitehouse. They also made a
                    mention of the FEMA CoG tie in and had a link to FAS with some FEMA
                    into.

                    Oddly, the FEMA info/link is no longer in the article...
                  • go2theglow
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
                      Yup, I caught that,. Also Friday morning Good Morning America
                      intervied the Washington Post reported who "broke" the story and he
                      eluded that he knew where the location of the bunkers were. He more
                      or less said that the Washington Post had agreeded not to disclose
                      the undisclosed location :) It makes you wonder how secret a location
                      in can be if camera crew can photo. One of the army people was
                      looking right in the camera. My guess is that this was file footage.

                      Joel

                      --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Rick C." <rickchem@h...> wrote:
                      > Anybody catch (or watch the repeats later) the News with Brian
                      Williams and
                      > its first story on MSNBC/CNBC tonight? They had footage of
                      government
                      > officials on Sept. 11 going into an underground bunker. The
                      entrance was a
                      > simple, maybe 10 x 10 brick single story building, that appeared to
                      be
                      > rather by itself in an open area. Any clues to where they were?
                      <snip>
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 27 2:00 PM
                        > I suspect FEMA has been put in a supporting role of COG in recent
                        > years;with it's bad press, preoccupation with natural disasters,&
                        > congressional concerns about to much power in national emergencies
                        > (like many websites have suggested).

                        I think that's very likely, for all the reasons you cite. There's some
                        irony in FEMA's shifting their focus (at least publicly) to natural-disaster
                        mitigation, since the present threat demands something much more like the
                        "old FEMA" Cold War mission. In fact, it could be argued that assets like
                        Mt. Weather are actually *more* useful in today's situation than they were
                        in the later years of the Cold War.

                        > I don't think there is any doubt that Mt. Weather was the HQ of a
                        > shadow gov't from the 1950's on, & probably still is; with todays
                        > comms capabilities there is no need for a fixed alternate central
                        > location , so multiple locations,including portable/mobile,networked
                        > together seem more viable to insure the continuity of the COG
                        > mission.

                        Yes, it's my understanding that Mt. Weather was specifically built to be the
                        hub of the executive-branch emergency relocation sites in the Federal Arc,
                        with the Interagency Communications System providing links between those
                        sites and "High Point".

                        I think if CoG planners were starting from scratch today in designing a
                        relocation scheme for a nuclear-attack scenario, they might well go with a
                        concept based almost entirely on mobile facilities, scattered around the
                        country at various low-risk target areas.