AT&T Finland, PA fact sheet

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2002
      A three-page Bell System internal fact sheet, probably from 1969:

      http://www19.addr.com/~longline/places-routes/Finland/Fact-Sheet-1.html

      I was especially interested in the suggestion (p1) that the facility's
      "hardened" features should not be overemphasized "...because of the ominous
      spectre of nuclear holocaust which they arouse."

      Also, note (p2) that nine miles of the coaxial cable between Finland and Ft.
      Washington,. PA, and seven miles between Ft. Washington and Wyndmoor, PA
      will be placed in conduit.

      Albert
    • long-lines@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2002
        Albert,

        I was in Ft Washington last fall; found the building by
        street address. Unlike any AT&T office I ever saw. The
        document helps explain a number of peculiarities,
        including the total absence of any signs of the
        traditional direct burial cable. The number of manhole
        (cover)s are above average for the business park like
        setting at that location.

        Building now says Verizon; one car in large parking lot
        on the weekend I was there. Some day I'll post the
        pictures.

        Chad Perkins