Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Another AT&T tariff

  • Michael G. Cancellier
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 8, 2002
      Just so you know, most ANG bases are away from Air Force bases. The Reserves
      usually share a base with the active duty guys. Considering the Guard
      belongs to the states, they like to have their own facilities. They pay for
      them...

      Mike Cancellier

      on 2/8/02 21:21, David Lesher at wb8foz@... wrote:

      > Unnamed Administration sources reported that Chris Ness said:
      >>
      >> On February 8, 2002 06:50 pm, you wrote:
      >>> It is an Air National Guard unit. As to why they are needed -
      >>> ever tried landing a C-5 (the only aircraft type at Dover) on
      >>> a short, unimproved strip? C-130's are still right handy! :-)
      >>>
      >> No, not that. Why not fly them into Dover? Having two transports bases so
      >> close together is somewhat suprising.
      >
      > Dover's an AFB isn't it? You expect them to let weekend wackos
      > wander around THEIR ramp?
    • Chris Ness
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 9, 2002
        On February 8, 2002 11:49 pm, you wrote:
        > Just so you know, most ANG bases are away from Air Force bases. The
        > Reserves usually share a base with the active duty guys. Considering the
        > Guard belongs to the states, they like to have their own facilities. They
        > pay for them...

        Thanks, that was what I missed was the ANG in the first message. When I was a
        kid in the fifties is was an active AFB. As we drove down Rte 13 each summer
        my face would be pressed to the window to see it all. The busiest runway was
        a kid's delight -landings right across the road.
        Which brings us full circle to the tariff. Why would they spend the big bucks
        specified in the tariff on Site R to an NG base? Must be something else. Has
        to be a coincidence.

        --
        Chris Ness
        mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 9, 2002
          When I was a kid in the fifties I spent my Summers near Betterton, MD. When
          we would swim in the Chesapeake, we would live for the wakes from the ships
          that would go by - they gave us surf. They were coming from and going to the
          Delaware bay in the North through the ship canal. It seemed like there was at
          least one every 10 minutes of the day or night. A lot of them obviously were
          converted T-3s and Liberty ships. This was the days before supertankers and
          container ships. The Philadelphia and NYC riversides were
          shoulder-to-shoulder docks. So there were a lot of ships. But now the ships
          are huge and it doesn't take as many. My question is, do any ships still use
          the ship canal? Or is it just pleasure craft now? As I remember the bridges
          and electric lines were extremely high, but I think of the canal as fairly
          narrow.

          --
          Chris Ness
          mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
          http://vivid.nbank.net/~gloster the person not doing the work.
          Holt's Law
        • David Lesher
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 9, 2002
            Unnamed Administration sources reported that Chris Ness said:

            > Which brings us full circle to the tariff. Why would they spend the big bucks
            > specified in the tariff on Site R to an NG base? Must be something else. Has
            > to be a coincidence.

            The fact there's a tariff does not mean anyone still orders a
            circuit under same.

          • jks1215
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 9, 2002
              Dover has a LARGE AF Reserve unit in addition to active duty, so I
              would not use the term "weekend wacko" around there. :-) Many of
              the Reserve Component pilots have more flying hours than their active
              duty counterparts...

            • hooligan@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 9, 2002
                In a message dated 2/9/2002 9:22:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, wb8foz@...
                writes:

                > > Which brings us full circle to the tariff. Why would they spend the big
                > bucks
                > > specified in the tariff on Site R to an NG base? Must be something else.
                > Has
                > > to be a coincidence.
                >
                > The fact there's a tariff does not mean anyone still orders a
                > circuit under same.

                Nor should we automatically assume the circuit goes/went to the Air
                National Guard Base.

              • Mike Jacobs
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 9, 2002
                  Dover is where the Air Force emergency rescue team that was
                  originally at Olmstead AFB in Harrisburg, PA was relocated when
                  that base closed. That is the team that is supposed to helo into
                  DC after an attack and dig the president out of his bunker under the
                  White House if it survived, or determine that he is killed and provide
                  that input into the Central Locator System which keeps track of
                  who is in the Presidential line of succession at all times and
                  decides who is the next predisent.

                  I don't know if that activity is still in place or not, but a guy who was
                  stationed there in the 70's told me a story about how there was a
                  small contingent of SAC people at Dover, which was a MAC base.
                  Anyway, he said the SAC guys would act very condescending to
                  the MAC guys, but since my friend ran the motor pool, he would
                  just make sure that their vehicles took twice as long to repair as
                  anyone else's on base whenever they demanded immediate
                  service. Don't know how true this is, but it makes a good story,
                  and sort of says that you need to have everyone on whom your
                  mission depends be aware of how important it is. The SAC crew
                  probably wanted their equipment in top shape in case of an attack
                  and this guy just thought they were being snobby!

                  Of course, given the number of warheads that the Soviet Union had,
                  I can't believe that anyone would expect the survival of even Dover
                  in a full scale attack. At its peak, both the US and Soviet Union
                  had sufficient warheads that they could have each targeted each
                  other's territory using an even geographic spacing of aimpoints in a
                  grid and causing as much damage as the most carefully planned
                  attack scenario, with many left in reserve.

                  Mike Jacobs, N3MJ
                  Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
                  Penn State University
                  State College, PA