Help ID'ing Mystery Site, Bethesda, MD

  • taskforceleader
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2014
      From the Nike Site Facebook page: "When I was in 5th grade I went up and explored what we all called "The Nike Site". I'm not sure if it ever had Nikes, it closed about 1957 or 1958. It was located at Seven Locks Road near River Road in Bethesda, MD, which was at the time the far edge of the suburbs. I was fascinated by this very small installation.

      From what I saw exploring it, there could not have been many people there, it had a handful of small buildings and a basketball court. There was an open field and two very small guard houses on the perimeter, one was on Seven Locks Road, the other on a gravel road that probably led out to River Road. I've attached an aerial photo from 1957, but 1962 it was abandoned. I think this was called the "Cabin John Site".

      As a kid, I was fascinated with this place, and I would walk around wondering where the missile launchers had been. There were no underground silos, I would have found them. What do you all think? Could this have been a missile site with the missiles above ground, or would it have been an anti-aircraft artillery site? Were by chance any of you there or familiar with it?"

      The 1957 Historic Aerials photo looks to me like some sort of Wullenwebber.

      See: Historic Aerials http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?javascript=1&scale=2000&lon=-77.158932&lat=39.038007&year=2006

      http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?javascript=1&scale=2000&lon=-77.158932&lat=39.038007&year=2006

      Historic Aerials http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?javascript=1&scale=2000&lon=-77.158932&lat=39.038007&year=2006 Historic Aerials provides free online access to historical aerial photography, current aerial photos and topographic (topo) maps. You can view aerial photo...

      View on www.historicaerials.com http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?javascript=1&scale=2000&lon=-77.158932&lat=39.038007&year=2006
      Preview by Yahoo

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2014
        Likely this AAA site:

        Cabin John (1954 - 1957) 90mm guns, (1951 - 1957) 120mm guns

        from:

        www.northamericanforts.com/East/mdwest.html
      • John Scoggin
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2014
          From Ed Thelen's Nike site, here are all of the missile batteries in
          Maryland:

          http://ed-thelen.org/loc-m.html#Maryland

          john

          On 8/21/2014 8:07 PM, mfoster@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

          > From the Nike Site Facebook page: "When I was in 5th grade I went up
          > and explored what we all called "The Nike Site". I'm not sure if it
          > ever had Nikes, it closed about 1957 or 1958. It was located at Seven
          > Locks Road near River Road in Bethesda, MD, which was at the time the
          > far edge of the suburbs. I was fascinated by this very small installation.
          >
          > From what I saw exploring it, there could not have been many people
          > there, it had a handful of small buildings and a basketball court.
          > There was an open field and two very small guard houses on the
          > perimeter, one was on Seven Locks Road, the other on a gravel road
          > that probably led out to River Road. I've attached an aerial photo
          > from 1957, but 1962 it was abandoned. I think this was called the
          > "Cabin John Site".
          >
          > As a kid, I was fascinated with this place, and I would walk around
          > wondering where the missile launchers had been. There were no
          > underground silos, I would have found them. What do you all think?
          > Could this have been a missile site with the missiles above ground, or
          > would it have been an anti-aircraft artillery site? Were by chance any
          > of you there or familiar with it?"
          >

          > The 1957 Historic Aerials photo looks to me like some sort of
          > Wullenwebber.
          >

          > See: Historic Aerials
          > http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?javascript=1&scale=2000&lon=-77.158932&lat=39.038007&year=2006
          >

          > http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?javascript=1&scale=2000&lon=-77.158932&lat=39.038007&year=2006
          >

          > Historic Aerials
          > http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?javascript=1&scale=2000&lon=-77.158932&lat=39.038007&year=2006
          > Historic Aerials provides free online access to historical aerial
          > photography, current aerial photos and topographic (topo) maps. You
          > can view aerial photo...
          >

          > View on www.historicaerials.com
          > http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?javascript=1&scale=2000&lon=-77.158932&lat=39.038007&year=2006
          >
          > Preview by Yahoo

        • farrelmb
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 26, 2014
            Thanks for this. It answers what for me has been a very long-standing question. My family moved to a house a couple of blocks from there in 1957. I was 5 years old. As I got older, my friends and I would play there. We knew it as "the Army base." I never really knew what it actually was.I had previously seen the 1957 Historic Aerials view and also thought it may have been some sort of antenna array (RF bias?). Now that I know what I'm looking at, I can see the 4 guns.

            The North American Forts site lists it as Rosemary Hills. The site originally mentioned in this thread is listed as Cabin John. There is an extensive list of sites on Ed Thelen's site at:

            http://ed-thelen.org/gunsitesusa.html http://ed-thelen.org/gunsitesusa.html
            Scroll down to Washington, D.C.

            I also found a blog that discusses a site called Woodmore:

            http://aroundfourcorners.blogspot.com/2014/08/four-corners-role-in-cold-war.html?showComment=1408838140478 http://aroundfourcorners.blogspot.com/2014/08/four-corners-role-in-cold-war.html?showComment=1408838140478

            A comment toward the bottom of the page mentions Rosemary Hills and some others. I looked around but was unable to find Bethesda.

            Coordinates for a few that I found:

            Cabin John: 38.997722, -77.163449

            Rosemary Hills: 38.998845, -77.049717

            Woodmore: 39.033491, -77.022443