Nuke Transport Comms

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 17, 2014
      Snippet from March 1983 Monitoring Times:

      At this time DOE used HF SSB for their SST(safe secure trailer) long haul comms,with these control points:

      KRF 263 Albuquerque NM HQ
      KRF 264 Iona Butte ID
      KRF 265 Belton MO
      KRF 266 Cheltenham MD
      KRF 267 Savannah River SC

      It was expected this HF net would soon be phased out, replaced with a low band(30-50Mhz) meteor burst packet system.

      I'd assume the Cheltenham location was on the Navy radio site.

      Another reference:

      http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/nuclear-truckers
    • Michael Scheel
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 17, 2014
        When I worked at a Nuclear Power Station we would sent shipments of low
        haz. waste out via trucking by a company located in I think Joplin Mo. One
        the road crew showed me a control panel in the truck with buttons labeled
        ARRIVE DEPART and EMERGENCY. They claimed it was a satellite system but I
        remembered only seeing a long whip a little longer than my CB whip.
        =============================
        Michael W. Scheel
        Davenport, Iowa

        K0QCS - KCQ0QCS
        ARRL - www.arrl.org
        Davenport (IA) ARC
        Muscatine (IA) ARC
        RCMA IA-011
        Quad-Cities Scale Modelling Society - www.qcsms.org
        DAGOBAH
        =============================
        On Aug 17, 2014 2:06 PM, "ozob99@... [coldwarcomms]" <
        coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Snippet from March 1983 Monitoring Times:
        >
        > At this time DOE used HF SSB for their SST(safe secure trailer) long haul
        > comms,with these control points:
        >
        > KRF 263 Albuquerque NM HQ
        > KRF 264 Iona Butte ID
        > KRF 265 Belton MO
        > KRF 266 Cheltenham MD
        > KRF 267 Savannah River SC
        >
        > It was expected this HF net would soon be phased out, replaced with a low
        > band(30-50Mhz) meteor burst packet system.
        >
        > I'd assume the Cheltenham location was on the Navy radio site.
        >
        > Another reference:
        >
        > http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/nuclear-truckers

      • John Scoggin
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 17, 2014
          More than likely that was a truck from Tri-State Motor Freight in
          Joplin. They had a very good safety record as I recall.

          john

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 17, 2014
            I looked at the url and the map below is missing a least a couple of sites
            and one is mislabeled in the Midwest.

            =============================

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 17, 2014
              Now that you mention the name that was it. I remember trying to look them
              up using my FCC microfiche. The only way to have an accurate source of
              radio licenses back then.

              A driver claimed the dents on the front of the cab were from people
              shooting at them. Something just didn't look right with them though.

              Funny how the mind works something. Something I have not thought about come
              back and triggers other memories.

              =============================

              On Aug 17, 2014 7:05 PM, "John Scoggin aat3bf@... [coldwarcomms]" <
              coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              > More than likely that was a truck from Tri-State Motor Freight in
              > Joplin. They had a very good safety record as I recall.
              >
              > john
              >
              > On 8/17/2014 8:01 PM, Michael Scheel mws1972@... [coldwarcomms]
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > When I worked at a Nuclear Power Station we would sent shipments of low
              > > haz. waste out via trucking by a company located in I think Joplin Mo.
              > One
              > > the road crew showed me a control panel in the truck with buttons labeled
              > > ARRIVE DEPART and EMERGENCY. They claimed it was a satellite system but I
              > > remembered only seeing a long whip a little longer than my CB whip.
              > > =============================
              > > Michael W. Scheel
              > > Davenport, Iowa
              > >
              > > K0QCS - KCQ0QCS
              > > ARRL - www.arrl.org
              > > Davenport (IA) ARC
              > > Muscatine (IA) ARC
              > > RCMA IA-011
              > > Quad-Cities Scale Modelling Society - www.qcsms.org
              > > DAGOBAH
              > > =============================
              > > On Aug 17, 2014 2:06 PM, "ozob99@... [coldwarcomms]" <
              > > coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > >

              > > > Snippet from March 1983 Monitoring Times:
              > > >
              > > > At this time DOE used HF SSB for their SST(safe secure trailer) long
              > > haul
              > > > comms,with these control points:
              > > >
              > > > KRF 263 Albuquerque NM HQ
              > > > KRF 264 Iona Butte ID
              > > > KRF 265 Belton MO
              > > > KRF 266 Cheltenham MD
              > > > KRF 267 Savannah River SC
              > > >
              > > > It was expected this HF net would soon be phased out, replaced with
              > > a low
              > > > band(30-50Mhz) meteor burst packet system.
              > > >
              > > > I'd assume the Cheltenham location was on the Navy radio site.
              > > >
              > > > Another reference:
              > > >
              > > > http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/nuclear-truckers

            • Bob Brown - WØNQX
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 17, 2014
                This was also used:

                Does anyone know the purpose of the five large towers located about 3 miles
                south of Belton on Mullen Road (193rd and S. Mullen Rd)? They are 200-300
                feet tall with 'hats' on them, and they are arranged in an asymmetrical
                pentagon shape. Here's a link to a Google map of the site:

                <http://goo.gl/maps/DDsNn>

                The barbed wire fence says that the property belongs to the Department of
                Energy. I've never seen anyone there, but the site is well maintained and
                modern. There are two small buildings on the property.

                I've done a fair bit of searching on Google and the DOE web sites, and have
                found nothing. The FCC database just tells me that they are registered to
                the DOE.

                The best answer so far: -------------------------------------------------

                Shhhhhh, if we told you we would have to kill you!

                I know, but the use escapes me now.... they have been there since the late
                60's

                We (with the SSARC) held field day just north of there in the mid to late
                70's and the DOE guys that serviced the place always came with a small
                security contingent armed with M-16s. Pretty scary Government type
                operation - DOE plain white trucks and guns....and black boxes....

                Had to do with monitoring Nuke stuff and travels etc?.kinda like radar for
                nuke transports or something to that effect.. at least that is what I
                recall.

                <http://binged.it/1396NZD>

                From the picture it looks like they have downsized it a bit; there were 5 or
                6 shacks there at one time

                More............
                There was a lot of speculation about the purpose of the facility just south
                of Belton on Mullen Road. I was contacted off list by a couple of people
                who were present at a meeting many moons ago.

                A person involved with the original construction of this site spoke about
                it with the local ham club.

                The facility is part of the tracking network used by the Department of
                Energy to track shipments of nuclear materials around the country. Current
                documentation from the DOE indicates that satellite tracking and
                communication is used, but I suspect this facility is retained as a back
                up.

                These towers pre-date GPS technology.

                I personally encountered one of the DOE's rigs that transport nuclear
                material while working at Argonne National Lab in Illinois.

                I noticed large loop antennas mounted on the roof of both the tractor and
                trailer.
                It seems reasonable that these large loops are used for the LF or MF
                frequencies that the Mullen Road facility is equipped for.

                One person mentioned that you could hear packet-like QRM on broadcast band
                radios near this facility.

                --
                Bob Brown, W0NQX
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

                --

                On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Michael Scheel mws1972@...

              • John Scoggin
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 17, 2014
                  Sounds like the old HD geotracking system for the trucks carrying
                  strategic nuclear material. They were DOE employees, drivers and
                  security chase vehicles. No-nonsense folks, a lot of former military
                  combat arms folks. They all had Q clearances.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 17, 2014
                    Second hand info i have the loops were for HF radio. If someone was
                    listening to am radio near a HF radio you could hear a data burst. A
                    friend once drove past a state trooper using a low band mobile radio and
                    heard distorted audio on his own car radio.

                    On Aug 17, 2014 7:26 PM, "Bob Brown - WØNQX bbrown@... [coldwarcomms]"