Stunt Boxes Question

  • Michael Ravnitzky
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10 2:37 AM
      Does anyone know if many Stunt Boxes got used in the field?

      Michael Ravnitzky
      mikerav@...
    • jhaynesatalumni
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10 5:50 AM
        Well certainly every Model 28 and Model 35 printer has one, if only to do the basic
        stunts like CR and LF and LTRS and FIGS. Maybe you're asking how many machines
        in the field used more elaborate stunt boxes. Practically all the FAA machines had
        selective calling in the stunt boxes because they operated a lot of machines on an
        area circuit and wanted each to copy only the traffic addressed to it. And they
        were used in some smaller corporate systems the same way. Also used for things
        like pipeline control and reporting.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10 6:56 AM
          >>>Practically all the FAA machines had
          >>>selective calling in the stunt boxes because they operated a lot of machines on an
          >>>area circuit and wanted each to copy only the traffic addressed to it.

          Same for the Navy in the Norfolk area. Service orders specified non-typing functions for printers at various locations on a circuit; this was set up in the machine at the WeCo
          distributing house(Arlington Va in this case)before shipping out to the customer location.
        • Neill, William J.
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10 8:12 AM
            Almost 45 yrs ago, I worked as a telegrapher for a small Midwestern rail carrier
            and the railroad had Model 28 ASRs and KSRs throughout the system and stunt
            boxes were employed for the purpose of selective calling as well as for some
            other features which I no longer remember.

            Bill Neill
            Conroe, Texas

            > Does anyone know if many Stunt Boxes got used in the
            > field?
            >
            > Michael Ravnitzky
            > mikerav@...

            > Posted by: Michael Ravnitzky <mikerav@...>