Western Electric and Biotoxins?

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3 1:09 PM
      Snippet from:

      http://rbellew.wordpress.com/2013/07/20/breakup-of-att/

      (in part 1)

      "The world’s largest stockpile of binary biotoxins was kept just outside Boulder Colorado by the Western Electric company. While the United States government was prohibited by treaty from developing, producing, and stockpiling such chemical warfare agents, private corporations such as the Bell System were not covered by those treaties. If Western Electric deemed it necessary to produce such things to protect company assets then that was their own business."

      This is a claim I've not heard before; anyone have anything definitive on it?
    • John Scoggin
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3 2:15 PM
        The Chemical Weapons Convention wasn't signed until 1993, so I am not
        too certain that he knows what he is talking about. Further, the
        biotoxins that I recall were not binary agents; we did have binary
        CHEMICAL weapons.

        john

        On 8/3/2014 4:09 PM, ozob99@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

        > Snippet from:
        >
        > http://rbellew.wordpress.com/2013/07/20/breakup-of-att/
        >
        > (in part 1)
        >
        > "The world’s largest stockpile of binary biotoxins was kept just
        > outside Boulder Colorado by the Western Electric company. While the
        > United States government was prohibited by treaty from developing,
        > producing, and stockpiling such chemical warfare agents, private
        > corporations such as the Bell System were not covered by those
        > treaties. If Western Electric deemed it necessary to produce such
        > things to protect company assets then that was their own business."
        >
        > This is a claim I've not heard before; anyone have anything definitive
        > on it?

      • John Scoggin
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3 3:27 PM
          I found a reference to backup my admittedly shaky memory:

          http://armybases.org/pueblo-chemical-depot-co-colorado/

          There was some amazingly scary stuff in Colorado those days -- I recall
          two serious accidents in the Rocky Flats plutonium processing plant near
          Denver.

          john