Soviet Microwave Bugging

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2014
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2014
        "Levels of radiation.measured jointly with Soviet technicians" -
        interesting, I didn't know we'd asked them for help. I guess this was
        before we figured out what that microwave energy was being used for!

        Albert

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2014
          On 7/11/14 9:14 AM, 'Albert LaFrance' albert.lafrance@...
          [coldwarcomms] wrote:

          > "Levels of radiation.measured jointly with Soviet technicians" -
          > interesting, I didn't know we'd asked them for help. I guess this was
          > before we figured out what that microwave energy was being used for!

          Bad wording by the drafter of the cable.

          We were well aware what the function was. It was flooding to excite Little
          Gem, aka the Great Seal in Spaso house. [A sure clue any article you are
          reading is BS is if it places the seal inside the Embassy; rather it was in
          the Ambassador's Residence.]

          Flooding was used to power passive devices such as Little Gem. There
          were/are various countermeasures employed over the decades since.

          I find <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_(listening_device)>
          <http://www.spybusters.com/Great_Seal_Bug.html> on the topic.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2014
            I said:

            > It was flooding to excite Little Gem, aka the Great Seal in Spaso
            > house.

            I should have said "and similar systems..." as Little Gem was in the
            1950's, but the cable was written in the 1970's. I've heard talk flooding
            was observed on & off for decades.

            We can speculate if the opposition had other targets planted in the
            compound, or were merely trying to take advantage of happenstance.

            Many ordinary devices react in unintended ways when subject to strong RF
            fields. For example, TVI aka Television Interference was a problem for many
            hams in the 1950's-80's. The TV reacted to RF it should have ignored, as it
            was the wrong frequency.

            While the result there was an angry Honeymooner's viewer, in other cases
            some of the device's reactions may compromise the area around it.

            (Speaking of flooding: There was also a 1960'ish story about a well-known
            ham who ran the legal power limit, 1KW AM, on 6 meters/50 Mhz. The trouble
            was, there was a Nike site nearby, and if his Yagi was pointed their way
            when he talked, lights flashed and alarms went off. They were not happy.)
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 11, 2014
              The man behind the technology was Leon Theremin, inventor of the Theremin, one of the first electronic music devices(think the old Green Hornet theme).

              The bug was aka "The Thing".