NAVY TWX?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2014
      From a 1947 Truman travel log:

      "Codes and publications necessary to handle highly classified communications were taken along but it was not necessary to employ them. The Submarine Base established direct RATT (radio teletype) service between Key West and the Navy Department but it was not necessary to use this system either. All telegrams sent while at Key West were transmitted over the Navy TWX system."

      The writer may have assumed the navy record comms system of the day was called TWX; seems unlikely the commercial TWX network would have been a primary comms mode for presidential messages?

    • Brooks Rowlett
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2014
        The term TWX would appear to date back all the way to 1931, and it appears
        to be used relatively frequently for the NTX system.

        Here is a diagram of the ca 1948 USN teletype system:
        http://www.virhistory.com/navy/commsta/circuit/usn_network1948.jpg

        here is a history of the Navy Teletype Exchange NTX system:
        http://www.virhistory.com/navy/manuals/ntx/NTX-story.pdf

        At a higher level on the site, for manuals see:
        http://www.virhistory.com/navy/manuals.htm

        Also check this, Navy Communications Manual for reference to Navy use of
        Commercial TWX lines (p.11)
        http://www.virhistory.com/navy/shore-10891/shore-1-5.PDF

        See also: http://www.virhistory.com/navy/manuals/ntx/ntx-user-4503.pdf

        Brooks Rowlett

        On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM, ozob99@... [coldwarcomms] <
        coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > From a 1947 Truman travel log:
        >

        > "Codes and publications necessary to handle highly classified
        > communications were taken along but it was not necessary to employ them.
        > The Submarine Base established direct RATT (radio teletype) service between
        > Key West and the Navy Department but it was not necessary to use this
        > system either. All telegrams sent while at Key West were transmitted over
        > the Navy TWX system."
        >

        > The writer may have assumed the navy record comms system of the day was
        > called TWX; seems unlikely the commercial TWX network would have been a
        > primary comms mode for presidential messages?

        > ------------------------------------
        > Posted by: ozob99@...
        > ------------------------------------
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Yahoo Groups Links

      • Nick England
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2014
          Probably handled direct from a Navy terminal, but TWX fed into NTX.
          ref:
          Guide for Individual Users of U.S. Navy Teletypewriter Exchange System NTX
          OPNAV 20-7 (2) 1945
          "This Guide contains the necessary instructions for individual users who
          transmit their messages to an NTX relay office via TWX or Navy-leased and
          Navy-owned teletypewriter channels."
          download 17 MB pdf
          http://www.navy-radio.com/manuals/ntx/ntx-user-4503.pdf

          Cheers,
          Nick
          www.navy-radio.com

          On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM, ozob99@... [coldwarcomms] <
          coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > From a 1947 Truman travel log:
          >
          > "Codes and publications necessary to handle highly classified
          communications were taken along but it was not necessary to employ them.
          The Submarine Base established direct RATT (radio teletype) service between
          Key West and the Navy Department but it was not necessary to use this
          system either. All telegrams sent while at Key West were transmitted over
          the Navy TWX system."

          > The writer may have assumed the navy record comms system of the day was
          called TWX; seems unlikely the commercial TWX network would have been a
          primary comms mode for presidential messages?

        • jhaynesatalumni
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2014
            I recall in the Air Force some of the old timers called a message a "twix" (TWX)
            even though it was actually transmitted by an AF private wire system and not
            by TWX.

          • Nick England
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2014
              Please Note -
              Instead of www.virhistory.com/navy/ please use www.navy-radio.com/
              I originally created all the navy radio pages within my existing virhistory
              domain and then added the navy-radio.com domain name pointing to it.
              Google, etc. end up with both domain prefixes.

              But my intention is to spin navy-radio.com off as a completely separate
              site some day. When that happens, www.virhistory.com/navy/ will no longer
              get you there.

              I have applied corrections below
              cheers,
              Nick
              Nick England K4NYW
              www.navy-radio.com

              On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Brooks Rowlett brooks.rowlett@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10, 2014
                Thanks for link updates!

                On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Nick England navy.radio@...

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 11, 2014
                  Thanks for the update guys; so the TWX in the log may have been a TWX to a Navy Comm Center & then on to destination, or maybe the writer typed TWX instead of NTX.

                  More on Truman comms:

                  http://www.trumanlibrary.org/photographs/search.php?access=selectbycategory&categoryid=495&resultsorder=DateCreation&page=2

                  www.trumanlibrary.org/photographs/view.php?id=25117