Looking for movie with this scene in it

  • ocsrc
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 9, 2014
      Hello Group,

      There was a movie that I heard about that has a scene where the police are driving into a closed tunnel in lower manhattan, I think, and as they drive in the tunnel goes from being dry to having water in it.

      They get to a point where there is a giant fan or blade that is pushing the water down.

      There is a reference to a "chimney" and this underwater fan has a purpose, but I don't know what it is.

      In the movie, I think terrorists were trying to blow up lower manhattan.

      I am not sure how recent this film is.

      I searched the web and only came up with "Daylight", which I saw, and that is not the same as this.

      They said that if they blew up this "chimney", it would colapse all of lower manhattan.

      Wondering how much truth there is to this, and really want to see this movie. Sounds very interesting.

      Thanks

      Bill
      KC2OVX

    • blitz716
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 9, 2014
        Sounds familiar to me as well, I think the fans are for ventilation of
        the tunnels, however I cant pinpoint the movie either. I expect there's
        plenty "creative license" since its a movie. (Was it a "Die Hard" flick?) I
        m drawing a blank...sri

        radical.bill@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:
        > Hello Group,
        >
        > There was a movie that I heard about that has a scene where the police are driving into a closed tunnel in lower manhattan, I think, and as they drive in the tunnel goes from being dry to having water in it.
        >
        > They get to a point where there is a giant fan or blade that is pushing the water down.
        >
        > There is a reference to a "chimney" and this underwater fan has a purpose, but I don't know what it is.
        >
        > In the movie, I think terrorists were trying to blow up lower manhattan.
        >
        > I am not sure how recent this film is.
        >
        > I searched the web and only came up with "Daylight", which I saw, and that is not the same as this.
        >
        > They said that if they blew up this "chimney", it would colapse all of lower manhattan.
        >
        > Wondering how much truth there is to this, and really want to see this movie. Sounds very interesting.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bill
        > KC2OVX

        > ------------------------------------
        > Posted by: radical.bill@...
        > ------------------------------------
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Yahoo Groups Links

      • ocsrc
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 9, 2014
          Not a Die Hard Movie, but something along that line. I just checked the plots of the Die Hard films and non match.

          The "chimney" was used to get air into the tunnel and the fan that is in the water is forcing the water down, to keep the tunnel from filling or for some other reason.

          I think the term induction fan was used, but the chimney had two words and it is a real chimney, I think, in the skyline.

          Hope this helps.

          Bill
          KC2OVX

        • blitz716
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 9, 2014
            Roger that Bill, will keep looking and asking.

            radical.bill@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:
            > Not a Die Hard Movie, but something along that line. I just checked the plots of the Die Hard films and non match.
            >
            > The "chimney" was used to get air into the tunnel and the fan that is in the water is forcing the water down, to keep the tunnel from filling or for some other reason.
            >
            > I think the term induction fan was used, but the chimney had two words and it is a real chimney, I think, in the skyline.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Bill
            > KC2OVX

            > ------------------------------------
            > Posted by: radical.bill@...
            > ------------------------------------
            >

            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > Yahoo Groups Links

          • Box SixteenHundred
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 9, 2014
              Is it the one where the group/gang robs an amoured car by blowing up
              the street from below in the tunnel(s).

              The amoured car falls into the tunnel and they grab the loot make their escape ?

              (You'll probably say yes and ask me for the name... I'm just hoping I remember
              it before that message arrives... lol).

              73 - Bill KA8VIT

              > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
              > From: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
              > Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 13:55:18 -0700
              > Subject: [coldwarcomms] Looking for movie with this scene in it
              >

              > Hello Group,
              >
              > There was a movie that I heard about that has a scene where the police are driving into a closed tunnel in lower manhattan, I think, and as they drive in the tunnel goes from being dry to having water in it.
              >
              > They get to a point where there is a giant fan or blade that is pushing the water down.
              >
              > There is a reference to a "chimney" and this underwater fan has a purpose, but I don't know what it is.
              >
              > In the movie, I think terrorists were trying to blow up lower manhattan.
              >
              > I am not sure how recent this film is.
              >
              > I searched the web and only came up with "Daylight", which I saw, and that is not the same as this.
              >
              > They said that if they blew up this "chimney", it would colapse all of lower manhattan.
              >
              > Wondering how much truth there is to this, and really want to see this movie. Sounds very interesting.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Bill
              > KC2OVX

            • ocsrc
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 9, 2014
                I have seen that one, but can't remember the name of that film.

                This one that I am looking for has the scene I described at the end of the film.

                Has to be a newer film.

                Wish I knew the name of the tunnel they went down, but it used to be a tunnel for traffic, now has water from the river flooding into it.

                Definately NYC, and almost positive it is lower manhattan.

                how many old tunnels that took street traffic, that still exist can there be ?

                Hopefully someone from NYC knows the tunnel and can give us a name to search for.

                Thanks

                Bill
                KC2OVX

              • el_bizarro2000
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 9, 2014
                  Sounds like The Italian Job by that Description..

                • ocsrc
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 9, 2014
                    No, that's not it either. This was a terrorist movie, I am pretty sure. It would have been last year or early this year.

                    I was incorrect about the fan.

                    The fan is at the base of the chimney, at ground level, but overhead as you are looking up from in the tunnel.

                    Very large fan, bigger than a car.

                    It forces air in. Draws it down the chimney and that in turn creates pressure ? or just a downward draft that causes a whirlpool and drives the water down a pipe, large pipe, same size as the fan.

                    This has to be water leaking in from the river or ocean and I am not sure why they would need this in lower manhattan.

                    But in the movie, there is a femal officer that says that if they blow up that chimney, all of lower manhattan would collapse into the tunnels below that the water is running through.

                    This is driving me nuts. Something this big, a chimney, that can be seen in the skyline, that has to be something people would notice.

                    We had a few here in Upstate NY, on factories, but they are long gone.

                    There is one, still in Troy, and you can see it from 5 miles away.

                    I am going to have to spend some time looking at Google Earth and see if I can find the chimney.

                    I am betting someone has geo tagged it on there.

                    I found all sorts of other neat stuff trying to find this chimney.

                    I found a 3 story brownstone that is actually a vent for the subway lines 4 and 5.

                    Anyone know of a group on Yahoo for Urban explorers ? I am betting they would know this chimney and the tunnel leading to it.

                    Thanks

                    Bill
                    KC2OVX

                  • Mike Cowen
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 9, 2014
                      The film is
                      <http://www.redbox.com/movies/jack-ryan-shadow-recruit>Jack
                      Ryan: Shadow Recruit. It's in current rotation
                      at Redbox. The location is billed as some sort
                      of convection chimney as part of a massive,
                      underground "central plant" building cooling system.

                      My take (with some experience in film
                      production): The tunnel entrance, and possibly
                      the dry portion of the tunnel are real. The rest
                      is very likely a fictitious plot device filmed in
                      a studio. Remember: it's supposed to look like
                      what they -tell- you it is, not necessarily what
                      it -really- is. Dynamic water scenes are
                      particularly hazardous, so a set is often
                      constructed to allow the "perfect" look, while
                      incorporating many essential safety features not
                      practical "in the wild" (often including hidden
                      rescue divers with full comms, emergency air, and
                      a <10 second response time). Drowning your
                      talent is considered very bad form. ;-)

                      Mike

                      At 01:55 PM 7/9/2014, you wrote:

                      >Hello Group,
                      >
                      >There was a movie that I heard about that has a
                      >scene where the police are driving into a closed
                      >tunnel in lower manhattan, I think, and as they
                      >drive in the tunnel goes from being dry to having water in it.
                      >
                      >They get to a point where there is a giant fan
                      >or blade that is pushing the water down.
                      >
                      >There is a reference to a "chimney" and this
                      >underwater fan has a purpose, but I don't know what it is.
                      >
                      >In the movie, I think terrorists were trying to blow up lower manhattan.
                      >
                      >I am not sure how recent this film is.
                      >
                      >I searched the web and only came up with
                      >"Daylight", which I saw, and that is not the same as this.
                      >
                      >They said that if they blew up this "chimney",
                      >it would colapse all of lower manhattan.
                      >
                      >Wondering how much truth there is to this, and
                      >really want to see this movie. Sounds very interesting.
                      >
                      >Thanks
                      >
                      >Bill
                      >KC2OVX

                      and selfless acts of beauty.
                      mcowen@... -Anonymous

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 10, 2014
                        On 7/10/14 2:12 AM, Mike Cowen weldedrail@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

                        > Drowning your talent is considered very bad form. ;-)

                        A friend who does sound for various sitcoms and also was sound engineer w/
                        the Eagles mentioned a bigger issue. You do not want to electrocute the
                        talent[1] either; when the megawatts of underwater lighting shorts.

                        There's one company that makes the special GFI's the underwater lighting
                        folks use; both single and three-phase.

                        [1] Or their doubles -- they ain't worth as much but OSHA will get you just
                        the same.
                      • ocsrc
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 10, 2014
                          Mike, Thank you for finding the movie for me. I watched it. Really good, but I looked for the places in the movie, and they don't exist.

                          It looks really real in the film, but they must have CGI'd the whole thing.

                          As Ryan goes into the tunnel, you see, in concrete above the tunnel,

                          Wall Street Tunnel
                          1901

                          I looked on Google Earth and I searched the web.

                          There is no Wall St. tunnel.

                          The entrance to this tunnel was supposed to be off Clark St, and there is no Clark St. in Lower Manhattan.

                          So, the whole thing was made up.

                          Very disappointing.

                          Make me wonder what tunnel they used in the shot. Had to be a real tunnel, just CGI on the name and date.

                          It was called the Wall Street Vent Facility on the map.

                          It would be nice if they put the actual locations used in the credits, or the extras.

                          It looked really real for the scene with the big fan.

                          I don't think the actors were there, I think it was on a sound stage with a blue screen, but that place looks to be real and probally does exist somewhere under NYC.

                          It would be interesting to find out.

                          Thanks again

                          Bill
                          KC2OVX

                        • packy41@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 10, 2014
                            Imdb.com may help

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            > On Jul 10, 2014, at 10:10 PM, "radical.bill@... [coldwarcomms]" <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                            >
                            > Mike, Thank you for finding the movie for me. I watched it. Really good, but I looked for the places in the movie, and they don't exist.
                            >
                            > It looks really real in the film, but they must have CGI'd the whole thing.
                            >
                            > As Ryan goes into the tunnel, you see, in concrete above the tunnel,
                            >
                            > Wall Street Tunnel
                            > 1901
                            >
                            > I looked on Google Earth and I searched the web.
                            >
                            > There is no Wall St. tunnel.
                            >
                            > The entrance to this tunnel was supposed to be off Clark St, and there is no Clark St. in Lower Manhattan.
                            >
                            > So, the whole thing was made up.
                            >
                            > Very disappointing.
                            >
                            > Make me wonder what tunnel they used in the shot. Had to be a real tunnel, just CGI on the name and date.
                            >
                            > It was called the Wall Street Vent Facility on the map.
                            >
                            > It would be nice if they put the actual locations used in the credits, or the extras.
                            >
                            > It looked really real for the scene with the big fan.
                            >
                            > I don't think the actors were there, I think it was on a sound stage with a blue screen, but that place looks to be real and probally does exist somewhere under NYC.
                            >
                            > It would be interesting to find out.
                            >
                            > Thanks again
                            >
                            > Bill
                            > KC2OVX

                            > ------------------------------------
                            > Posted by: radical.bill@...
                            > ------------------------------------
                            >

                            > ------------------------------------
                            >
                            > Yahoo Groups Links

                          • Craig Scott
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 11, 2014
                              Try:  imdb.com  tells all about the location, actors, etc.
                              Dred

                              On Friday, July 11, 2014 1:21 AM, "'packy41@...' packy41@... [coldwarcomms]" <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              Imdb.com may help

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              > On Jul 10, 2014, at 10:10 PM, "radical.bill@... [coldwarcomms]" <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                              >
                              > Mike,  Thank you for finding the movie for me.  I watched it.  Really good, but I looked for the places in the movie, and they don't exist.
                              >
                              > It looks really real in the film, but they must have CGI'd the whole thing.
                              >
                              > As Ryan goes into the tunnel, you see, in concrete above the tunnel,
                              >
                              > Wall Street Tunnel
                              > 1901
                              >
                              > I looked on Google Earth and I searched the web.
                              >
                              > There is no Wall St. tunnel.
                              >
                              > The entrance to this tunnel was supposed to be off Clark St, and there is no Clark St. in Lower Manhattan.
                              >
                              > So, the whole thing was made up.
                              >
                              > Very disappointing.
                              >
                              > Make me wonder what tunnel they used in the shot.  Had to be a real tunnel, just CGI on the name and date.
                              >
                              > It was called the Wall Street Vent Facility on the map.
                              >
                              > It would be nice if they put the actual locations used in the credits, or the extras.
                              >
                              > It looked really real for the scene with the big fan.
                              >
                              > I don't think the actors were there, I think it was on a sound stage with a blue screen, but that place looks to be real and probally does exist somewhere under NYC.
                              >
                              > It would be interesting to find out.
                              >
                              > Thanks again
                              >
                              > Bill
                              > KC2OVX

                              > ------------------------------------
                              > Posted by: radical.bill@...
                              > ------------------------------------
                              >

                              > ------------------------------------
                              >
                              > Yahoo Groups Links

                              ------------------------------------
                              Posted by: "packy41@..." <packy41@...>

                              ------------------------------------

                            • Mike Cowen
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 11, 2014
                                In this case IMDB was useless for detail. Now
                                I've had to do some real sleuthing...

                                The ‘Manhattan’ tunnel to which Ryan tracks the
                                real terrorist plot, is the entrance to the disused
                                Rendel Street branch of the Queensway Tunnel linking Birkenhead to Liverpool.

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensway_Tunnel

                                Here's your photo:
                                http://www.cbrd.co.uk/indepth/queenswaytunnel/birkenhead/34.shtml

                                So, yes, a real tunnel, but technically faked.

                                No BSPs were found or harmed during this search for movie trivia...

                                Mike

                                At 04:42 AM 7/11/2014, you wrote:

                                >Try: imdb.com tells all about the location, actors, etc.
                                >Dred
                                >
                                >On Friday, July 11, 2014 1:21 AM,
                                >"'packy41@...' packy41@...
                                >[coldwarcomms]" <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                >

                                >Imdb.com may help
                                >
                                >Sent from my iPhone
                                >
                                > > On Jul 10, 2014, at 10:10 PM,
                                > "radical.bill@... [coldwarcomms]" <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Mike, Thank you for finding the movie for
                                > me. I watched it. Really good, but I looked
                                > for the places in the movie, and they don't exist.
                                > >
                                > > It looks really real in the film, but they must have CGI'd the whole thing.
                                > >
                                > > As Ryan goes into the tunnel, you see, in concrete above the tunnel,
                                > >
                                > > Wall Street Tunnel
                                > > 1901
                                > >
                                > > I looked on Google Earth and I searched the web.
                                > >
                                > > There is no Wall St. tunnel.
                                > >
                                > > The entrance to this tunnel was supposed to
                                > be off Clark St, and there is no Clark St. in Lower Manhattan.
                                > >
                                > > So, the whole thing was made up.
                                > >
                                > > Very disappointing.
                                > >
                                > > Make me wonder what tunnel they used in the
                                > shot. Had to be a real tunnel, just CGI on the name and date.
                                > >
                                > > It was called the Wall Street Vent Facility on the map.
                                > >
                                > > It would be nice if they put the actual
                                > locations used in the credits, or the extras.
                                > >
                                > > It looked really real for the scene with the big fan.
                                > >
                                > > I don't think the actors were there, I think
                                > it was on a sound stage with a blue screen, but
                                > that place looks to be real and probally does exist somewhere under NYC.
                                > >
                                > > It would be interesting to find out.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks again
                                > >
                                > > Bill
                                > > KC2OVX

                                > > Posted by: radical.bill@...

                                > > Yahoo Groups Links
                                > >

                                >------------------------------------
                                >Posted by: "packy41@..." <packy41@...>

                              • n2msqrp
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 11, 2014
                                  I haven't seen the movie but maybe that scene was inspired by this pneumatic subway constructed in the late 19th century:

                                  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_Pneumatic_Transit>

                                  Mike N2MS

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 11, 2014
                                    Thanks again.

                                    The movie was probably shot in Europe and they CGI'd the background to make it look like NYC.

                                    They did that for the Angelina film that was shot here in Albany NY, but in the movie it looks like DC, I think, because of the CGI.

                                    Now if I can find where the water scene was taken from.

                                    That looked like a real place as well.

                                    Bill
                                    KC2OVX

                                  • Craig Scott

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 11, 2014
                                        Lots of tunnel scenes are shot on sets in Mexico. These sets have usually custom tunnels made to order. The lack of OSHA in these places probably makes it cheaper to go there and have a tunnel built custom. Google "BAJA STUDIOS" if you want to know about the art of the possible.

                                        Much of what you see is shot overseas and CGIed.

                                        Steve

                                      • ocsrc
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 11, 2014
                                          Albany NY has one of the most distinctive skylines, because of the EGG and the state office buildings.

                                          I don't know why no one has taken advantage of this for a movie.

                                          The did SALT here because of the tripple overpass / underpass on 787

                                          But, there are a lot of really cool shots from different places that most people just take for granted.

                                          I used to love coming into Albany from exit 23 and seeing the EGG and knowing I was home.

                                          Thanks for the info on the movie

                                          Bill

                                        • n2msqrp
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 12, 2014
                                            They will film in a state if they get a significant tax break.

                                            Louisiana and Michagin offer these breaks os these are popular filming locations today.

                                            Does NY State offer tax breaks I believe NY City does.

                                            Mike N2MS

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 12, 2014
                                              Akron, Ohio gets movie producers in, all the time. Why? We have a long, useless, easy to close,4 to 6 lane expressway with no traffic on it. On one side is a fuzzy suburban background and on the other side is a city skyline with no modern buildings that could just as easily be part of Chicago, New York, etc. The tax break is easy and the local unions are supportive. The mayor would probably close the Interbelt expressway and use the land for redevelopment, however action movie folks love to use it.

                                              Cleveland to the North has been getting about two action movies per year. Large sections of Spiderman were filmed there. Costs are low and the city tolerates major traffic disruptions well. Well, the powers that be do, the rest of us gripe about getting to work late. Cleveland has lots of 1930s Stalinesque architecture, it can double for Moscow or parts of NY. Large parts of the city with tenement and rental housing are sparsely populated, so if you need a car chase etc. , its easy.

                                              One other thing to keep in mind, NYC just dug a huge new water tunnel, that has taken more then a decade to complete. Another large diameter tunnel went into Niagara Falls. I'm guessing parts of these are in various movies, However I'm sure one of the rules for use of Infrastructure in cinematography is not to disclose where, when, and how it was accessed.

                                              Steve