Pentagon MARS Station

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2014
      Dates from the 1950's:

      www.k4af.org/MARS/Pentagon%20MARS%20Station%20description.pdf http://www.k4af.org/MARS/Pentagon%20MARS%20Station%20description.pdf

      http://marsradiowatch.com/ http://marsradiowatch.com/

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VklFTdPYO2I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VklFTdPYO2I

      BTW the "A" in MARS is described in the literature as auxiliary, and affiliate; which is it?

    • wftroskey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2014
        It's Military Affiliate Radio System. Bill

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2014
          That's the way I recall it from years ago, but a lot of doc's online define as auxiliary;oh well, just trivial.

        • couryhousesmecc
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2014
            I used to talk to them in the early 70s on Transcon net her name was
            Mary...

            Ed Sharpe ex AG6LU -became AGA6LU Luke AFB mars...

            In a message dated 7/6/2014 8:42:28 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
            coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com writes:

            That's the way I recall it from years ago, but a lot of doc's online define
            as auxiliary;oh well, just trivial.

          • k9iua
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2014
              MARS has changed its name a few times through the years. According to the entry on Wikipedia:

              Formed in 1925 as the Auxiliary Amateur Radio Service (AARS), serving just the Army

              Name changed to Military Affiliate Radio Service in November 1952, when each military branch added MARS capability.

              On December 23, 2009, the name was changed to Military AUXILIARY Radio Service.

              Kevin Anderson