AT&T Collins, IA

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2002
      I've posted a description and photo of this concrete-tower microwave
      station, courtesy of Terry Michaels:

      http://www19.addr.com/~longline/places-routes/Collins/index.html

      Albert
    • blitz
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
        Report back on Santa Rosa, is they have both an ATT site and a Pac Bell
        site, abandoned, and there is a HUGE amount of HF antenna at the airport.
        Im getting a better description of them presently, whether theyre long wire
        or log pereodic.

        Im "assuming" FEMA would be using long wires, as the logs are directional.
      • hooligan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
          ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

          //////////////////////////////////////
          In a message dated 2/1/2002 6:04:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          blitz@... writes:

          Report back on Santa Rosa, is they have both an ATT site and a Pac Bell
          site, abandoned, and there is a HUGE amount of HF antenna at the airport.
          Im getting a better description of them presently, whether theyre long wire
          or log pereodic.

          Im "assuming" FEMA would be using long wires, as the logs are directional.
          \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

          \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

          Excellent! Sounds like Santa Rosa might just be a FEMA HF outlet, as
          apparently is their Battle Creek Michigan location *now.* It would not be
          uncommon for FEMA to have the directional rotatable log-periodic antennas in
          addition to directional & omnidirectional wire-type antennas, though it seems
          like they generally prefer the omnidirectional & electronically-steerable
          wire arrays.

          I've been to the FEMA Battle Creek HF site, and below is something I wrote
          up a couple years ago about it. To this date, I'm still uncertain if FEMA
          has any sort of soft or hard regional C2 facility (like an FRC) in Battle
          Creek, or if this rather nice & modern (antenna-wise) HF site is
          remote-operated from other known facilities.

          The other obvious question is whether the Battle Creek & Santa Rosa antenna
          sites are for transceive, or if each is just used as a receiver or transmit
          site.

          Battle Creek, Michigan is about 150 miles W of me. Most people have
          only heard of it because it is where Kellogg's is based.

          Militarily, Battle Creek has Fort Custer, which was a large Army post
          dating back to WWI or earlier, but in the 1960s was mostly shut down, with
          some parts retained as a Michigan National Guard facility. Much of the former
          Army Post is in use as an industrial park. The Defense Logistics Agency has
          a very large regional center in the vicinity of Ft. Custer.

          A good web page providing a historical & current-ops SITREP of Ft.
          Custer is:

          www.hnd.usace.army.mil/oew/factshts/factshts/custer.pdf Notice on
          page 7 it mentions a FEMA antenna site.

          Fort Custer Air Force Station was located near Battle Creek, and was a
          SAGE Blockhouse -- . It's now a FOP Lodge, Navy Reserve
          (Seabee unit), USMCR Center, with the SAGE Blockhouse being a commercial
          warehouse. Nearby WK Kellog Airport is home to the MI ANG's 110th FW, which
          operates A/OA-10s now, and I think A-37s prior.

          AUTOVON/DSN directories, radio hobbyist publications, and FEMA
          documents have made mention to a FEMA Region 5 FRC in
          Battle Creek, using callsign WGY905, and having DSN 395-7700. FEMA's regular
          business office for the region is in Chicago.

          Here's a quote from a typical "FEMA is the Anti-Christ!" posting that
          I found on the Internet:

          > Although the director of FEMA was originally subject to
          > oversight by the secretary of defense and the National
          > Security Council, such was not the case for long. One day
          > in the early 1980s, a colleague of this writer attended a
          > joint meeting on the bottom of a five-level deep FEMA
          > installation near Battle Creek, Mich. As the regional
          > director lectured, a USAF colonel half-dozed. But when the
          > speaker explained that in the event of a major civil
          > emergency, the Joint Chiefs of Staff would report to the
          > director of FEMA, the full bird instantly came to life.
          > Eyes shining like those of an eagle, he nearly came out of
          > his chair.

          FEMA might have two separate facilities in/near Battle Creek:

          1. The HF antenna farm, which I've visited.
          2. An FRC or ops facility remotely operating the HF site.

          I found the HF site a couple years ago, after seeing it listed in the
          USACE DERP-FUDS info for Fort Custer. The HF site
          is surprisingly large, and a fenced-in compound located in the middle
          of what is now a state park. It's a low-security
          place -- fenced in with a 4' tall fence, with a simple gate locked by a
          padlock, and a small building in the middle
          of their field. The site is normally unmanned as best I can tell, but
          they do have a good # of very nice HF antennas. Everything seemed soft, i.e.
          no evidence of pop-up antennas. Some
          aspects of the HF facility do make me think it probably dates back to
          the 1960s, or at least 1970s, though the antennas are
          relatively new & in great condition. There's a dumpster near the
          building, and approx. 15 Rhombic-type HF antennas using metal
          towers for support. About a 150' tall tower has a small microwave
          antenna atop it, with the microwave antenna pointing "Eastish." One wire
          antenna is possibly for LF/MF, based on the length. Here's a web site
          on the Ft Custer Recreation Area park that surrounds the HF site:

          http://my.voyager.net/jacobjans/SWMI/fcust.html

          Some checking revealed that the FEMA ops facility (FRC or whatever you
          want to call it) was apparently located in the basement of the Battle
          Creek Federal Center, which is a historic 13 story large building
          located in downtown Battle Creek, formerly the Percy Jones Army
          Hospital. FEMA (then the Federal Civil Defense Administration) moved in
          back in 1954, and in addition to the typical agencies which would be in
          a city's Federal Bldg, the DLA apparently has a lot of offices in there.
          The building is a secured area, requiring inhabitants to display IDs. I
          visited the building around 1996, and did not notice much of any
          antennas on the roof which would fit a FEMA FRC signature. In fact, it
          seemed to have very few antennas at all, and not even a microwave
          antenna that could have been pointing at the HF site about 10 miles
          away. The building was closed for the day by the time I got there, so I
          couldn't go in & see if FEMA was listed on the building directory. I
          did very gently (this was right after the OKC bombing...) asked a worker
          who was coming out of the building if FEMA still had offices there. She
          told me they'd moved out of the basement within the past year or so.
          The telephone directory did list a phone # --with no address-- for FEMA,
          and the exchange was one that apparently covered most of the Battle
          Creek area.

          Web pages with info on the BC Fed Center:

          http://www.michmarkers.com/Pages/S0596.htm
          http://www.jacksonmich.com/aeroshot/battlecreek/federalcenter.html
          http://www2.willard.lib.mi.us/bcphotos/buildings/h23_2895.htm (this one
          tends to indicate the FCDA used most of the building!)
          http://www2.willard.lib.mi.us/bcphotos/buildings/h56_5388.htm (similar
          to the above, only with the Civil & Defense Mobilization moniker)

          SO...............

          The one thing I've definitely found is the FEMA HF site, which seems
          to easily date back to the 1960s, and maybe even 1950s. It has a
          microwave antenna pointing SOMEWHERE. But based on the lack of a visible
          microwave antenna & other antennas (VSAT, etc.) atop the BC Federal Center,
          and what I was told, it seems like FEMA's facility is no longer in the BCFC
          building.

          Tim
          Detroit
        • David Lesher
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2002
            Unnamed Administration sources reported that blitz said:

            > Report back on Santa Rosa, is they have both an ATT site and a Pac Bell
            > site, abandoned, and there is a HUGE amount of HF antenna at the airport.
            > Im getting a better description of them presently, whether theyre long wire
            > or log pereodic.

            ISTM that Santa Rosa was/is a site for FBIS.

            Foreign Broadcast Interception Service was the most public branch
            of the Agency for many years. They record/log{ed} Radio Moscow,
            etc. and disseminate the summaries. They offered same, at least the
            raw content, not just to the Community but to the press.

            As a result, when there was a major budget cut/curtailment, many
            news orgs were among the protesters.

            FBIS's HQ was in the Ames building in Rosslyn. The irony was
            the lobby tenant was The First American Bank, the one Clark
            Clifford and Robert?? {Wonderwoman's husband} were partners/worked
            for/? with a large Arab presence.