1950's Continuity of Government (COG) Facility North Carolina Mountains

  • fantumone
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 20, 2014
      I am reading a book called "Ike's Bluff" by Evan Thomas. On page 257, it is mentioned that the President was taken to a command post bunker in the North Carolina mountains early in his career (1954?) and then again in 1958 he is noted being in a deep bunker in North Carolina on page 269.

      A paraphrase, "When he was shown a special presidential shelter dug into a mountainside in North Carolina, he turned to an aide and said, “Good God, I didn't realize we were this scared.”

      No further clues are given. I am familiar with most of the identified or suspected COG facilities.

      Any suppositions or views on where this might have been?

    • Polo Hat
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 20, 2014
        On Sunday, April 20, 2014, <mr_tjsmith@...> wrote:

        > I am reading a book called "Ike's Bluff" by Evan Thomas. On page 257, it
        > is mentioned that the President was taken to a command post bunker in the
        > North Carolina mountains early in his career (1954?) and then again in 1958
        > he is noted being in a deep bunker in North Carolina on page 269.
        >

        > Any suppositions or views on where this might have been?

        I suppose that asking the author via www.evanthomasbooks.com would be a
        good idea.

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 20, 2014
          Since Eisenhower was known to have been at Mt Weather during Operation Alert(and probably at other times) in those years; and with no known "deep" bunkers in NC in the 1950's,I'd say it's a typo or misinformation that should have read VA.
        • Mike Walker
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 20, 2014
            Probably was Mount Weather, but when was Big Hole in NC built?

            On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 5:03 PM, <ozob99@...> wrote:

            > Since Eisenhower was known to have been at Mt Weather during Operation
            > Alert(and probably at other times) in those years; and with no known "deep"
            > bunkers in NC in the 1950's,I'd say it's a typo or misinformation that
            > should have read VA.

          • fantumone
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
              That's what I would have thought.

              Later in the book I find they mention a third Operation Alert and his presence in the deep underground bunker at High Point, North Carolina...

            • fantumone
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                Big Hole was bought in 1962.

              • fantumone
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                  Must be a Mount Weather.

                  Thanks all.

                • fantumone
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                    Thanks...hadn't thought of that option.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                      Yes, it does sound like the writer might have confused the High Point code
                      name with the name of North Carolina city, which is well-known for its
                      furniture industry:

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Point,_North_Carolina

                      Albert

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                        Probably confused the code name High Point for the town in NC.
                      • fantumone
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                          Still waiting on a response from the author.

                          What is challenging in that Area "B", the underground portion of the Mt Weather facility, was only opened in 1959.

                          I am also sure there are other facilities that have never been disclosed or are now closed/deactivated.

                          The various timings in the book narrative place Ike in an underground facility in 1954 and 1958 allegedly in the mountains of North Carolina.

                          I'm just curious and it seemed very odd.

                        • fantumone
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                            Interesting though that there is a place called High Point (with a nearby cellphone microwave complex on Spivey Mountain) in Buncombe County, near Asheville, NC and less than 10 Kms from the Biltmore Estate. Art from DC Gallery's was moved to the Biltmore for hiding during WWII. The state would have been a nice large interim facility until Greenbriar and Mt Weather were completed.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                              There was a relo site in Asheville but not a bunker, just a few rooms at the Grove Park Inn for the Supreme Court justices.
                            • John Young
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                                The various answers of full confidence in accuracy, suggests
                                that compartmentalization is effective. Those with high level
                                of secrecy often believe they know what others do not. But that
                                is conventional management of insiders to treasure what they think
                                are deepest secrets. Strange elitist cult, official secrecy, but then
                                the appeal of all secrecy is the illusory pleasure of being inside a
                                special cult where godawful behavior is fostered, excused and
                                praised for adhering to protection of the cult and sharing in its
                                exclusive benefits.

                                Rogue insiders regularly elect to blow the whistle most often
                                because expectations didn't work out, another cultist claque
                                cheated the rogue, set the rogue up to take blame, made the
                                rogue an example to scare others, or the rogue simply decided
                                this kind of elitism was a filthy habit leading to isolation from
                                decent people.

                                Then the rogues set up, or join, another cult of whistlblowing.
                                Or more often writes a quasi-accurate account of what the cult
                                is like, shocking readers by teasing revelations, implying far
                                worse cannot be revealed to avoid endangering inmates,
                                family, the nation, the world.

                                Meanwhile cult entrepereneurs work up new models which
                                assuredly are superior to the old, that these are truly honorable
                                and in the interest of the public, not like the old kind which was
                                corrupted by success, overreach, cheating and lying.

                                You know by now this is about General Motors, or is it JP Morgan,
                                or Wall Street, or for goodness sakes, most sacred national
                                security, or for god's sake the dome of St Peter, the black
                                rock of Islam, the fat gut of Buddha.
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                                  There may have been some areas not opened until 1958 & later, but I worked with a number of tech's
                                  who were there in the day, and the AT&T underground CO dates from at least 1956, and they served customers below them.
                                • fantumone
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                                    Just found the document for the Supreme Court to takeover a hotel in Asheville, NC. and providing all the types of reasons for a relocation site in Asheville.

                                    Located within km's of a mountain peak called High Point as well as the very large Vanderbilt Mansion Complex.

                                    http://www.scribd.com/doc/137725502/Supreme-Court-Grove-Park-Inn-Contract-04-03-1956 http://www.scribd.com/doc/137725502/Supreme-Court-Grove-Park-Inn-Contract-04-03-1956

                                  • goldsmithtim
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                                      A while I ago I was discussion the Thomas book with Bill Geerhart who obtained the Grove Park Inn documents and we decided he was just wrong.

                                      Ike was at High Point/Mount Weather for Operation Alert 1955. The Associated Press has photos of him walking around the tents of what they called his "secret retreat".
                                      I read an article in the Economist from right after OpAlert 1955 that described Eisenhower going to his “tent city” somewhere else and using the closed circuit television system.
                                      But he definitely went to “High Point” according to this his daily schedule. It reads like it might have been under construction at the time…like he drove to the gate. There were more than tents on top of the mountain at the time.
                                      According to the schedule, he toured the “Map Room in the F.C.D.A building and toured the Administration Building” After that tour he had lunch in the mess tent and then “made an inspection of the Presidential Relocation Site” which suggests the tent city was something of a disinformation operation.
                                      Pages 28- 33.
                                      June 15th – He visited high point, June 17th he went to Fort Richie and had a conference call with people at High Point and “Made a television broadcast”.
                                      http://eisenhower.archives.gov/research/online_documents/presidential_appointment_books/1955/June_1955.pdf http://eisenhower.archives.gov/research/online_documents/presidential_appointment_books/1955/June_1955.pdf

                                      He was also there for 3 hours in 1960 Operation Alert.
                                      See Pages 10-12 (it’s a big file fyi)
                                      http://eisenhower.archives.gov/research/online_documents/presidential_appointment_books/1960/May_1960.pdf http://eisenhower.archives.gov/research/online_documents/presidential_appointment_books/1960/May_1960.pdf

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 21, 2014
                                        Your comments are exactly why I asked the question. I have also worked thru the Ike (his Secretary noted all she would) appointment books and Pathe films: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/usa-operation-alert-nation-wide-air-raid-drill-aka http://www.britishpathe.com/video/usa-operation-alert-nation-wide-air-raid-drill-aka

                                        . But, I have also worked in the bunkers and enabled communications and have always felt that "High Point" was a designation covername for the POTUS terrestrial war site.

                                        I just feel in my old Warrant Officer bones that before Mt. Weather, Greenbriar, Site R, and Cheyenne Mtn the NCA had initial or interim spots to relocate. Sorry to bother but one can't command without communications and the best experts are here.