4000 Mile L3 route

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11, 2014
      Featured in this ad(also posted in Albert's website some time ago):

      http://blog.modernmechanix.com/we-dug-and-refilled-a-4000-mile-trench-to-protect-9300-communications-circuits-against-disaster/

      It is of course the Airmont-Mojave L3I route, but not identified as such.
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 11, 2014
        On 4/11/14 9:26 PM, ozob99@... wrote:
        > It is of course the Airmont-Mojave L3I route, but not identified as such.

        L3I, to be pedantic, I think.

        Do we know the names of all 11 stations? I infer there were many lesser L3I
        stations that were non-junction/

        I wonder why they spent the money they did when L4 was coming down the pike
        right behind them.
      • cpe122
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 12, 2014
          You too could have your own framed print of this: www.ebay.com/itm/251492883482 http://www.ebay.com/itm/251492883482

          Interesting to note that (much of the) same signage used on this route was also used beyond the last underground (Terminal Station) at San Luis Obispo; that is shore end of the HAW-2 cable.

          /cpe

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 12, 2014
            Harold Peach did some research on the L3I construction years ago; here is a list compiled from his work, route maps and various field trip reports, a few Western locations are open as to M or J status.

            I think the 11 undergrounds mentioned were those Mains newly constructed for the route; I count
            28 total T,J & M stations, leaving 17 pre-existing in some manner.

            Please advise of any corrections/updates.

            "T=Terminal M=L3I Main J=Junction and/or pre-existing facility office

            Airmont T
            Pottstown J
            Monrovia J
            Mount Storm M
            Pennsboro M
            Oak Hill M
            Williamstown J
            Orleans M
            Wakefield M
            Newbern J
            Paris M
            Polo M
            Fairview J
            Concordia M
            Russell M
            Scott City M
            Dalhart M
            Lamar RS2 J
            Tucumcari RS2 M
            Vaughn RS M
            Socorro J aka Luis Lopez
            Quemado RS M
            Holbrook RS M
            Flagstaff RS M
            Seligman RS J
            Kingman RS2 M
            Baker RS M
            Mojave RS T unhardened L3 extended to San Luis Obispo"
          • cpe122
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 12, 2014
              ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <ozob99@...> wrote :

              > Harold Peach did some research on the L3I construction years ago; here is a list compiled from his work,
              > route maps and various field trip reports, a few Western locations are open as to M or J status.

              I did some of the last field work on this for Harold; which ones are in question?

              /cpe

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 12, 2014
                I recall previous posts mentioning TD-2 at Kingman; evidence of a previous building entrance at Concodia or one of the adjacent stations; and nobody has posted anything previously on Tucumcari, so I'm not sure what was there besides an L3I main.

              • cpe122
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 12, 2014
                  No junctions in AZ (first junction east of Mojave is Socorro/Luis Lopez according to maps).

                  There were garages at all four locations in AZ except Kingman. Fiber circumvented the L main stations except Flagstaff, which as of a decade ago had seen a lot of new construction.

                  /cpe

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 13, 2014
                    Assuming there were no additional junction locations, and that the "11" manned locations was not a typo or misinformation, it must refer to the terminals and junctions, and not the main stations(which were also manned, but not 24/7); however that adds up to 10, so it may include the far western terminus of San Luis Obispo in the "4000 mile" context; this would also add one additional main station, Maricopa Ca, to the overall route.

                  • cpe122
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 13, 2014
                      That would add two wouldn't it: Maricopa and El Tejon, or is El Tejon not a "main station"?

                      I've hunted for El Tejon half the day traced what I think is the route into the Brite Valley SW of Tehachapi. From there I only got a faint whiff of it west to SR 99, then I lost it completely.

                      I almost going to suggest that these two weren't main stations, but I just found Maricopa.
                      Maricopa,CA,L3/I?,,35.045945,-119.419535 (see ATT_NorCal_1979.jpg)
                      Looks like it's getting maintenance.

                      Still would like to nail down El Tejon.

                      /cpe

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 13, 2014
                        Maricopa is halfway(100 miles) & the logical main location; there is no need for another, power loops can run to 70+ miles from each main.

                        I did verify it, finding CLLI's for Maricopa L repeaters E & W; there were no El Tejon CLLI's for L repeaters;since the cable from Mojave ran thru the area there
                        probably one or more repeaters around Ranch El Tejon.