Nike missile sites

  • cbrammer2003
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014
      In Marin county, north of San Francisco, there is an original and refurbished nike missile site. No propelant in the missiles and no live warheads but real enough that this site is actually listed in USA Russian treaties covering such things.

      Once a month, the site is open with men that actually manned the site back in the day. It is also available but not open most of the month. I had often found it laughable that a leutenant at a missile launch site could throw a 20 kt warhead up to 50,000 foot, 50 miles away from San Francisco and call that defense. The guys that were there corrected my misconception. Only if the Russian bombers were already in the air 500 miles north of San Francisco would the missiles be fired; by that point in time, San Francisco was on the edge of incineration and war just seconds away, if not already. Their personal perspective was theirs' was the final effort to "save San Francisco".
    • couryhousesmecc
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014
        were all NIKE sites nuc equipped in the  late  60s in the US?

        In a message dated 1/11/2014 2:05:39 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, cbrammer2003@... writes:

[...]

      • Christopher Bright
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014
          I'm coming late to this thread, but here's what I know about Nike-Hercules missiles:

          At the peak, there were about 2500 N-H (carrying 2 or 22 kiloton warheads) at 123 launch sites around 26 cities and 10 Air Force bases in 25 states.  Some sites also had a few conventional rounds.  Some locations were run by the regular Army, some by the national guard, and some (such as one in Va near DC) by both.  A "site" was actually two parcels:  one which held the missiles and the second for command and control.

          N-H were first deployed in 1958.  Starting in 1968 they began to be withdrawn.  Most sites were shut by 1974.  The final 2 US locations (in southern Florida) closed in 1979.

          In April 4-6, 2003 (sic) there was a discussion thread here which discussed the comms which inked each site.  I can't access the archives now, but others might be able to do so.

          I do have have an account by a vet who said each site was linked to HQ by "multiple connections to the Air Defense Command Post.  There were dedicated lines for commo and data, back up by a radio net."  The 2 parcels were also linked to each other by phones and AN/TRC-47 radios for back-up.  By  coincidence, I've recently been contacted by someone who wants to know more about N-H C3, so I'll be interested to know if listmembers have further info.

          when sites were shut down, many times helios carried the missiles AND warheads away.  Other times, the disarmament was conducted by truck convoy.

          some of these details (other than the comms specifics) are discussed here:
          Christopher Bright
        • ocsrc
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014
            In Latham, NY, next to the airport, there is a NG base.

            On Wade Rd there is an old missile silo, and I am not sure what type of missiles they had there, or if there were more than one silo.

            I would assume the NG base controlled these sites.

            Anyone have any info on these ?

            Thanks

            Bill

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014

              Where on Wade Road ?

              Not familiar with a missile site there, and I used to spend a lot of time on Wade….

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014
                Blake has proven that he's not familiar with Nike sites anywhere, & that he doesn't let that minor detail stop him from pontificating on Nike matters.

                As someone else already apparently wasted time stating, http://www.ed-thelen.org is a definitive site on Nike stuff, including specific locations and contemporary status of the locations.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014

                  I did have a real smart aleck reply going, but decided to be better than that.   Moderator, could you please address this?

                  I was stationed at the West Haven CT site.

                  (I was also with the 109th AW in Schenectady , and did EMS in Albany , with time in Latham……  Right down the road from Wade Road in Latham.)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014

                    If I may insert a message. Several years ago a group I belong to had a guest speaker that was an expert on coastal fortresses of the United States.  One of items he had with him was a publication covering the Nike system put out by the U.S. Park Service.  He stated it was no longer in paper. At the time I was able to download it in a pdf from the net. I have been trying to find it in my backup hard drives. But no joy yet.

                    Michael W Scheel
                    K0QCS / KPC0QCS
                    Davenport Iowa USA

                  • ocsrc
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 12, 2014
                      On the right side, past Avis Drive, from what I was told.

                      It was used by a classic car owner to store his cars because it had an elevator that he could drive the cars onto and lower them below ground and drive them off.

                      I am guessing this was a NIKE site.  I would guess this was how they got the missiles in and out and the classic car guy used the same method.

                      Not sure if it is still owned by that same guy.

                      This was in the mid 90's.

                      A lot could have changed since then, but the NG base does have an underground command and control center.

                      The ALB airport was closed from 1939 to 1940, and I would guess this is the same time the NG built their underground command center.

                      You would think there would have been more than one missile site around the airport, but this is the only one I know of.

                      Can anyone fill in the gaps ?

                      Thanks

                      Bill