Re: [coldwarcomms] Room 641A

  • Mike Walker
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2013
      I would suggest, especially since you're apparently doing research for fiction you're writing, you be a bit more specific on what you want to know: you've opened up several different topics already. A paragraph explaining the basic outline of your story might help too, not a lot of detail but an outline.

      On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 1:34 AM, <kentondiehl@...> wrote:

      I'm working on a story and I want to involve At&t long lines. Does anyone have any info on room 641a? I am also wondering what the secret programs were called and any info on them from early 1960. Any input could help, my story is a sifi drama.

      Thanks
      Kenton

    • Mike Walker
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2013
        While that's all well and good, I expect you'll find that the more detailed a question you have, the better a response you may get on this forum. I can only speak for myself, but that's what I've observed. Some content is pretty general, but much is technical and some is more of a historic preservation slant as to preserving material history of the Cold War.

        The NSA's snooping is pretty well-documented elsewhere, especially after Snowden's actions. You may well find some guys here who can talk a lot about what the state of comms was in the 60s when Kennedy was president.

        I do applaud your effort to research what you're writing and get facts accurate to support whatever fiction you wish to create.

        On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:52 AM, <kentondiehl@...> wrote:

        wow.. a topic is hard.  lets just say its about JFK and thats about all i and say

      • cpe122
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 2013
          Re: Long Lines, JFK, etc.

          We all know why the Washington-Moscow hotline went in...  Why did the WHCO insist the circuit be moved to TAT-3 upon it's completion?

          /cpe
        • cpe122
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 2013
            Note that some of the L carrier cables (branches thereof) ended up in undersea cable stations (where other undersea cable stations had no such L connection).  Examples include Green Hill and San Luis Obispo (1964?).  Want to guess why?

            /cpe
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 2013

              Presumably to reduce the chance of intercept/interruptions since the route from Clarendon to Portland included

               microwave links; IIRC Tuckerton had "L" connectivity to Washington.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 27, 2013

                Again, I suspect it was to allow high priority circuits  100% cable connectivity,thus reducing chances of intercept.

                IIRC JCSAN/COPAN & other high priority gov't circuits were on HAW-2 at SLO, also the Autovon gateway to CINCPAC; and I believe TAT-5 out of Greenhill carried the wideband secure voice circuit from NMCC to CINCEUR  as well as JCSAN et al.

              • ColdWar
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 27, 2013
                  Nixon was one reason

                  Sent from my iPhone
                • cpe122
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 29, 2013
                    Tuckertons's L's supposedly only connected it to two redundant microwave junctions (I never could fathom why one or both L's weren't extended the relatively short distance to one of serveral through routes).  Certainly those radio routes were MUCH shorter than those of the first two TATs make them significantly less expensive to encrypt.  I think perhaps the nature to the microwave route tor Clarendon very well might make it subject to evesdropping from international waters too (without encryption).

                    /cpe