Comsat History

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2013
      http://www.comara.org/home/index.asp

      Checkout links under Legacy in right column
    • cappy755
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2013

        I took a bunch of photographs of the several of the INTELSAT satellite dishes as they were being disassembled at the former  COMSATproperty in Clarksburg, MD.  All of the satellite dishes have now been removed from the COMSAT property.  Let me know if there is anyone interested and I'll be happy to post them.  Although I didn't work for COMSAT or INTELSAT, it is sad to see the final closure of any Satellite Comms work at the former R&D facility.  Kinda like losing a family member

      • Mike Cowen
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2013
          I'd love to see the photos.

          Mike

          At 10:10 AM 12/18/2013, you wrote:

          I took a bunch of photographs of the several of the INTELSAT satellite dishes as they were being disassembled at the former  COMSATproperty in Clarksburg, MD.  All of the satellite dishes have now been removed from the COMSAT property.  Let me know if there is anyone interested and I'll be happy to post them.  Although I didn't work for COMSAT or INTELSAT, it is sad to see the final closure of any Satellite Comms work at the former R&D facility.  Kinda like losing a family member

            Mike Cowen      Practice random acts of kindness
                                        and selfless acts of beauty.
           mcowen@...            -Anonymous

        • couryhousesmecc
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 18, 2013
            If  you want to  write up captions  for the photos  and a story  to go  with it... I  can  create  a section  on the  www.smecc.org  step  from you to have them,.

            yea... end of  an  era..  lots of the hughes   folk we  buying comsat stock at  first  issue  my  parents  bout  me  10 shares. I watched   syncom  being built ;

            ed sharpe archivist for smecc  www.smecc.org

            In a message dated 12/18/2013 10:10:58 A.M. US Mountain Standard Tim, cappy755@... writes:

            I took a bunch of photographs of the several of the INTELSAT satellite dishes as they were being disassembled at the former  COMSATproperty in Clarksburg, MD.  All of the satellite dishes have now been removed from the COMSAT property.  Let me know if there is anyone interested and I'll be happy to post them.  Although I didn't work for COMSAT or INTELSAT, it is sad to see the final closure of any Satellite Comms work at the former R&D facility.  Kinda like losing a family member

          • Charles S Osborne K4CSO
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 2013

              I spent a few days at COMSAT Clarksburg helping to disassemble a 24x24x100ft anechoic chamber at the facility (with two others on this list). Amazing place. Giant clean rooms and labs in a facility the size of a shopping mall. The freight elevator was big enough to drive two SUVs into and go to the roof. Most of the facility was already stripped of key items by the time we were turned lose in there. But we got enough Echosorb to do two smaller antenna range chambers (one at Morehead State University in KY [ http://www.moreheadstate.edu/ssc/ ] , and the other at Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute in NC [ http://www.pari.edu ]). My portion filled a 24ft box truck so full that we got a clean room parts cabinet and didn't even tie it down. Packed the foam around it. Drove 300 miles to NC without even spilling the parts in the bins.

              So at least a little of COMSAT got recycled into space science educational facilities. But not enough. Most of the COMSAT remains probably ended up in landfills or metal scrap.

              A shame to see that and then the continuing disassembly of American basic research over the past fifteen years, culminating in the scrapping of NASA's manned space flight capability. You don't get great discoveries in a risk averse short sighted society. How many "rocket scientists" are underemployed saying "Welcome to Walmart" or "do you want fries with that?" today.. if they can find work at all. Hope we pull out of this power dive soon. Doesn't help when Washington is pushing the yoke ever forward to steepen the dive.

              73,
              Charles, K4CSO