AT&T Antenna Range

  • CLDWARHIST@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 1999
      Just checked the distance between Jasper, AL GEP and Graysville, Alabama-which
      MAY be the site of "Graysville 2", I'm not sure. THe distance is approx. 32
      miles line of sight-is that a little too far for the horns?
      George
    • Dave Emery
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19, 1999
        On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 09:11:22PM -0500, CLDWARHIST@... wrote:
        > From: CLDWARHIST@...
        >
        > Just checked the distance between Jasper, AL GEP and Graysville, Alabama-which
        > MAY be the site of "Graysville 2", I'm not sure. THe distance is approx. 32
        > miles line of sight-is that a little too far for the horns?
        > George

        Depends on terrain. The longest hop I've heard of was
        58 miles, but they usually tried to stay around 20-30 at the most.
        What determines the length possible is whether there exists line
        of sight between the tops of the towers. In some places this is
        easy at 32 miles, in others no way...

        --
        Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
        PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19, 1999
          George,

          In Street Atlas, I'm seeing the distance between the Jasper and Graysville
          2 stations as about 24 mi., which is in the normal range of AT&T m/w path
          lengths.

          Jasper is at N33-47-48, W87-20-32.
          Graysville2 is at N33-39-06, W86-57-53.

          BTW, I traced a little more of the route. Going W to E, it's Jasper,
          Graysville, Red Mountain (S of Birmingham), and Elbow Gap (NW of Pell
          City). The route continues E from this station, but Jasper seems to be the
          W end.

          ...Albert

          Message text written by INTERNET:coldwarcomms@onelist.com